Is there a conspiracy around chemical weapons attacks in Syria

Oxymoron

Banned
Banned
High in even the mainstream media is the news of chemical attacks in Syria and the resulting dangers of an escalation in war in the area. But who is responsible and why?

The finger is being pointed to Assad by the West even though there is a distinct lack of proof at this time. In fact there is much evidence that the 'rebels', could actually be the perpetrators. Finds of chemical munitions (supplied by Saudi Arabia) have been made in areas recently taken from rebel forces.

So is there a conspiracy to instigate direct action by the U.S in Syria as per PNAC aims?

Preparations appear underway with U.S Naval forces building up in the Med and Obama is under pressure to intervene even though responsibility for the attack is not clear.

Also interesting is the statement that 'If it is proved that the Syrian Gov are responsible, a red line will have been crossed'. However there is no reciprocal warning if it is found that the attack is by 'rebel forces'.
http://news.yahoo.com/syria-accuses-rebels-using-chemical-weapons-141457992.html
DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) — Syrian state media accused rebels of using chemical arms on Saturday against government troops trying to storm a contested neighborhood of Damascus, claiming a major army offensive in recent days had forced the opposition fighters to resort to such weapons "as their last card."

State TV broadcast images of plastic jugs, gas masks, vials of an unspecified medication, explosives and other items that it said were seized from rebel hideouts. It did not, however, show any video of soldiers reportedly affected by toxic gas in the fighting in the Jobar neighborhood of Damascus.
Content from External Source
http://rt.com/op-edge/syria-gas-attack-chemical-propaganda-796/
http://www.timesofisrael.com/saudi-arabia-tries-to-woo-russia-away-from-syria-with-arms-deal/
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/15/us-syria-crisis-arms-idUSBRE97E0QH20130815
(Reuters) - Rebels in southern Syria have fired newly acquired anti-tank guided missiles supplied by Saudi Arabia in a significant boost to their battle against President Bashar al-Assad, rebel, intelligence and diplomatic sources say.
http://iransaudisyria.com/2013/syria-naval-base-blast-points-to-israeli-raid/

Syria naval base blast points to Israeli raid
July 10, 2013 by Iran Saudi Syria News Analysis -- Iran, Saudi Arabia, and the Gulf between them Leave a Comment

Foreign forces destroyed advanced Russian anti-ship missiles in Syria last week, rebels said on Tuesday – a disclosure that appeared to point to an Israeli raid.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/saudi-arabia-tries-to-woo-russia-away-from-syria-with-arms-deal/

I have not read it like that. I have interpreted it as they need more info hence the UN and Russia pushing for inspections.

I have not read it like that. I have interpreted it as they need more info hence the UN and Russia pushing for inspections.
Hope you are right.

Do you not find the disparity between ('If it is proved that the Syrian Gov are responsible, a red line will have been crossed'. However there is no reciprocal warning if it is found that the attack is by 'rebel forces'.), of concern.

Hope you are right.

Do you not find the disparity between ('If it is proved that the Syrian Gov are responsible, a red line will have been crossed'. However there is no reciprocal warning if it is found that the attack is by 'rebel forces'.), of concern.
Of course I do and I am very cynical. However I am pretty certain that if it was not Assad action will be taken. While the MSM may be posturing about US policy you need to remember the Russians. I think people are taking their lead.

To me this could be a good opportunity for the UN to step up to the crease.

Given that the US position on the Syrian conflict (mirrored by many allies) desires to see the Assad regime out of power, I don't see how the statement is a surprise. Even if it were somehow traced to opposition forces, which I think is unlikely -- I doubt that the White House and State Department would be thrilled to learn of rebel forces using chemical munitions, however I wouldn't expect to see a warning directed at the faction they support.

Given that the US position on the Syrian conflict (mirrored by many allies) desires to see the Assad regime out of power, I don't see how the statement is a surprise. Even if it were somehow traced to opposition forces, which I think is unlikely -- I doubt that the White House and State Department would be thrilled to learn of rebel forces using chemical munitions, however I wouldn't expect to see a warning directed at the faction they support.
I think you are likely right.

