Needs debunking: "Magnetic water" for treating diabetes

I was extremely dissapointed to find this press release from the University of Cincinnati, which is allegedly a serious educational institution:

Ginkgo biloba may aid in treating Type 2 Diabetes, UC researcher says

It was a very small study involving only 40 rats, of which only 10 received magnetized water and another 10 Ginkgo biloba.

All of the 13 authors come from institutions in Saudia Arabia or Egypt, and the research was Saudi-funded. One of the authors also happens to be a post-doc at the University of Cincinnati, which is how this news ended up on their website (as well as on sites like Medical Xpress and Science Daily which reprint press releases). I haven't seen it in the mainstream news yet.

Anyway, I wanted to write to the university and complain, but I haven't been able to find any good articles debunking "magnetic water". I think the concept is so physically and chemically ludicrous that no reputable academic journal has bothered to print anything about it. I've found articles by freelance debunkers on various sites, but nothing that I can wave in the face of the university's Public Information Officer and say "Look! You're pushing pseudoscience!"

Any suggestions?

[Slightly-related Metabunk thread: Dubious Claim: Radio-wave treated water improves crop output. But this covers mostly radio treatment and not magnetic treatment.]

Doug Keenan

Earth has a natural magnetic field. All water can be said to pass through a magnetic field, or even an electric field for that matter. If the research does not specify the nature of the field it's a useless claim on that basis.

Dan Wilson

Senior Member.
The paper itself is a mess. Why they decided to throw in magnetic water is beyond me. Water itself can't be magnetized, "magnetic water" just refers to an unproven method of removing metals from water. If the researchers really wanted to test the effects of magnetic water on their rats, they would have included hard water (lots of metal) and soft water (no metal) as controls. Instead, we have gingko extract and magnetic water being tested on a small sample size. It would have been much more impactful to cut out the magnetic water and only study gingko extract or only study magnetic water with proper controls. The design just makes no sense and you can't possibly draw any solid conclusions from it.
This statement by the researcher is a gigantic overstatement on the validity of the research. Their findings need to be tested again with a larger sample size and more controls in rats, NOT humans. Their data in no way justifies funding the use of magnetic water in human clinical trials. There isn't even a plausible mechanism as to how the magnetic water is having the supposedly observed effect. In their discussion, the researchers suggest that it has something to do with scavenging reactive oxygen species (ROS) from the cells. But I don't see any plausible way "magnetized" water would do this.

There only seems to be one other paper looking at magnetic water in a diabetic rat model. They also don't have the controls I mentioned above but claimed to find beneficial effects. However, in their introduction they say this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3572224/pdf/nrp-7-34.pdf
Hexagonal water is basically a marketing scam. These shapes have been observed in water but they last on the order of femtoseconds (that's 10^-15 seconds). https://www.pnas.org/content/102/40/14171
Overall, I'd say that their research is very sloppy but that alone does not qualify their work as pseudoscience. Their claims, however, are 100% pseudoscience and not supported by any body of literature.

Thanks for the comments -- I agree.

Does anyone know where I can find a good "scholarly" explanation of why magnetic water is bunk?

I'm trying to look at it from the viewpoint of the university Public Information Officer who wrote the article. On the one hand, he's looking at a peer-reviewed published paper from a journal that claims to have a 3.319 Impact Factor, which is not completely awful, from a publisher who doesn't appear on the late great Beall's List of predatory publishers. On the other hand, he's got (or will get) an irate e-mail from me, and my only references are blog and forum posts from people who claim expert knowledge. I'd like to be more persuasive than that.

deirdre

Senior Member.
On the one hand, he's looking at a peer-reviewed published paper from a journal that claims to have a 3.319 Impact Factor,
…..
he's got (or will get) an irate e-mail from me,
and still his entire article and title are focused on Ginko Biloba. and even with that the article is using words like "promising", "may offer" etc.

Hetta is the only one mentioning magnetized water, which is part of the rat study the article is about. And he say ginko Biloba "has been shown to", where as magnetized water "has been reported to".

Bunk or not, the article is just reporting the findings of the very small study in male rats. Noone, not even Hetta, are claiming you CAN use magnetized water to treat diabetes.

If you want scholarly, try Google Scholar.

Dan Wilson

Senior Member.
Does anyone know where I can find a good "scholarly" explanation of why magnetic water is bunk?
I'm not sure that you will find scholarly articles written directly about magnetic water. Instead, you would have to read other articles that describe properties of water and magnetism to understand the principles that explain why it is bunk. Luckily, people like Steve Lower mentioned in the post above have already done that.

Thanks, all. I tried digging a little further. http://www.chem1.com/CQ/magwatscams.html is a good starting point; it led me to a rather gigantic "Water Structure and Science" site by chemistry professor Martin Chaplin. Here is his section on Magnetic effects on water, which covers a lot of ground in five paragraphs, has lots of references, and led me into a rat's nest of journal articles, some of which support the magnetic water concept. Are they believable? I don't know -- I think I could spend months trying to answer that.

