Help me identifying UAP's recorded on Marina Del Rey (CA) by Youtuber Custodian File

ElNiño

Hi, first post here. I'm really sorry for my bad spelling (English not my native language) and for the really long heading. I'll be short.

Few weeks ago I meet up this youtube channel Custodian File. This is a legit guy who apparently lives on Marina Del Rey and is aware of military and police aircraft circulating over specifics zones of the coast in really strange patterns along with always the same type of UAP appearing in order to, his belief, "tag" helicopters, drones, anything. He is also detecting them on some kind of radar attached to his camera. He has 190 videos and stayed that has over 4000 hours library of video of this.
Here's a link of the Youtube channel and one video of sample.
Youtube Link

I'm not the type of participant to post something or even commenting, I really respect the work that all of you do here. I've decided to post this after searching on this site and realizing there was no publication of neither this youtube channel, or Marina Del rey, or "dragons" as he calls them.
I was surprised of the consistency of his evidence alongside with some flight data of military aircraft operating with their transponder (I'm using an app called ADS-B Unfiltered, with "U" letter pressed show them below the sea of commercial aircraft) near this area and doing some really strange circular nonsense patterns, sometimes 3 of them in different heights but same position.

Really appreciate any thought on this videos. Thank you for your time.

I've decided to post this after searching on this site and realizing there was no publication of neither this youtube channel, or Marina Del rey, or "dragons" as he calls them.

the UAP is the bird we see at 4 mins in?

Looks very much like a bird to me too.
He claims in the commentary that a radar detector wouldn't pick up a bird as that would mean your car radar detector would be continuously beeping. I would assume that car radar detectors have a fairly low vertical range, focusing more on ground signals? If that's the case, and that's what he's using in conjunction with his phone, then the detector would focus where he points his phone/camera and therefore picked up?

I Also personally think that many of them are birds and flies near the camera, but a significant percentage is not. See 3 or 4 different videos of him an then draw conclusions.

I Also personally think that many of them are birds and flies near the camera, but a significant percentage is not. See 3 or 4 different videos of him an then draw conclusions.
What consumer drone density - or even spy drone density, if they tag military aircraft - would we expect around Marina Del Rey?

I've just watched the first five minutes or so of his latest yt clip where he's assuming the yellow helicopter is jamming and switching off his electronic devices, with the amount of residential buildings nearby surely there would have been a huge number of people experiencing the same? Maybe even enough to have made local news?

Looks very much like a bird to me too.
He claims in the commentary that a radar detector wouldn't pick up a bird as that would mean your car radar detector would be continuously beeping. I would assume that car radar detectors have a fairly low vertical range, focusing more on ground signals? If that's the case, and that's what he's using in conjunction with his phone, then the detector would focus where he points his phone/camera and therefore picked up?

what?

the OP is horrendous as far as pinpointing what the claim actually is. (although it got approved by moderators, so it must be good!)

I didnt watch the video, are you saying he pointed a radar detector at the bird and it beeped? what time stamp is this?

what?

the OP is horrendous as far as pinpointing what the claim actually is. (although it got approved by moderators, so it must be good!)

I didnt watch the video, are you saying he pointed a radar detector at the bird and it beeped? what time stamp is this?
Please don't make me watch it again! :)
The radar beeps 'at' the helicopter for about the first 5 seconds of the clip, never to be heard again throughout.

What exactly is a radar detector in this case - the device you put into your car which warns of speed cameras (which isn't allowed in many countries), and which is a passive "radar listening" device, or something like a radar range finder or a speed camera, in short an active device capable of sending out radar beams?

The radar beeps 'at' the helicopter for about the first 5 seconds of the clip, never to be heard again throughout.
oh ok, Thanks. because it would be weird if it beeped at the bird. even those little bands some people (like guys who fly pigeons) put on their legs i think are aluminum...so im assuming those shouldnt beep either.

What exactly is a radar detector in this case - the device you put into your car which warns of speed cameras (which isn't allowed in many countries), and which is a passive "radar listening" device, or something like a radar range finder or a speed camera, in short an active device capable of sending out radar beams?
Screenshot_20230821-203304_YouTube.jpg

o_O

so the UAPs click. Unexplained Acoustic Phenomenon? And the clicking is recorded by the radar detector, but only 8 percent of ... the time they film? Or they fly? Or 8 percent of all the time? And when they're not clicking, they're active on K band? Or is ...