There was a good debate on Al Jazeera over who was responsible but I cannot find it on their site or YT. U.S senator assigning likelihhod of blame strongly to Assad Gov whilst dismissing evidence that it could easily be rebels.

Turkey found enough Sarin in rebel hands back in April (4kg), to kill 4 million people but even that seems difficult to find on the net.

Here is a YT video purportedly showing rebels practising with nerve agent, (probably Sarin) on rabbits.

I don't know who is responsible any more than most people but it seems like a good idea to check iy out thoroughly before aiding Al Nousra, (Al Qaeda) to depose Assad and plunge Syria into another Iraq or Libya with millions dead and wounded.

McCain obviously wants to get stuck in.

No one can ever know that they understand something.
They can only hope that they understand.

Last edited:
http://www.blacklistednews.com/Syri...ck;_US_Says_"Too_Late'/28384/0/38/38/Y/M.html

Syria To Allow Inspection Of Alleged Chemical Weapons Attack; US Says "Too Late'
August 25, 2013
Print Version
Source: Zero Hedge

Moments ago, Syria relented to the main gating condition that would prevent an all out escalation, and as Russia urged it to, has permitted an inspection of last Wednesday's alleged chemical weapons attack by UN inspectors. The WSJ reports that "Syria would allow United Nations inspectors currently present in Damascus immediate access to areas around the capital where the opposition accused the regime of using chemical weapons against fighters and civilians five days ago. A presenter on Syrian state television reading a statement attributed to an unnamed official at the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the agreement was reached after a meeting between Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem and Angela Kane, the U.N. disarmament chief, who arrived in Damascus on Saturday."
The statement said the date and timing of the visit would be coordinated between the U.N. team led by Swedish scientist Ake Sellstrom and the Syrian government.

"The foreign minister affirmed Syria's desire to cooperate with the team of inspectors to unmask the falsehood of the allegations by terrorist groups that Syrian forces used chemical weapons in the eastern Ghouta," it added, referring to the eastern suburbs of Damascus and using the government's term for the rebels battling the regime.

Hundreds of people died in last Wednesday's attack, and human-rights groups say victims bear the hallmarks of sarin nerve gas.

Of course, since demand for said inspection was just a strawman as the last time the UN inspected a "certain" chemical weapons attack by Assad it found "rebels may have used sarin" instead, and the US was absolutely certain Syria would not relent to an inspection thus allowing a full scale military attack, the US is now downplaying compliance with this key demand, by saying it is too little too late.

Sr US official: At this juncture, any belated decision by the regime to grant access to UN team would be too late to be credible. #syria

— Richard Engel (@RichardEngel) August 25, 2013

In other words, the US had its mind made up long ago: certainly long before anyone actually analyzed the culprit behind last week's chemical attack. Putting it in a different light, a la Obamacare, "we must invade, before we inspect."

And so, once again, the question is what does Russia do when it reports, correctly, to the international community that Syria has complied with the key condition that would otherwise precede the US' launch of cruise missiles in direction Damascus when it starts operation "Boost US Budget Deficit".​

Here is a YT video purportedly showing rebels practising with nerve agent, (probably Sarin) on rabbits.

There's of course good reason to treat claims aired on Syrian state television with skepticism due to the propaganda battle being waged. The same can unfortunately be said for the opposition's attempts to counter the state with their own. It all really underscores the dire need for UN/independent investigation before the conflict escalates any further.

There's of course good reason to treat claims aired on Syrian state television with skepticism due to the propaganda battle being waged. The same can unfortunately be said for the opposition's attempts to counter the state with their own. It all really underscores the dire need for UN/independent investigation before the conflict escalates any further.
I think this argument is well put.

http://www.blacklistednews.com/US_Set_to_Launch_‘Iraq,_The_Sequel’_in_Syria/28383/0/38/38/Y/M.html
Somehow we are supposed to believe that within 72 hours after the arrival of a UN chemical weapons inspection team to assess — with the Syrian government’s cooperation — the sites of previous claimed chemical weapons attacks, that same Syrian government would launch a chemical weapon attack on civilians just miles from where the UN inspectors are staying. The UN inspectors were there on invitation from the Syrian government and that same government would launch chemicals right into their neighborhood.