Here's some interesting speculation from 20 years ago: The elusive mechanism of the magnetic ‘memory’ of water

Anyway, I guess I'm done. Maybe after my wife retires from her chemical engineering job, we can tackle analyzing all this stuff just for fun. :)

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
In my school years I read in a popular Soviet magazine about similar "properties" attributed to meltwater ('талая вода'). Half a century later, this belief still goes strong in Russia, merging with 'magnetic water'.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
gtoffo Needs Debunking: "UFO crash" near Rio de Janeiro UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 17
Code-Beta Needs Debunking: CE-5, humans initiating UFO sightings UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 8
G Needs debunking: Video of a solar eclipse is fake because we cannot see the moon covering the sun Flat Earth 5
Syrez Needs Debunking: NYPD transmission, 9/11 Exploding Mural Van" 9/11 31
Libertarian Needs Debunking: More Guns = More Crime General Discussion 156
Alchemist Needs Debunking: Leaked DARPA Document General Discussion 6
mynym 9/11 Youtube video... needs debunking. 9/11 29
xtristarx Debunked: National Weather Service needs writers - on Craigslist General Discussion 28
derwoodii ISIS suicide bomber's car explodes in mid air, needs analysis General Discussion 15
Mick West Debunking Correlations Between 5G deployments and Coronavirus Coronavirus COVID-19 14
Pumpernickel Need Debunking: Foucault's Pendulum debunked through Mach's principle (the Earth is a static object in the center of the Universe) Science and Pseudoscience 16
Mick West TFTRH #34 - Stian Arnesen: Debunking, Censorship, 9/11, and UFOs Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 0
H Need Debunking: Hernando County platforms from more than 10 miles Flat Earth 9
Mick West TFTRH #14: Rory – Flat Earth Debunking and Spiritual Journeys Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 6
Qulaey Two problems need help debunking and debating tips? please. Flat Earth 9
Scaramanga The Easy And Logical Debunking Of UFO 'Size' UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 1
Mendel MediaWise #IsThisLegit program Practical Debunking 1
brad fuller Does the inverse-square law apply to the flat-earth debunking tool chest? Flat Earth 4
mudr0 Need Debunking: Video claiming zigzaggin objects and movement prove EVA filmed in pool General Discussion 33
vooke Need debunking: Writings in the sky Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
Mick West Debunking 9/11 Microsphere Myths 9/11 0
Starman Debunking Bob Lazar's drawing of S-4 hangers UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 15
Mick West Debunking Guidelines for: "Convex Earth - The Documentary" Flat Earth 0
T Debunking needed – anomalous mp3 recording distortion UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 12
Mick West Here's to the "Debunker"! Practical Debunking 1
ConfusedHominid Need Debunking (Claim): Metabunk Curve Calculator Does Not Calculate for Angular Size Flat Earth 13
Mick West NY Times: In Italian Schools, Reading, Writing and Recognizing Fake News Practical Debunking 60
Mick West Debunking: A Meta-Analysis of the Psychological Efficacy of Messages Countering Misinformation Practical Debunking 5
Rory Where online is debunking most effective? Practical Debunking 14
Whitebeard Martymer 81 Practical Debunking 4
N Neeson's anti-debunking thoughts Site Feedback & News 15
Mick West Fireproof Cabbage, Burning Snow, Flat Earth - Are Some Things too Silly to Debunk? Practical Debunking 7
Mick West Burying the Debunk: How Fake News about "Pyramids" in Antarctica Creates False Balance UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 2
Mick West Debunking911.com offline - How to Preserve Good Debunking Sites? 9/11 3
Sam Hill Debunking "That's not a Space Station, it's an airplane" Flat Earth 1
Mick West When Absence of Evidence is Evidence of Absence in Conspiracy Theories Practical Debunking 35
Rogerpenna Debunking Flat Earth with the Southern Hemisphere Flat Earth 11
Leifer Polite video interviewing/debunking Practical Debunking 8
Veronica! Any resources for debunking a 'cold case' UFO sighting? Practical Debunking 7
M Flat Earth theory simple debunking by the moon's appearance Flat Earth 48
mrfintoil Study: When Debunking Scientific Myths Fails (and When It Does Not) Practical Debunking 3
deirdre study on how to 'sway people' Practical Debunking 0
Leifer Pseudo debunking, trickery, product promos Health and Quackery 10
MikeG College Course on Conspiracies Practical Debunking 89
Leifer Harriet Hall, on debunking methods Practical Debunking 2
keefe Debunking guide Practical Debunking 3
Critical Thinker Why we debunk and who do we reach. Practical Debunking 2
Trigger Hippie Russian Troll Houses Practical Debunking 24
Mick West Finding the Original Source in a World of Aggregators, Shares, and Reposts Practical Debunking 32
David Ridlen Earth curvature refraction experiments - debunking flat/concave Earth Flat Earth 344
Related Articles

Related Articles