Misleading "worldwide" UFO reporting map - actually based on US data

Sounds like you're more clued in than me but I would guess other countries have similar numbers of spotters, enthusiasts and magazines. For example, according to a database of worldwide aviation magazines the Dutch have 3 monthly news-stand magazines, while France has 9 and the UK has 8, plus one weekly. Per capita it's pretty even.

Who are the other "most airminded countries"? Would be interesting to see if they have similarly large numbers of UFO reports.
There were other Dutch aviation magazines, but my understanding is they merged over the years to be part of "Scramble." I think "Scramble" is now only available electronically. I subscribed to it for a couple years, but it was too Dutch-centic for me.

I can only talk about those I've personally interacted with to any degree. The Dutch, UK ("Air Britian" of which I'm a longtime member), and Japan (can't remember their national group, it was in Japanese.) I know some of the Eastern European nations have similar reputations, but I never dealt with them since it would have been a hassle at work.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're more clued in than me but I would guess other countries have similar numbers of spotters, enthusiasts and magazines.
The Dutch King Willem-Alexander holds an ATPL (airline transport pilot license) and is qualified to fly Boeing 737s, which he regularly does. I know of no other nation that can top this.

Article:
In mid-2017 the King trained to fly the Boeing 737. He obtained his licence in June 2017, allowing him to continue flying as a guest pilot with KLM.

Got databases?
the skunk ape is most likely counted as bigfoot. mothman...eh.. i think he was seen in chicago? but otherwise its a small locale. chupacabra might be one that can be tracked. there's the Jersey Devil but i dont know how you determine population in the Barrens what with tourists etc.

Which would seem to confirm the hypothesis that reports are more likely to be made during the summer when people are outside more and there are more visitors.
I spent a few years in holland and speak dutch fluently, yeah the summer months are about the only time people spend outside at night, its too cold otherwise. I assume if you're not accustomed to being outside at night you could mistake a common phenomena for a UFO which you'ld be less likely if you saw it each day of the year.
Perhaps they are airminded they certainly aint a nation of stargazers as there is so much light pollution there. I think its impossible to see the milkyway from there, The first time I saw it was in maybe 200km away, in germany.
I'ld say NZ would be near the top as in number of private planes/helicopters per person, the skies are far busier than anything you see in europe (though commercial planes the opposite, europe is far busier) Not sure why that is, I assume the rules are more lax in nz.

This thread was started to debunk the US-based map that was being shared to promote the unproven idea that UFO sightings are a US/cultural phenomenon.

Since that's been done it's kind of turned into a "why do some states have more garner more UFO reports than others?" with many ideas being put forward as to what might contribute to that.

I have the feeling a proper investigation there might yield some answers - but that it would require work.

Question is: is it worth doing?

If so, I'll have a think about it and start a proper thread.

If not, probably better for me. :)

Question is: is it worth doing?
kinda depends on the outcome

if you can establish that UFO report numbers depend on phenomena that are unrelated to actual alien visits, that'd support the idea that there aren't any alien visits.

if you can establish that UFO report numbers depend on phenomena that are unrelated to actual alien visits, that'd support the idea that there aren't any alien visits.
Or at least that the distribution of reports are not related to the distribution of any actual aliens.

Or at least that the distribution of reports are not related to the distribution of any actual aliens.

So where do we find a good source of data for the "distribution of actual aliens"? ;)

Last edited:
So where do we find a good source of data for the "distribution of actual aliens"?
We don't. But looking at the distribution of reports may not tell us anything about the distribution of aliens, or the existence of them.

Distribution of reports does not necessarily ressemble distribution of sightings -- factors other than the frequency of sightings in an area (alien or otherwise) will influence frequency of reports. For example, if there is some entity easily accessible which is collecting reports will influence how many reports are received. Whether a population is culturally primed/prone to interpret a light in the sky as a reportable UFO will influence reports being received. Other factors probably will as well, and I would think of more but today is Halloween Setup Day and I need to get back to work. :)

But those factors will influence reporting regardless of whether some, none or all of the sightings are of aliens. I don't see how the distribution of reports tells us much at all about what is being seen -- factors such as already mentioned would influence report frequency whether the good folks were seeing starlink, or drones, or ball lightning, or beings from Dimension X, or aliens.

Back