Unless Assad is indeed suicidally insane, which he has given no indication of being heretofore, it quite simply makes no sense. Why risk the overt wrath of the entire rest of the world — alienating even your final allies in Iran and Russia — for so measly a gain: killing 300 civilians in a war to the death against US/Saudi/Turk supported jihadists? There is no military justification and no justification at all short of the Assad clan being a Middle Eastern form of the Manson Family. Is that the argument?

As the always thoughtful Moon of Alabama blog points out, the hypocrisy of the West is stunning. Based exclusively on reporting by the Syrian opposition itself, some sort of substance has killed anywhere from 100-360 people outside Damascus, and the West is ready for war. Meanwhile, just over a week ago, the Egyptian military massacred more than a thousand unarmed Muslim Brotherhood protestors in Egypt and the West not only did not condemn the act but has endorsed further crackdowns against supporters of the duly elected government in Egypt — in the name of democracy.

http://www.blacklistednews.com/US_Set_to_Launch_‘Iraq,_The_Sequel’_in_Syria/28383/0/38/38/Y/M.html
Somehow we are supposed to believe that within 72 hours after the arrival of a UN chemical weapons inspection team to assess — with the Syrian government’s cooperation — the sites of previous claimed chemical weapons attacks, that same Syrian government would launch a chemical weapon attack on civilians just miles from where the UN inspectors are staying. The UN inspectors were there on invitation from the Syrian government and that same government would launch chemicals right into their neighborhood.

Unless Assad is indeed suicidally insane, which he has given no indication of being heretofore, it quite simply makes no sense. Why risk the overt wrath of the entire rest of the world — alienating even your final allies in Iran and Russia — for so measly a gain: killing 300 civilians in a war to the death against US/Saudi/Turk supported jihadists? There is no military justification and no justification at all short of the Assad clan being a Middle Eastern form of the Manson Family. Is that the argument?

As the always thoughtful Moon of Alabama blog points out, the hypocrisy of the West is stunning. Based exclusively on reporting by the Syrian opposition itself, some sort of substance has killed anywhere from 100-360 people outside Damascus, and the West is ready for war. Meanwhile, just over a week ago, the Egyptian military massacred more than a thousand unarmed Muslim Brotherhood protestors in Egypt and the West not only did not condemn the act but has endorsed further crackdowns against supporters of the duly elected government in Egypt — in the name of democracy.

There really is not enough evidence either way, and this information asymmetry is made worse by the propaganda coming from both sides.

I have to take issue with this news site, however. Several claims they make are either unsupported or outright wrong. For example,

Somehow we are supposed to believe that within 72 hours after the arrival of a UN chemical weapons inspection team to assess — with the Syrian government’s cooperation — the sites of previous claimed chemical weapons attacks, that same Syrian government would launch a chemical weapon attack on civilians just miles from where the UN inspectors are staying.
Errr, any supporting evidence to this? Firstly, there have been more than a handful of chemical weapons attacks in Syria in recent weeks(not just one or two). Secondly, we have no idea where the UN inspectors are staying in Damascus, and saying that the attacks were just a few miles away from where they were absolutely needs to be corroborated in order for it to be a remotely relevant or even useful tidbit of information. Syria is, as has been pointed out before, literally swimming in chemical weapons, it's entirely possible that both sides are using them.

the West not only did not condemn the act but has endorsed further crackdowns against supporters of the duly elected government in Egypt
This is absolutely not true, see here.

Has not a great deal of the reporting come from Medecin sans frontieres? I would say they are totally reliable.

You can cherry pick enough evidence to make a conspiracy about absolutely anything you can think of, no matter how absurd.

You can cherry pick enough evidence to make a conspiracy about absolutely anything you can think of, no matter how absurd.
So you have the proof that Assad Gov did it then do you? And what happens after the U.S hawks send in 200 missiles and the U.K sends in 2 (just to say... yeah we agree... can we have a pat on the head now?) Of course it will "be legal" as it is "humanitarian aid". And the band played believe it if you like. It's all 'black and white' to you Colt isn't it?

