Infowars Dating. A look inside the Conspiracy Demographic

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/i-signed-up-for-infowars-dating-site-for-conspiracy-theorists

I’ve only been signed up for the site for a day, but I’ve already been contacted by a freedom-fighter right here in New York. He’s my age, his profile picture is a dashing sniper riflescope, and he goes by “Awake” (in case there was any confusion). And there’s something in me that relates to these people; there’s something fun about believing you’re the only one with the answers. It makes you feel special. But the bizarre anti-Zionist, Illuminati-obsessed rhetoric distracts us from the real issues as much as the round-the-clock, tabloid-esque coverage of the Boston bombings.

If belief in conspiracy theories is more of an attribute, one not especially impervious to reason or facts, then it makes sense that those with this shared attribute would make one another happy. One thing the internet has afforded us is the ability to find a partner with the exact same set of niche interests as we have. Armchair conspiracy theorists tend to be dangerous only insofar as they make terrible dinner party guests. If Infowar’s dating site makes it possible for a sentence beginning, “You know the Federal Reserve Bank is a just private corporation…” to be met with delight instead of annoyance, then I suppose it’s done its job of connecting the awakened among us.
Content from External Source

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/i-signed-up-for-infowars-dating-site-for-conspiracy-theorists

I’ve only been signed up for the site for a day, but I’ve already been contacted by a freedom-fighter right here in New York. He’s my age, his profile picture is a dashing sniper riflescope, and he goes by “Awake” (in case there was any confusion). And there’s something in me that relates to these people; there’s something fun about believing you’re the only one with the answers. It makes you feel special. But the bizarre anti-Zionist, Illuminati-obsessed rhetoric distracts us from the real issues as much as the round-the-clock, tabloid-esque coverage of the Boston bombings.

If belief in conspiracy theories is more of an attribute, one not especially impervious to reason or facts, then it makes sense that those with this shared attribute would make one another happy. One thing the internet has afforded us is the ability to find a partner with the exact same set of niche interests as we have. Armchair conspiracy theorists tend to be dangerous only insofar as they make terrible dinner party guests. If Infowar’s dating site makes it possible for a sentence beginning, “You know the Federal Reserve Bank is a just private corporation…” to be met with delight instead of annoyance, then I suppose it’s done its job of connecting the awakened among us.
Content from External Source
This is even scary to me . . . ;) . . . Moderation in everything including moderation . . .

To be fair you could find embarrassing personal ads in just about any particular segment of the population, both vanilla and esoteric.

What's interesting is the isolation of the "awake" as a community, the insulation that allows their theories to mature in an uncritical environment. Online dating is another aspect of the internet that allows people to pigeon-hole themselves amongst only like-minded individuals.

Back