ISS "Donut UFO" - lens flare?

Radapox

This "UFO" from the ISS live stream is making the rounds on the web. Does anybody have an idea what we're seeing here? The explanation to this particular clip is that it's a lens effect, which is probably what it is rather than something atmospheric, but I can't quite figure out the exact mechanism. (For the record: I'm talking about the ring-like blob that starts to appear around 10s, not the obvious red/blue streak of flares below it.)

EDIT: Here's a longer version, which has the same effect happening twice (at 00:15 and 03:10), so that seems to confirm the flare explanation. Also note that as soon as the blob disappears, what looks like its inverse counterpart starts appearing below the red/blue streak:

Last edited:
Yes, it's a lens flare. It's most obvious if you scrub the video backwards and forwards at high speed: you can see that the motion of the "UFO" exactly tracks the motion of the shadows and other light flares.

Without knowing what is reflecting light were it's impossible to say exactly what causes it, but I did notice that on both occasions the UFO appears, there is a bright reflection passing across the spacecraft structure on the right of centre:

You_Doodle_2017-01-27T00_16_46Z.jpg

If you watch the video you will see that the UFO appears when this reflection reaches the same spot on both occasions, so it may be linked.

If you watch the video you will see that the UFO appears when this reflection reaches the same spot on both occasions, so it may be linked.

Ah, well spotted! Yeah, I guess there's a host of shiny protrusions scattered across the craft, any of which may cause our flare.

Back