So you have the proof that Assad Gov did it then do you? And what happens after the U.S hawks send in 200 missiles and the U.K sends in 2 (just to say... yeah we agree... can we have a pat on the head now?) Of course it will "be legal" as it is "humanitarian aid". And the band played believe it if you like. It's all 'black and white' to you Colt isn't it?

If you give me twenty minutes, I could have enough evidence that velociraptors discovered America after taking control of the Death Star.

My point is that to conspiracy theorists, nothing ever just happens. It's all apart of some giant plan that they cherry pick evidence to support. When your first instinct is "this must be a false flag and I'm going to prove it" then you have obvious cognitive issues.

So Assad didn't do it? Just like Sadam and Quadafi never killed any of their people. Or if they did, the 'West made them do it."

So Assad didn't do it? Just like Sadam and Quadafi never killed any of their people. Or if they did, the 'West made them do it."
Do you have any proof he did... because if you do I am sure the U.N would be very interested in hearing from you. But no you don't do you. All you have is your usual baseless accusations and an extraordinary eagerness to 'bring freedom' with rockets and drones, iris scans and dna databases and 'well yeah you expect collateral damage don't you'...cavalier attitude.

Last edited:
If you give me twenty minutes, I could have enough evidence that velociraptors discovered America after taking control of the Death Star.

My point is that to conspiracy theorists, nothing ever just happens. It's all apart of some giant plan that they cherry pick evidence to support. When your first instinct is "this must be a false flag and I'm going to prove it" then you have obvious cognitive issues.
Well of course " nothing ever just happens. It's all apart of some giant plan". If you think it 'all just happens with no thought and planning'... well what can I say.

Well of course " nothing ever just happens. It's all apart of some giant plan". If you think it 'all just happens with no thought and planning'... well what can I say.

Oh, wow! A conspiracy theorists taking something someone says entirely out of context. That's a new one!

My point is that conspiracy theorists don't ever consider the possibility that this world has a few sick individuals who wish to do harm to others. EVERY SINGLE large scale attack or event is part of some plan designed by the government/Illuminati/New World Order/j00z/whatever buzz word it is this week.

Oh, wow! A conspiracy theorists taking something someone says entirely out of context. That's a new one!

My point is that conspiracy theorists don't ever consider the possibility that this world has a few sick individuals who wish to do harm to others. EVERY SINGLE large scale attack or event is part of some plan designed by the government/Illuminati/New World Order/j00z/whatever buzz word it is this week.
Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say.

There really is not enough evidence either way, and this information asymmetry is made worse by the propaganda coming from both sides.
Exactly, so is that a proper basis to go to war with a country which is thousands of miles away and is no threat to you... 'because they may have chemical weapons from Saudi Arabia (your ally), in their underpants? You have seen the result of the U.S warmongering and disgraceful ineptitude and horrors that it has brought.

I have to take issue with this news site, however. Several claims they make are either unsupported or outright wrong. For example,

Somehow we are supposed to believe that within 72 hours after the arrival of a UN chemical weapons inspection team to assess — with the Syrian government’s cooperation — the sites of previous claimed chemical weapons attacks, that same Syrian government would launch a chemical weapon attack on civilians just miles from where the UN inspectors are staying.
Content from external source
Errr, any supporting evidence to this? Firstly, there have been more than a handful of chemical weapons attacks in Syria in recent weeks(not just one or two). Secondly, we have no idea where the UN inspectors are staying in Damascus, and saying that the attacks were just a few miles away from where they were absolutely needs to be corroborated in order for it to be a remotely relevant or even useful tidbit of information.

That is entirely accurate and reported by all news sources

Syria is, as has been pointed out before, literally swimming in chemical weapons, it's entirely possible that both sides are using them.

So what, loads of countries have chemical weapons... they were even supplied by Saudi Arabia. Perhaps both sides are using them... no one knows but what is not in doubt is Cameron & co and the U.S are chaffing at the bit to get stuck in and fuel another bloodbath because they know that 'when there is blood on the streets, there is vast amounts of money to be made'.
the West not only did not condemn the act but has endorsed further crackdowns against supporters of the duly elected government in Egypt
This is absolutely not true, see here.
That is dealing with the reaction to the initial 'bloodless coup'. The U.S is still funding the military junta despite the irrefutable evidence of there shooting unarmed civilians in the thousands.

