Infrared Photos of Clouds and Contrails

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Infrared gives great contrast to clouds and contrails, bringing out detail that might be missed. Especially as they fade away. So I thought it might be nice to have a thread to share these types of photos. Feel free to add.
DSCN9870.jpg

Metabunk 2019-03-14 10-05-35.jpgDSCN9874-w.jpg

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Try it with a polarizer.
Metabunk 2019-03-15 11-23-39.jpg

Interesting, you do get even more contrast. Not a lot of clouds in the sky right this moment.

Also, with the polarizer on the autofocus stopped working. I switched to manual, and this one photo turned out super sharp. I wonder if the autofocus is a bit off with the IR. Experiments needed.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I got my longer filters today. There's a strong difference between the 720nm and the 950nm, which lets through less light (obviously).

The 950 gives more contrast between sky and vegetation, but less contrast within vegetation, so the trees look more white and washed out.

720 left, 950 right, drag to compare.
Metabunk 2019-03-30 16-28-50.jpgMetabunk 2019-03-30 16-28-27.jpg

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
950nm really needs a tripod. It gets a slightly higher contrast sky, but often ends up a bit blurry.
DSCN0418.JPG

I switched to 760nm, which seems like a reasonable compromise.
DSCN0432.JPG

Really though, I've not sure seen a huge improved in close-ups of planes leaving contrails. Maybe a bit clearer, but it's hard to get an exact comparison.
DSCN0431-a.jpg

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
DSCN0585-aw.jpg

Mt Shasta from 32 miles away. 760nm

Check out how well it cuts through the haze. The color photo is an iPhone, so low resolution, but the haze difference is obvious. See especially the low hill in the foreground compared to the mountain.
Metabunk 2019-04-23 11-54-50.jpg Metabunk 2019-04-23 11-56-45.jpg

Cassi O

I apologize in advance for the shaky hand held video. Thought folks may be interested in the difference between IR and normal spectrum video.

I was playing with filters and camera setting on a cross country flight. The combination of IR filter with high contrast black and white worked the best.

Source: https://youtu.be/Hr6Y1NTfBKU

Camera - Sony A6000 with full spectrum conversion
Lens - Sony 55 - 210mm zoom

clip 1 - IR720nm filter full color setting
clip 2 - IR720nm filter high contrast black and white setting
clip 3 - IR cut filter (normal visible spectrum) full color setting
clip 4 - IR cut filter high contrast black and white setting

Last edited:
Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Cassi O Chicago Skyline from Indiana Dunes, 33 miles away Flat Earth 12
Mick West Converting Nikon P900 to IR/Full Spectrum - The Definitive Guide Tools for Investigating and Debunking 14
Rory Unidentified "space vehicle" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Rory Debunked: 120-mile shot of San Jacinto proves flat earth Flat Earth 39
Mick West Aguadilla Infrared Footage of 'UFOs' - Hot Air Wedding Lanterns Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 26
Mick West Debunked: Tail Sprayers & Fake Infrared [Contrail Gaps and Photoshop] Contrails and Chemtrails 75
Spongebob SWIR - Short Wave Infrared Camera System Contrails and Chemtrails 9
DasKleineTeilchen 2,400 "new" unseen 9/11 photos found at estate sale, june 2019 9/11 12
Mick West "Golden Orb" Daytime Reflective Sphere UFOs in Photos UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 42
chrono117 How to Debunk Flat Earth Without Relying on NASA or Photos Flat Earth 42
creatonez Explained: Why the Earth does not look oblate in photos from space Flat Earth 0
Mick West Strange Lights in Phone Photos - Flash Reflection from Window UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Some New-ish WTC7 Photos (and video?) Corner Damage 9/11 6
tadaaa Debunked: Fake photos-Novichok attack Russian 'agents' (side by side gates) General Discussion 34
Priyadi Explained: Why We Don't See Satellites in Photos Taken From The ISS Flat Earth 1
Mick West WTC7 South Side Photos 9/11 2
George Tasker Using pin hole lenses to debunk CGI Rebuttals of Photos of Earth Curvature Flat Earth 7
Mick West Debunked: "FBI releases 27 classified photos of 9/11 Pentagon attacks" [Not New] 9/11 8
Mick West The P900 Rippling Orb Effect & Taking Photos of Venus Flat Earth 23
Mick West Contrails Hidden In 1950s and 1960s Family Photos Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Sunset Photos with "Angel Wings" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Mick West Explaining the Ghost Boy in the Back Seat Photo with Occam's Razor UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 99
Mick West P900 Plane and Contrails Photos and Video Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 17
Mick West How Do You Take Good Photos of High Altitude Planes and Contrails? Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West How to take Photos of the ISS (International Space Station) with a P900 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Jonathan Evans Explained: Jupiter Photos look the same [Composite photo] Flat Earth 5
Mick West Space Station Photos Disprove the "Flat Earth" Theory Flat Earth 110
Mick West Photos in Middelveen's & Stricker's Morgellons papers that look like Stellate Trichomes. General Discussion 4
Leifer Jet ID....the underside, from photos/videos Contrails and Chemtrails 3
G Are these old photos of contrails? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 18
MikeG Debunked: Fukushima Causing Bloody Tumors in Fish [Old Photos] Science and Pseudoscience 15
deirdre Debunked: Police took photos before attending to wounded Sandy Hook 1
Trailblazer Cloud Forms, 1949, British Air Ministry Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 2
Mick West Debunked: "Blue Marble" Photos show a Changing Earth Flat Earth 40
Tony_Sigel Debunked: Chang'e-2 photos of Alien Base on Moon [Hoax] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 14
JesseCuster Satellite photos of clouds Practical Debunking 3
MikeG Debunked: Crime Scene Photos "Prove" Sandy Hook was a Hoax Sandy Hook 107
TWCobra Madisonstar Moon posts 59 year old photo of B47's contrailing. Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Mick West Debunked: Hampton Court Ghost Photo [iPhone Panorama Glitch] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 8
WhiteTiger Explained: "Chemdust fallout" [Out of Focus Photos of dust, mist, lights, etc.] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Redwood Debunked: Google photos show Ottawa Parliament bullet holes are fake Conspiracy Theories 115
Trailblazer Explained: Bands of colored "particles" in sky photos [digital camera artifact] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 21
Avestriel Hindu Guru Magic UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 5
L Photos of trails over Switzerland [back to the 1970s] and Chemical Analysis of Jacuzzi Cover Water Contrails and Chemtrails 18
Mick West Solved: "Alien" with "shadow" on the Moon [Debris in Camera] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 59
Cloudsorchems Lack of Contrails in Old Photos of Chicago Contrails and Chemtrails 11
Ezswo [Solved] MH-17 was 9M-MRD, so Why are there photos of 9M-MRC? ['D' partially obscured] Flight MH17 204
Mick West Debunked: Photos of Spraying out the Back of a Cargo Plane [Malaysian Cloud Seeding from C-130] Contrails and Chemtrails 4
jtmac Help me to understand - Photos and Videos with very large numbers of contrails Contrails and Chemtrails 52
Tobes Debunked: Anatomical impossibility of Jeff Bauman photos Boston Marathon Bombings 94
Related Articles

Related Articles