Needs debunking: flat earthers claim this reflection to show a harness in ISS video

Vaeltaja

This is a clip from the video of Megan McArthur and Thomas Pesquet answering questions of kids:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_XB4j4vVXo

At one point (2:00) Thomas attachs the tablet to the back wall and later when he jumps down (16:20), the tablet shows a reflection of something that flat earthers are claiming to be a harness; whict they think NASA uses to "fake space".

The flat earthers video:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeJuLGCyY3g

The tablet, visible above Pesquet's shoulder, shows a white stripe that is moving with the astronaut, so it's presumably something on his back. I've spent a minute trying to find a picture of his polo shirt and failed, in the hopes that it would simply be some wrinkled print on its back.Thomas Pesquet reflection.jpg
Maybe it's just a part of the silhoutte of his head, outlined because of a strong light source from the side?

Edit: yes, looking at the clip, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. You can glimpse the other side of his head as well if you replay it at 0.25 speed.

Thomas Pesquet light.jpgThomas Pesquet original reflection.jpg

It fits with the angle and the distance of the "mirror" tablet, too.

Last edited:
im pretty sure its the illuminated wrinkle on his shoulder that probably extends to the back. it would match position and orientation. The light source on the right (our view) would illuminate it as well the same way it illuminates it at the front / top.

Sidetracking: i really wonder what happens in a brain to see and believe this to be a harness (not as an insult, just the thought process a-z.) before everything else. I mean in their minds, is her hair attached to invisible strings as well? What about the paper and the penguin? Are they serious or is this some kind of "fun project" such as the people who try to find Elvis in a crow for giggles but aint seriously believing its the king?72018C19-41D5-4710-8A7F-C2DA330712BB.jpeg

Last edited:
im pretty sure its the illuminated wrinkle on his shoulder that probably extends to the back. it would match position and orientation. The light source on the right (our view) would illuminate it as well the same way it illuminates it at the front / top.

i really wonder what happens in a brain to see and believe this to be a harness (not as an insult, just the thought process a-z.) before everything else.
To be 100% fair to them -- folks here are seeing it as several different things: it's an ambiguous stimulus that can be interpreted many ways. From their point of view,anything that cannot be identified easily may be evidence of the fakery.

(It would be interesting to see a case of a space video that was indeed faked and touted as real. I am sure folks here would spot actual signs of fakery pretty quickly, I wonder how many "it's just a reflection of his arm on the shiny tablet" would fool us, at least for a time...)

I mean in their minds, is her hair attached to invisible strings as well?
Thousands of them!
(More seriously, in my experience they just say "hairspray" and change the subject.)

wasnt there moon landing footage that was believed to be shot at a studio and should be used in case the landing failed? iirc they released a snippet of it by accident but everyone believed it was real?

btw you dont have to search for such footage very long, every Hollywood movie in space is faked. if the nasa would fake space, why would they use harnesses and strings as in a cheap puppetry and dont do it properly? lol

wasnt there moon landing footage that was believed to be shot at a studio and should be used in case the landing failed? iirc they released a snippet of it by accident but everyone believed it was real?

btw you dont have to search for such footage very long, every Hollywood movie in space is faked. if the nasa would fake space, why would they use harnesses and strings as in a cheap puppetry and dont do it properly? lol
There is multiple online "reveal" videos of where someone took clips from movies or movie making documents of films and tried to convince their audience that it was made by NASA. For me it's very hard to understand why would someone do such jobs.

Last edited:
Sidetracking: i really wonder what happens in a brain to see and believe this to be a harness (not as an insult, just the thought process a-z.) before everything else. I mean in their minds, is her hair attached to invisible strings as well? What about the paper and the penguin? Are they serious or is this some kind of "fun project" such as the people who try to find Elvis in a crow for giggles but aint seriously believing its the king?
no, they believe that NASA faked everything (in a live broadcast with school kids) but they overlooked this reflection by mistake, which exposes the rest of the huge fakery that is going on

no, they believe that NASA faked everything (in a live broadcast with school kids) but they overlooked this reflection by mistake, which exposes the rest of the huge fakery that is going on
There are also multiple other things that could be much harder to fake than someone jumping, which already is really hard even for Hollywood.
For example all of those micro movements in the background. See for example that video and click in the random places in the timeline while focusing in some objects in the ceiling and walls etc. Literally everything there is moving all the time, cause it's in micro gravity and there is a slight air current to push all the elements all the time due air conditioning. That I think would be really hard to do.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8K96XHxi7I

Last edited:
There are also multiple other things that could be much harder to fake than someone jumping, which already is really hard even for Hollywood.
For example all of those micro movements in the background. See for example that video and click in the random places in the timeline while focusing in some objects in the ceiling and walls etc. Literally everything there is moving all the time, cause it's in micro gravity and there is a slight air current to push all the elements all the time due air conditioning. That I think would be really hard to do.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8K96XHxi7I

The most obvious thing in that vid that couldn't be done with wires is the bangle with the loose charm on the leftmost wrist as we view them - it's continually being knocked by her arm's movement. Clearly CGI! I'm disappointed that there wasn't some out of control hair on display, but maybe that's just me. As someone with proper metallers hair (I was even known simply as Ruuhkatukka with one group of friends), I wonder if hair would be more or less out of control in microgravity.

DK, but I've seen a cropped image from this Swedish lottery ad presented as proof that it was all filmed on a soundstage...

swedish lottery moon landing apollo set.png

Back