Michigan QAnon follower shoots wife, daughter

Yes, it's poorly defined. Some follow Qanon, and others follow them. The line is blurred. When a person who has wide influence (say, an ex-President or the news anchor on a major right-wing TV station) repeats untrue comments that seem to have originated with "Q", it is no longer clear-cut. Conspiracy theories are necessarily things that originate somewhere (frequently unknown) and then spread, perhaps through many generations, as "I heard that...". Not all of them got it straight from the source.

I'm sure I saw the rather florid description "a class of men given to a new and mischievous superstition" somewhere once, which is strangely fitting.

Does Q post anymore? Are his (or hers??) posts archived anywhere? 4chan and 8chan are anonymous boards, so how did they know who was the real Q anyway?

I checked the pro-Trump forum patriots.win for threads about Q, and they seemed to be of the opinion that Q is a fake, psy-op conspiracy invented by the CIA designed to make Trump supporters look bad lol.

Does Q post anymore? Are his (or hers??) posts archived anywhere? 4chan and 8chan are anonymous boards, so how did they know who was the real Q anyway?

I checked the pro-Trump forum patriots.win for threads about Q, and they seemed to be of the opinion that Q is a fake, psy-op conspiracy invented by the CIA designed to make Trump supporters look bad lol.
Item from July 3 of this year:
QAnon -- the far-right, pro-Donald Trump, false conspiracy theory that asserts the former president was in a secret war against a cabal of pedophile satanists in Hollywood and the Democratic party -- appeared to be lacking direction after the mysterious figure named Q went silent in December 2020. Last week, the account started posting again.
Content from External Source
https://www.cnet.com/news/misinformation/qanon-explained-q-returns-after-18-months-of-silence/

we don't believe everyone who owns a gun in America needs to be institutionalized.

Who said otherwise? (with an exact quotation please - and no paraphrasing.) Why did you counter an imaginary accusation - how does it advance the discussion?

This event made me rather sad in that it just throws further fuel on the fire.

How would this help me to deal with a relative who's bought the whole "the election was stolen" and other rhetoric? I met with them this past week and was glad that we didn't get into any of this stuff other than him mentioning it was a scary world. If I'd had more energy and had time to think about it and not dealing with the rest of that moment (in a somewhat crowded and noisy place) I would have liked to talked about what they meant by that statement and perhaps tried to reassure them in some manner.

I did express some concern about their winter home in the path of hurricane Ian, but that's about all I could do.

Alas, the thread is an example of "nut picking" ("cherry picking", but chosing specifically negative traits from the participants). Bell curves are wide. Sometimes very wide. Finding the extreme points doesn't necessarily tell us anything about anything.

Article:
Trump shared a picture of himself wearing a Q lapel pin, overlaid with the QAnon phrases “The Storm is Coming” and “WWG1WGA,” on his Truth Social account on Monday evening. The post was originally shared on Truth Social by an account called “Patriots in Control,” before Trump re-shared it.
@RTM
And he chose the Game of Thrones font? Yikes, someone should tell him that the blonde haired kings in that show aren't the best role models and don't exactly go out fighting. It's even worse if he's blindly referencing the "Winter is Coming" meme because Eddard Stark was only the hand of the king and, in true Game of Thrones fashion, things didn't go great for him either.

tl;dr: I don't think Trump has ever watched Game of Thrones.

Back