Need Debunking: Apollo 12 LM caught on a wire

Movybuf1979

So in this video here: Source: https://youtu.be/EeeeTVr4Lyg
at the 12:58 mark the S-Band antenna near the top left of the LM moves strangely. Someone I was conversing with said that is evidence that the model got caught on a wire as they were moving it. I thought the strange looking movement was due to being filmed in 6 FPS. It's beginning to be a bit of a head scratcher for me. I think I saw the S-Band antenna moving is some other docking film, but it wasn't that "floppy" looking. Does anyone know what is going on there?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member

I think the key here would be to find some detail of the actual mechanism.

Attachments

• Untitled Project.mov
    10.8 MB · Views: 1,996

Matt33

According to the flight protocol there seemed to be something wrong with the antenna. Conversation about that starts around 145:28:26.
https://history.nasa.gov/afj/ap12fj/17day6_ftstd.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Movybuf1979

According to the flight protocol there seemed to be something wrong with the antenna. Conversation about that starts around 145:28:26.
https://history.nasa.gov/afj/ap12fj/17day6_ftstd.html

That doesn't work since Bean and Conrad were in the LM and seem to be talking about the S-band antenna on the CM.

The docking was also broadcast on live TV - here's some of it on the evening news

Source: https://youtu.be/Cl4pPHyiIQc

The roll seems much slower in that.

Any modelling would need to have been done live. The LM also does a quite long roll that would need considerable more of these invisible wires.

Bean and Conrad would not have been able to see the steerable S-band antenna from their windows. They make no comment about the antenna in the technical debrief.

Miss VocalCord

Senior Member.
The docking was also broadcast on live TV - here's some of it on the evening news

Source: https://youtu.be/Cl4pPHyiIQc

The roll seems much slower in that.

Any modelling would need to have been done live. The LM also does a quite long roll that would need considerable more of these invisible wires.

Bean and Conrad would not have been able to see the steerable S-band antenna from their windows. They make no comment about the antenna in the technical debrief.
They do talk earlier about S-band antenna (around 9:35 in the above clip), that would be the one on the CSM then right?

145:28:16 Gordon: Okay.

145:28:26 Conrad: Look at that S-band antenna of his [garble] track.

145:28:33 Bean: Is it moving?

145:28:37 Conrad: Also, that is extremely interesting. Look at the cover on the [garble].

145:28:44 Conrad: Huh?

145:28:47 Bean: Okay. Cover on what?

145:28:48 Bean: Look at the umbilical cover. Do you suppose that's where it got hit by lightning or something? What's made it brown? Look at the top of it; it's burned.

Still amazing how much info can be found about all these details, this document goes into quite some detail about the steerable antenna and the testing of it, although this quote is about Apollo 11:

During revolution 12 with the communications system in the basic mode (using the S-band steerable antenna), S-band voice and data were lost at 99:08 g. e. t., and the S-band steerable antenna drove into the stops. After repositioning, the antenna reacquired good voice and data.
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19720023255/downloads/19720023255.pdf

Last edited:
I've had a better chance to look at this now, and I may well have been mistaken concerning the speed comparison between 16mm and TV footage. Tha audio for the TV is difficult to make out, but the audio from Houston that says

145:32:25 Carr: Intrepid, Houston. Give us Low Bit Rate

can be made out clearly at the end of the roll.

Working backwards from there, at 29 seconds before that we can hear:

145:31:56 Bean: My antenna's okay.

and this is at about the same time that we see the S-band antenna make the movement in question. The S-Band antenna is on the LMP side, ie Alan Bean.

The antenna was steerable, and could be moved either manually or automatically, and my personal interpretation is that Bean moves the antenna, and as it locks into position it rocks backward and forward from the momentum of that movement.

JMartJr

The antenna was steerable, and could be moved either manually or automatically, and my personal interpretation is that Bean moves the antenna, and as it locks into position it rocks backward and forward from the momentum of that movement.
Did it have any automatic "hunt for the signal"sort of capabillity? If so, I wonder if it was panning back and forth a bit at the end to find the maximum signal, after a possibly manual move?

Did it have any automatic "hunt for the signal"sort of capabillity? If so, I wonder if it was panning back and forth a bit at the end to find the maximum signal, after a possibly manual move?
Good question.

"Manual" is possibly a misleading description, as it implies some sort of crankable handle, when in fact it was driven by dials that sent signals to a motor (one of the problems faced by Apollo 16 was the failure of one of these motors).