... I give up. I have no clue what to make of this.

It would help if you posted screenshots of the most convincing objects, along with links to the videos and the timecodes where you found them.

Where exactly does the "Custodian" record these videos?

I was surprised of the consistency of his evidence alongside with some flight data of military aircraft operating with their transponder (I'm using an app called ADS-B Unfiltered, with "U" letter pressed show them below the sea of commercial aircraft) near this area and doing some really strange circular nonsense patterns, sometimes 3 of them in different heights but same position.
For this issue, screenshots of the flight tracking data would help.

A "stack" of powered aircraft circling in the same position is typically a holding pattern; the pilots are waiting for something, usually a chance to land at a nearby airfield. Having them at different heights ensures they don't collide. Sometimes you will find a radio beacon at the center of a holding pattern.

(A stack of gliders circling is probably using a thermal updraft to gain altitude.)

He says it's "easier to hear" behind a glass door. That doesn't seem likely for a sound from the outside. Also, if he claims it can be heard 8% of the time, that means he's recorded a dozen times per sound, which makes me think he is really obsessive about the subject.

Yes, it's a passive device that listens for the commonly used police speed checking radar bands, X, K and Ka:

Radar works the same way, just with waves that operate on a different frequency than AM or FM radio. In a very real way, your radar detector is basically a fancy radio receiver that is looking for the specific “frequencies” or “stations” that police radar operates on.

To use a simple analogy, X, K, and KA bands are essentially like the names of three of your favorite radio stations. They are names for the frequencies that police radar (and sometimes false alerts) operate on. Since we know that police radar uses these frequencies, your radar detector is always tuned into them and listening for signal. If it picks something up, it will notify you so you can slow down with plenty of warning distance.
Content from External Source
And can be subject to false alarms:

One thing to keep in mind about K band is that many non-law enforcement radar sources operate in this frequency range, including automatic door openers and some blind spot monitoring systems on vehicles. This has given K band radar a reputation for a high percentage of false alerts – sometimes, other companies even recommend disabling K band entirely to reduce these annoying false positives. This is not a good idea in most cases, as K band radar is extremely widespread throughout the USA.
https://radenso.com/blogs/radar-university/what-are-the-differences-between-ka-k-and-x-bands

What exactly this guy thinks he's using it for on his camera I'm not sure. Various aircraft have radar, but i don't know what band they operate in. Seems likely though that if you point one in the sky enough times, you'll get some real or false alarms.

Hi, first post here. I'm really sorry for my bad spelling (English not my native language) and for the really long heading. I'll be short.

Few weeks ago I meet up this youtube channel Custodian File. This is a legit guy who apparently lives on Marina Del Rey and is aware of military and police aircraft circulating over specifics zones of the coast in really strange patterns along with always the same type of UAP appearing in order to, his belief, "tag" helicopters, drones, anything. He is also detecting them on some kind of radar attached to his camera. He has 190 videos and stayed that has over 4000 hours library of video of this.
Here's a link of the Youtube channel and one video of sample.
Youtube Link

I'm not the type of participant to post something or even commenting, I really respect the work that all of you do here. I've decided to post this after searching on this site and realizing there was no publication of neither this youtube channel, or Marina Del rey, or "dragons" as he calls them.

Really appreciate any thought on this videos. Thank you for your time.

First off I grew up/ live not far from Marina Del Rey. It’s literally the beach. Thousands of birds, flys, bugs, ect. It’s also just a few minutes away from LAX. No UAP’s are hanging around there without someone noticing other than that guy.

For this issue, screenshots of the flight tracking data would help.

A "stack" of powered aircraft circling in the same position is typically a holding pattern; the pilots are waiting for something, usually a chance to land at a nearby airfield. Having them at different heights ensures they don't collide. Sometimes you will find a radio beacon at the center of a holding pattern.

(A stack of gliders circling is probably using a thermal updraft to gain altitude.)

Hi! I think this video is the one that mainly got me interested on his channel. I don't particularly enjoy his content though, so sorry for the lack of compilation and presentation of data.

Regarding flight tracking data I have some screenshots I made near that area that resembles his particular pattern sightings. I'll like to know if they are holding patterns. Those are on random moments I've checked this app mentioned on first post. Although they seem to be far away from the coast than his recordings.

