Is Aspertame made from E. coli?

Gary Cook

[...]

I have been hearing about Aspartame and seemingly new information about a patent that mentions that it is produced by e-coli.

Would be useful for me to see whether people here think it is bunk or not.

Seems like a potential health issue but I don't believe everything I read on the internets of course.

Sincerely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alhazred The Sane

Senior Member.
I would like to know if and where can I post a question on this forum about a theory I have been hearing?

It is about Aspartame and seemingly new information about a patent that mentions that it is produced by e-coli.

Seems like a potential health issue but I don't believe everything I read on the internets of course.

Sincerely.

Personally don't touch the stuff, but that's down to the taste rather than anything else. If it's going to be a health risk, then the millions who have been using the stuff for decades should be better placed to tell us than the process used to make it. It's just science, and we get all kinds of good things from weird places.

Cairenn

Senior Member.
First bacteria do not poop!

Here is some information for you on this

David Fraser

Senior Member.
I would like to know if and where can I post a question on this forum about a theory I have been hearing?

It is about Aspartame and seemingly new information about a patent that mentions that it is produced by e-coli.

Sincerely.
All a little like insulin then

http://www.abpischools.org.uk/page/modules/diabetes/diabetes6.cfm?coSiteNavigation_allTopic=1

Gary Cook

Personally don't touch the stuff, but that's down to the taste rather than anything else. If it's going to be a health risk, then the millions who have been using the stuff for decades should be better placed to tell us than the process used to make it. It's just science, and we get all kinds of good things from weird places.

I would agree that there is worse health risks out there but at the same time something like that just doesnt sound healthy to me. Its not exactly natural. I would prefer just to consume sugar in moderation, personally. I think the real issue is whether people should just be more responsible for their health. Because, if they are act recklessly and cant control their consumption they will end up consuming all sorts of man-made nonsense.

Alhazred The Sane

Senior Member.
I would agree that there is worse health risks out there but at the same time something like that just doesnt sound healthy to me. Its not exactly natural. I would prefer just to consume sugar in moderation, personally. I think the real issue is whether people should just be more responsible for their health. Because, if they are act recklessly and cant control their consumption they will end up consuming all sorts of man-made nonsense.
It's just science. We see the word e-coli and think the worst. Science has taken all manner of toxins and poisons and turned them into medicine. Hell, the whole concept of vaccines is that you take something that can make you ill and administer it in small doses to switch on the immune system. The venom from snakes, bacteria, mold, all are used as a base for modern medicine.

Read the links provided, science uses e-coli as a kind of manufacturing process to make other things. It's not that weird when you've studied biology. Still, the immediate reaction to anything that has e-coli is a knee-jerk fear. Understandable, to a point, as e-coli can kill.

Dan Wilson

Senior Member.
Just to clear E. coli's name a bit, human E. coli will not kill/harm you unless it gets into the bloodstream. E. coli is part of the normal flora of the gut, so most strains are harmless to humans. The one that most people hear about in the news and that is potentially lethal is E. coli 0157:H7, which comes from cattle and produces toxins that will make you sick. Most labs that test for food/water quality will test for E. coli because it's mostly used as an indicator organism. Since these labs normally receive a lot of samples they can't test for every pathogen out there. Each pathogen requires different conditions to grow and it would take far too much tme and resources to test for all of them. Instead, we can test for E. coli and other indicator organisms (known as coliforms) to let us know that there is contamination in the samples we are testing and say that the presence of harmful organisms is likely. The logic being that if there is E. coli there, then it is likely that some sort of fecal contamination is present, which would mean that other potentially harmful enteric pathogens (giardia, norovirus, enterobactericea, etc.) are likely to be present.

So the fear of something being made by and extracted from E. coli is flawed in the first place.

David Fraser

Senior Member.
E. coli is often the prefered organism due to the ease with which it can be genetically manipulated. Most of my genetics in ny first year Biology involved lab work with it, as was my microbiology.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Debunked: Pentagon has Evidence of "Off-World Vehicles Not Made on this Earth" UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 14
Rory Fake quote? "World events do not occur by accident. They are made to happen [...] by those who hold the purse strings" (attributed to Denis Healey) Quotes Debunked 12
omaehamoushindeiru Claim:Natural Covid-19 broke out of Wuhan lab (not man-made) Coronavirus COVID-19 54
Mick West Ghost Doll Reflection - Mistakes Were Made UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 2
Dan Wilson Claim:HIV Protein Sequences in Covid-19 (report withdrawn by authors) & other "man made" claims Coronavirus COVID-19 31
Marin B Climate scientist on man-made clouds General Discussion 0
Cantonear1968 A Former AGW (Man-made global warming) Denier Escaping The Rabbit Hole 3
Mick West Mistakes I made on my Joe Rogan Experience Flat Earth Episode Flat Earth 17
MikeC Claim: New Zealand quakes man made...... Conspiracy Theories 4
Gundersen Eco-Cooler - world’s first zero-electricity air cooler made from plastic bottles Science and Pseudoscience 8
Trailblazer Debunked: HAARP has made two islands disappear HAARP 2
Bruce Lansberg Claim: Jeroen Akkermans: Framents prove MH17 was shot down by a Russian made BUK Flight MH17 34
Mick West Debunked: Nasa: Strange Markings Across The Globe 'Might Have Been Made By Aliens' UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 26
Kgreen711 U.S. Currency Made to Depict 9/11 Conspiracy Theories 12

Related Articles