Looks like a star, but it's not?

DixMyth70

Screenshot_20200121-193333_SkyView Free.jpgScreenshot_20200121-193353_SkyView Free.jpg20200121_194224.jpg

My wife noticed this out the window, so I tried to figure out what it was, downloaded skyview, which pinned this between Enif and Z Cyg (first two screenshots). Finally another pic showing how bright it was. ISS actually passed through in the middle of figuring this out, which was a cool surprise, but as the ISS left, this remained. Seems to be moving very slowly, but in a different direction than skyview is indicating other stars are moving?

This was in the western sky to me, from just south of Winston Salem, NC.

Any ideas?

DixMyth70

It's slightly upper right of the Enif screenshot and way to the left of the ZCyg screenshot. Was prominent enough to show up through the AR while looking through SkyView, which I recalibrated a few times and it consistently didn't line up with Enif, although that always seemed to be the closest.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Date and time?

I'm going to vote for Venus :) Another possibility, depending on how long you viewed it for, is a distant plane flying towards you.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
ISS actually passed through in the middle of figuring this out, which was a cool surprise,

I was looking at Venus in Stellarium, from Winston-Salem, around 6:45 Eastern, and was surprised to see a satellite fly right by it. Might this have been it? (flying left to right)
Metabunk 2020-01-21 17-15-40.jpg

DixMyth70

1/21 - easily viewable from 7PM-830pm est. Seems to be moving like a star, heading towards the horizon, checked again with skyview, it's in the same position relative to Enif

DixMyth70

I was looking at Venus in Stellarium, from Winston-Salem, around 6:45 Eastern, and was surprised to see a satellite fly right by it. Might this have been it? (flying left to right)
Metabunk 2020-01-21 17-15-40.jpg
Likely, yes, I believe that was exactly the time, and it was left to right relatively quickly, tried getting the kids outside to see it

DixMyth70

Likely, yes, I believe that was exactly the time, and it was left to right relatively quickly, tried getting the kids outside to see it
Was pretty cool in the display in skyview, big icon indicating exactly what it was. Got me pretty excited

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West CPAC Stage Looks Like a Nazi/Neopagan Odal Rune Current Events 12
Mick West Is Falun Gong Behind Seth Holehouse's "The Plot to Steal America"? It looks like it. Election 2020 10
Mick West Explained: Why Kavanaugh's Calendar PDF looks Edited [OCR] Current Events 0
sgirl New NASA pic of what looks like old ruins on Mars UFOs and Aliens 22
Unregisturd This snowman looks like he'll be just in time for Xmas Ghosts, Monsters, and the Paranormal 9
Mendel Allegations of Election Irregularities by Gregory Stenstrom of Marque Star Election 2020 41
Mick West A streak of light in a star trails image Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Whitebeard Debunked: Nibiru FOUND? Mysterious gigantic rogue planet spotted lurking outside our solar system Science and Pseudoscience 1
Marin B Orange star? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
derwoodii My eyes deceived me so I had to debunk myself Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Origo Unidentified Satellite/Star in Southern Sweden 2011? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 32
Marine0811 Is this a star or ufo? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 31
jaydeehess What is that "star" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Whitebeard Manchester Terror Drill and bad reporting. General Discussion 1
Leifer "solar sun simulator", 1960's patent Flat Earth 4
Mick West Contrails On the Millennium Falcon in Star Wars Contrails and Chemtrails 4
TWCobra Very good question asked by Madison Star Moon Contrails and Chemtrails 27
Mick West Debunked: Why were Life Star helicopters not deployed to Sandy Hook School? Sandy Hook 208
Jarmey 657 Strange sighting over Kent 10th Oct 2013 [Long Exposure of Star] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 26

Related Articles