This link

https://i.stack.imgur.com/MANqU.gif

shows panel 12, which has the controls for the antenna and S-Band operation. I'm trying to look through the technical documentation for more clarification, but they are, um..technical!

Edit to add: This document https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19730005491/downloads/19730005491.pdf does describe an auto-tracking feature of the system, but whether that is what is happening here is another question. You'd need to see where Earth is!

Last edited:

Movybuf1979

Good question.

"Manual" is possibly a misleading description, as it implies some sort of crankable handle, when in fact it was driven by dials that sent signals to a motor (one of the problems faced by Apollo 16 was the failure of one of these motors).

This link

https://i.stack.imgur.com/MANqU.gif

shows panel 12, which has the controls for the antenna and S-Band operation. I'm trying to look through the technical documentation for more clarification, but they are, um..technical!

Edit to add: This document https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19730005491/downloads/19730005491.pdf does describe an auto-tracking feature of the system, but whether that is what is happening here is another question. You'd need to see where Earth is!
I wonder if there was some kind of technical glitch that caused the erratic movement? There's nothing listed in the anomalies section of the mission report, but maybe this didn't show up as an error code anywhere. It's also odd because on the Apoll 11 docking footage the movement of the steerable S-Band antenna is nice and smooth. In the film from the other Apollo missions you cannot see the antenna, so there's not much to compare to.

Miss VocalCord

Senior Member.
There is some mentioning of the s-band antenna functioning in the Apollo 12 mision report ( https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a12/A12_MissionReport.pdf )
14.1.6 S-band Signal Strength Variations
Operation of the S-band high gain antenna in the narrow beam mode resulted in a decrease of approximately 10 to 12 dB in both uplink and downlink signal strength on several occasions .
I feel pity for the people having to write these kind of documents just to fake it all... ;)

Nada Truther

I was wondering the same thing.... The problem that Is, and what might cause a Conspiracy Theorist to salivate a little, is the movement looks like it is bouncing a bit... As an object would, if it were being acted upon by gravity. If something were forced with some momentum to its limit, then it hits that limit and is free to move backwards... would it bounce like that. if it was looking for a signal, would it move that quickly?

From what I've read in other reports, the steerable antenna seems to work by the astronaut finding Earth manually, then when it's got a decent signal lock they enable autotracking. There are several reports (in addition to the one quoted above) where the CSM S-band moves around a lot in its auto-tracking (caused by faulty circuitry), but nothing specific about the LM's antenna. The S-Band should be pointing at Earth, so it's not unreasonable that the antenna moves when the LM starts its station keeping and getting ready to dock with the CSM.

The docking sequence footage takes place with the crater Lame in view, which is at around 64 Degrees East longitude and 15 degrees south latitude. The S-Band should therefore be pointing up and into the distance away from us if it's communicating with Earth, which it is.

Close examination of the sequence where it starts to rotate shows that the tracking motors instantly kick in, followed by the sudden change in orientation and oscillation. It's very similar to the issue reported by Apollo 16, where it was described as "oscillating".

While comms between the LM and CSM were being done by VHF (possibly the antenna to which Bean refers), data still needed to be sent to Earth, and there is no indication at all from the ground that there was a loss of data or that there was an issue with the S-Band after docking (it was needed during the jettison and de-orbit process).

Personally, I think something 'twangs' during the roll as it tries to track. Data loss during that roll would be expected and the crew had other things to do. As long as nothing burned out as a result, they would be able to adjust the antenna after docking. Any claim that it is caught on a wire needs to explain where that wire is attached, where the other wires are attached (one wouldn't work), who built and operated the alleged models, how those wires were able to cope with rolling along two different axes without getting entangled, and how dishes in Spain and pointed at the moon were able to receive the live TV signals.