11.png33.png66.png

More dragonflies than dragons by the looks of things.
There are parts of Marina Del Rey that you can watch the planes from LAX ascend over the ocean west while they are still low in take off. It’s actually pretty cool to watch. This is a non story. 20 miles south is Long Beach airport. This guy is wildly mistaken. No way UAP’s just flying around. We have an insane amount of air traffic in a 30 mile area.

I live near Marina Del Rey and am fairly familiar with the area's various flight patterns--birds and mechanical. This is all very normal.

Some important context:
  • Marina Del Rey is very close to multiple airports. LAX is south: tons of large and small flights come out of there. Santa Monica Municipal Airport is to the north: lots of weird little planes from there. I generally see weird unidentifiable planes/copters every time I'm there, it's basically expected.
  • Marina Del Rey is close to a ton of aerospace and defense companies. McDonnell Douglas, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, tons. I see a helicopter literally every time I'm there, usually flying low, usually kinda weird- or military-looking. Herber Helicopter is south of there, and they fly out a lot.
  • Marina Del Rey has a ton of birds. They like the area because of all the fishing boats bringing in dead fish, and all the sea lions being stinky like fish.
  • Marina Del Rey has a lot of high-rise luxury apartments with similar views. If this were happening all the time, we would see more than just one YouTube channel posting about it. I would get notifications on my NextDoor app about it. People in those apartments would charge money for the public to see the UFOs.
The Los Angeles coast is always full of people, cameras, and observers. If just one guy is seeing something, it's likely something very explainable that he is perceiving as unexplainable. In other words, he is seeing bugs and birds and interpreting them as UFOs. The aircraft are typical for Los Angeles coastal areas.

Thank you for providing the tracking data. I'll comment on them individually.
This is a rare sight.
Article:
Airbus KC2 Voyager
Airline: United Kingdom - Royal Air Force (RAF)
The RAF website has a page on it. Excerpts:
Article:
Voyager is the RAF’s sole air-to-air refuelling (AAR) tanker and also operates as a strategic air transport. The aircraft is in service as the Voyager KC.Mk 2, equipped with two underwing pods for refuelling fast jets, and as the Voyager KC.Mk 3, with an additional centreline hose for use by large aircraft.

As a tanker, capabilities include the ability to operate a ‘towline’, where the Voyager orbits around a prescribed area awaiting ‘receivers’, or in a ‘trail’, where it flies with a number of fast jets, refuelling them over long ranges [...]

Voyager.png
Voyager and Tornados over Iraq.

The flight track looks like Voyager was working as a "flying gas station" that day.

Last edited:
Anna's Hummingbird courtship flight
Hi, I'm new and just happened to see this thread. In the first minute of that first video posted, I am 99% sure what is recorded is a male Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna) courtship flight. They are common on the west coast even in suburbia. Their courtship flight consists of flying high into the air, then diving down and at the bottom of a J-shaped dive, their tails flair out and make a dramatically loud popping chirp sound. This video shows it and I'm sure there are many more. Many people hear this strange popping noise and never even see the bird, but report the strange noise they are hearing. Sounds just like on the video. I'm a retired fish and wildlife biologist. Have them in my yard here in Olympia too.
That is the only thing I have looked at in this thread. I just recognized that little bird immediately, lol.

This aircraft type has a wikipedia page.
Article:
The Northrop Grumman E-2 Hawkeye is an American all-weather, carrier-capable tactical airborne early warning (AEW) aircraft.

E-2D_Advanced_Hawkeye_aircraft_conduct_a_test_flight.jpg

In U.S. service, the E-2 Hawkeye provides all-weather airborne early warning and command and control capabilities for all aircraft-carrier battle groups. In addition, its other purposes include sea and land surveillance, the control of the aircraft carrier's fighter planes for air defense, the control of strike aircraft on offensive missions, the control of search and rescue missions for naval aviators and sailors lost at sea, relaying radio communications, air-to-air and ship-to-air. It can also serve in an air traffic control capacity in emergency situations when land-based ATC is unavailable.

The big dish on top is the radar dome. The aircraft is basically a radar station in the sky that is able to see the surface where surface-based radar stations can't.

Surveillance tasks often require airborne radar to occupy a certain area for a certain length of time. It's possible that this happened here.