Conspiracy Theorists Mind Set:

Terrorist Attack? Government did it.
Assassination? Government did it.
I stubbed my toe? Government did it.

Get it?
No I don't get it... we are discussing the U.S and U.K going to war, yet again, with yet another M.E country which was on its wish list PNAC. No one cares about your toe. It is no conspiracy theory it is a conspiracy fact. Do you have proof that Assad has used chemical weapons and 'the rebels' haven't?

So basically at this point, they're 100% sure it was Assad to blame (says VP Biden, via CNN report I just read), and they've already moved warships with cruise missile into place, ready to strike whenever. They're just waiting on the word.

So basically at this point, they're 100% sure it was Assad to blame, and they've already moved warships with cruise missile into place, ready to strike whenever. They're just waiting on the word.

Even CNN is calling this out as seeming like an excuse, rather than a reason:
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/27/world/meast/syria-chemical-weapons-red-line/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Syria 'Red line' debate: Are chemical weapons in Syria worse than conventional attacks?

(CNN) -- The U.S. and international effort to respond to a suspected chemical weapons attack in Syria begs the question: Why intervene now, and not earlier in the civil war?

More than 100,000 people have died in the conflict, which has raged for more than two years.

There have been massacres. Populated areas have been bombed. Blasts have targeted people lining up for food at bakeries. People have been decapitated.

Millions of Syrians are displaced.

But a single, horrifying attack has crossed what U.S. President Barack Obama called a "red line." Rebel officials say more than 1,300 people, including many women and children, died recently as a result of chemical weapons.

The United States believes Syria was behind it; rebels blame the Syrian government as well. The Syrian regime denies it, and some Syrians have told CNN they doubt their government used chemical weapons.

Given the massive human toll of attacks with conventional weapons, what makes this a potential turning point for the world to act?

What justifies intervening if Syria uses chemical weapons?

So what, loads of countries have chemical weapons... they were even supplied by Saudi Arabia. P.

Evidence of both of those assertions please?

It seems that Syria is producing it theirselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syria_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction

Facilities

Syrian chemical weapons production facilities have been identified by Western nonproliferation experts at approximately 5 sites, plus one suspected weapons base:[15]

al-Safira (Scud missile base)
Hama (Scud missile base)
Homs
Latakia
Palmyra

Do you have any proof he did... because if you do I am sure the U.N would be very interested in hearing from you. But no you don't do you. All you have is your usual baseless accusations and an extraordinary eagerness to 'bring freedom' with rockets and drones, iris scans and dna databases and 'well yeah you expect collateral damage don't you'...cavalier attitude.

Do you have proof otherwise? Or do you just have questions?

Even CNN is calling this out as seeming like an excuse, rather than a reason:
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/27/world/meast/syria-chemical-weapons-red-line/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Syria 'Red line' debate: Are chemical weapons in Syria worse than conventional attacks?

(CNN) -- The U.S. and international effort to respond to a suspected chemical weapons attack in Syria begs the question: Why intervene now, and not earlier in the civil war?

More than 100,000 people have died in the conflict, which has raged for more than two years.

There have been massacres. Populated areas have been bombed. Blasts have targeted people lining up for food at bakeries. People have been decapitated.

Millions of Syrians are displaced.

But a single, horrifying attack has crossed what U.S. President Barack Obama called a "red line." Rebel officials say more than 1,300 people, including many women and children, died recently as a result of chemical weapons.

The United States believes Syria was behind it; rebels blame the Syrian government as well. The Syrian regime denies it, and some Syrians have told CNN they doubt their government used chemical weapons.

Given the massive human toll of attacks with conventional weapons, what makes this a potential turning point for the world to act?

What justifies intervening if Syria uses chemical weapons?

Carney is quoted by CNN as saying:
"Allowing the use of chemical weapons on a significant scale to take place without a response would present a significant challenge to or threat to the United States' national security"

Basically, because it was a large(r) scale attack, we must do something about it. Hero complex stuff. In the name of 'national security' as always.