I should also add that the video quoted in the OP has had the audio added and synchronised, the original 16mm has no audio.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
P Need Debunking: "Experimental Vaccine Death Rate for Israel's Elderly 40 Times Higher Than COVID-19 Deaths" Coronavirus COVID-19 7
Pumpernickel Need Debunking: Foucault's Pendulum debunked through Mach's principle (the Earth is a static object in the center of the Universe) Science and Pseudoscience 16
H Need Debunking: Hernando County platforms from more than 10 miles Flat Earth 9
Qulaey Two problems need help debunking and debating tips? please. Flat Earth 9
mudr0 Need Debunking: Video claiming zigzaggin objects and movement prove EVA filmed in pool General Discussion 33
vooke Need debunking: Writings in the sky Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
ConfusedHominid Need Debunking (Claim): Metabunk Curve Calculator Does Not Calculate for Angular Size Flat Earth 13
SabreSaint Need Debunking: CERN To Recreate Big Bang Science and Pseudoscience 26
M Need help debunking this [Low Altitude Survey Flight] Contrails and Chemtrails 6
SabreSaint Need Debunking: Blackwater Deployed To Ukraine? Conspiracy Theories 37
Patrick Gonzalez Need help explaining: NASA images of Earth from 2017 eclipse show different shadow sizes Flat Earth 3
S Need help to identify an object in the sea Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
mudr0 Why do spacesuit-wearing astronauts need blankets after returning to Earth? Science and Pseudoscience 5
Bunkmeister Need help with calculating vertical speed of ascending shadow at sunset Flat Earth 13
MikeG Police Don't Need HS Diploma General Discussion 1
Truthful New published physics article points out NIST limitations and need for new investigation. Conspiracy Theories 3
vooke Need debunking:Ebola conspiracies video Conspiracy Theories 10
A Need explanation: What kind of plane was that? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
derwoodii [Debunked] Jeff Rothschild. In order to finalize the New World Order we need a 3rd world war [Fake] Quotes Debunked 6
zebra100 Need 3/8/14 Andaman Sea Sat Photos to Verify Malaysia Woman Saw Downed MH370 Flight MH370 85
Clock Debunked: "All we need is the right major crisis and the nations will accept the NWO" Quotes Debunked 12
H Need someone savvy on the holocaust Conspiracy Theories 36
FatPhil Debunking backfiring Practical Debunking 33
Mick West Gabriel Sterling Debunking Trumps Accusations from the Raffernsperger Call Election 2020 3
Edward Current Needs Debunking: That the GPS does not implement time corrections from Einstein's relativity Science and Pseudoscience 7
A Needs Debunking: Proposed COVID Vaccine will become part of our DNA, make us programmable Coronavirus COVID-19 37
gtoffo Needs Debunking: "UFO crash" near Rio de Janeiro UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 17
Code-Beta Needs Debunking: CE-5, humans initiating UFO sightings UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 11
Mick West Debunking Correlations Between 5G deployments and Coronavirus Coronavirus COVID-19 14
Mick West TFTRH #34 - Stian Arnesen: Debunking, Censorship, 9/11, and UFOs Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 0
Bill Statler Needs debunking: "Magnetic water" for treating diabetes Health and Quackery 8
Mick West TFTRH #14: Rory – Flat Earth Debunking and Spiritual Journeys Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 6
Scaramanga The Easy And Logical Debunking Of UFO 'Size' UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 1
Mendel MediaWise #IsThisLegit program Practical Debunking 1
brad fuller Does the inverse-square law apply to the flat-earth debunking tool chest? Flat Earth 4
Mick West Debunking 9/11 Microsphere Myths 9/11 0
Starman Debunking Bob Lazar's drawing of S-4 hangers UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 15
Mick West Debunking Guidelines for: "Convex Earth - The Documentary" Flat Earth 0
T Debunking needed – anomalous mp3 recording distortion UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 12
Mick West Here's to the "Debunker"! Practical Debunking 1
Mick West NY Times: In Italian Schools, Reading, Writing and Recognizing Fake News Practical Debunking 60
Mick West Debunking: A Meta-Analysis of the Psychological Efficacy of Messages Countering Misinformation Practical Debunking 5
Rory Where online is debunking most effective? Practical Debunking 14
Whitebeard Martymer 81 Practical Debunking 4
N Neeson's anti-debunking thoughts Site Feedback & News 15
Mick West Fireproof Cabbage, Burning Snow, Flat Earth - Are Some Things too Silly to Debunk? Practical Debunking 7
Mick West Burying the Debunk: How Fake News about "Pyramids" in Antarctica Creates False Balance UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 2
Mick West Debunking911.com offline - How to Preserve Good Debunking Sites? 9/11 3
Sam Hill Debunking "That's not a Space Station, it's an airplane" Flat Earth 1
Mick West When Absence of Evidence is Evidence of Absence in Conspiracy Theories Practical Debunking 35
Related Articles

Related Articles