The guy is seeing hummingbirds in his latest videos so I left a comment there. It is a perfect illustration of not knowing how far away a thing is or how large a thing is when you have no idea what you are seeing. Plus, you can't see wings flapping on hummingbirds - just very faint blurs on the sides of a bullet. There are also numerous species of hummingbirds, each with their own courtship flight and sounds/songs, some of which can be quite weird. The birds often begin their flight way up high where you can't see them easily with your naked eye, then on the way down they are so fast as to be pretty much invisible also.

What consumer drone density - or even spy drone density, if they tag military aircraft - would we expect around Marina Del Rey?
Marina Del Ray is the Silicon Valley of Southern California. A lot of tech start ups are in Marina Del Ray. Could be a connection with the drones.

LAX is about 5-10 mins away from Marina Del Ray.

This is another tanker. It may have circled to wait for another aircraft, or while refueling.

First, I looked up the registration:
Article:
167985 Aircraft History

Aircraft Type: Lockheed Martin KC-130-J

Then I found the type on Wikipedia:
Article:
The KC-130 is a multi-role, multi-mission tactical tanker/transport which provides the refueling support required by the USMC for its aircraft. This versatile asset provides in-flight refueling to both tactical aircraft and helicopters within a 500-nautical-mile (930 km) operating radius, as well as rapid ground refueling when required.
953px-thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
Capture.JPG

Alternatively, videos of police helicopters circling near a beach. The guy filming identifies the helos as LAPD and Los Angeles' Sheriff Department craft. Not Military. We don't see any UAPs in those clips.

The film guy's logic seems to be (from approx. 45 secs into the video),
...and they're not looking for a bank robber and there's nobody drowning...
...therefore they're chasing (invisible) UAPs.

That isn't a sensible conclusion.

How does the filmmaker know that no-one's in trouble in the water, or missing?
Maybe someone thought they saw a shark, which isn't impossible
("Shark Attack In Marina Del Rey: How Likely Is It To Happen?", The Patch, Nicole Charky, June 18 2021 link here).

The United States Government has rather more capable hardware at its disposal than the civil pattern Airbus light utility helicopters which I think are shown here.

Later in the video, the filmmaker, having said that he thinks the "dragons" are electrically powered, says
"They're using the kinetic energy from the jetty rocks to recharge" :rolleyes:

We don't see any UAPs in those clips.
That's even worse than the low information zone (LIZ) fuzzy blobs, this is the NIZ (no information zone)!

"We see no UFOs, therefore they must be there" ?

Par for the course for conspiracy theorists, I guess.

A clip showing helicopters proves the existence of helicopters. It does not prove the existence of UFOs.

A clip showing helicopters proves the existence of helicopters. It does not prove the existence of UFOs.
I agree in principle. However the helicopters (and the clip) could be faked, so you need to add "if genuine and real" into your statement :cool:

There seems to be a common modus operandi with conspiracy theorists, from flat earth, to mud floods, to (tiny? invisible?) dragons and UFOs flying around LA.
  1. See something you don't understand / can't explain
  2. Hypothesize an extraordinary explanation
  3. Devise a wacky experiment that doesn't demonstrate what you think it does (like attaching a radar detector to your camera)
  4. Misinterpret the results of the experiment as proof the hypothesis in 2 is correct, or else make up something else wacky to explain why the failed experiment still proves 2 is correct (like invisibility and radar cloaking)

1. See something you don't understand / can't explain
  2. Hypothesize an extraordinary explanation
Usually, the explanation is pre-existing in the form of belief.
The experiments then set out to "prove" that belief, regardless of outcome.
(Remember Bob Knodel, Flat Earth, and the fiber-optic gyro?)
If there's no outcome that would change their mind, it's pseudo-science.

I really appreciate and thank you all for your time on this subject. I've really resolved my doubts on this guy. Right now I'm honestly feeling really sorry about him spending several thousands on equipment to obsessively film dragonflies and hummingbirds.

I really appreciate and thank you all for your time on this subject. I've really resolved my doubts on this guy. Right now I'm honestly feeling really sorry about him spending several thousands on equipment to obsessively film dragonflies and hummingbirds.
if you reach out to him, be as nice and patient as possible and don't expect him to immediately believe you.

Back