No I don't get it... we are discussing the U.S and U.K going to war, yet again, with yet another M.E country which was on its wish list PNAC. No one cares about your toe. It is no conspiracy theory it is a conspiracy fact. Do you have proof that Assad has used chemical weapons and 'the rebels' haven't?

Do you have proof of whatever it is you think happened? Or you just don't know what happens but the "official story" smells?

How many countries have chemical and biological weapons and nukes. It is not an excuse to start a war... especially with our abysmal track record.

http://nsnbc.me/2013/06/02/syrian-m...om-rebels-russia-blocks-un-quasir-resolution/
Christof Lehmann (nsnbc),- The Syrian Arab News Agency SANA reports that the Syrian Army has seized two containers with Sarin nerve gas. The seizure of the banned chemical followed the recent seizure of two cylinders with Sarin from 12 members of the Jabhat al-Nusrah front by Turkish law-enforcement officers. The evidence trail may lead to Saudi-Arabia and Malaysia. Russia and Syria continue demanding full and independent investigations.

According to reports from the Syrian Arab News Agency SANA, the containers with the banned Sarin gas were seized together with automatic rifles, pistols and improvised explosive devices in the Faraieh district of the city of Hama.

Carney is quoted by CNN as saying:
"Allowing the use of chemical weapons on a significant scale to take place without a response would present a significant challenge to or threat to the United States' national security"

Basically, because it was a large(r) scale attack, we must do something about it. Hero complex stuff. In the name of 'national security' as always.
It has nothing to do with the warmongering U.S or the U.K. It is none of our business.

Sarin type gas can be made and distributed from caves and kitchens and we all know how easy it is to disperse ... viz Tokyo subway. They have planned and schemed for this for years as evidenced by PNAC.

It has nothing to do with the warmongering U.S or the U.K. It is none of our business.

Sarin type gas can be made and distributed from caves and kitchens and we all know how easy it is to disperse ... viz Tokyo subway. They have planned and schemed for this for years.
Hence the need to inspect the areas so chemical signitures can be analysed. They are able to tell the difference.

Whatever one you don't believe.

What evidence do you have that " there a conspiracy to instigate direct action by the U.S in Syria as per PNAC aims?"
Because they are doing it now. Missiles are prepared... cabinets are in emergency session... the players are justifying it ... without the least modicum of evidence.

Hence the need to inspect the areas so chemical signitures can be analysed. They are able to tell the difference.
They are not interested. It is obvious from the rhetoric "Assad is guilty... we are planning our action"

All I hope is that we have sufficient MP's with enough backbone to stop it... but I doubt that very much.

Because they are doing it now. Missiles are prepared... cabinets are in emergency session... the players are justifying it ... without the least modicum of evidence.

Oh I think there's a modicum. There's a bunch of dead people, children, and animals, and some people who seem superficially to have symptoms of nerve gas poisoning. There's just not conclusive evidence of exactly what was done, and by whom.

There does seem to be a rush to action on the part of the US. It does remind me of the start of the Iraq war. But I admit I'm not entirely familiar with the subject.

Oh I think there's a modicum. There's a bunch of dead people, children, and animals, and some people who seem superficially to have symptoms of nerve gas poisoning. There's just not conclusive evidence of exactly what was done, and by whom.

There does seem to be a rush to action on the part of the US. It does remind me of the start of the Iraq war. But I admit I'm not entirely familiar with the subject.
No, I am not questioning that gas was used. I am saying there is no evidence as to who deployed it and why. It is Iraq 2 Mick and it will be even more catastrophic.

I think the jury is still way out on this...there are many reasons why more extremist elements amongst the rebels would like to draw the US et al into to Syria- 2 birds with one stone- get rid of Assad and open a new front against the US....and whilst Kerry claims to have evidence, they haven't presented it as far as I know.

However, "Iraq 2" is hyperbole...especially with the Russians standing right behind Assad- "Libya 2" maybe but the idea of invading Syria is not something that seems very likely for many reasons. There has been quite some hesitation from the Obama Admin to actually engage in this conflict. If it was Bush, chances are the missiles would be flying already.

Back