Fake photo with real looking EXIF Data

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
This is a recent photo that I have found on flickr:
Although it is entitled "Meeting", this is apparently a superposition of two identical images of a single plane, with one of the images being rotated by an angle. What puzzles me here is the Exif info suggesting the resulting image was made by the camera. Or am I missing something?

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
Many cameras now have "effects" in the software? Perhaps this is one such effect? Do you know what camera it was?
From Exif data, the camera is SONY DSLR-A100 and the software is GIMP 2.8.6. It is not clear to me whether this software was installed on the camera itself to create "effects", or it was applied externally.

Balance

Senior Member.
It is not clear to me whether this software was installed on the camera itself to create "effects", or it was applied externally.
Yeah sorry, me stating the bleeding obvious again - just offering a possible reason how it could be so.

the camera is SONY DSLR-A100
There's nothing I can see in the manual to suggest it's a built-in effect. Regardless, it has to be post-processed either way, doesn't it?

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
There's nothing I can see in the manual to suggest it's a built-in effect. Regardless, it has to be post-processed either way, doesn't it?
I've looked trough the GIMP description (I never used this software before), the image post-processing was probably done on a computer. But (some of) the original Exif data have been retained, probably because all manipulations were made using the same single image.

NoParty

Senior Member.
This is a recent photo that I have found on flickr:
Although it is entitled "Meeting", this is apparently a superposition of two identical images of a single plane, with one of the images being rotated by an angle. What puzzles me here is the Exif info suggesting the resulting image was made by the camera. Or am I missing something?
GIMP is just a poor man's Photoshop (avail for PC & Mac)...almost certainly this image was created later...

p.s. Pulp Fiction fans may have more to add...

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
GIMP is just a poor man's Photoshop (avail for PC & Mac)...almost certainly this image was created later...
p.s. Pulp Fiction fans may have more to add...
Thanks, I have figured this out by now. But what concerns me here the most is the possibility of altering an image and passing it for the original photo due to retaining its original Exif data. :eek:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, I have figured this out by now. But what concerns me here the most is the possibility of altering an image and passing it for the original photo due to retaining its original Exif data. :eek:
There are other authentication methods, like http://www.izitru.com/ but it's always theoretically possible to make an undetectable fake. Not trivial for the average person though, until someone makes an app for that.

sharpnfuzzy

There are other authentication methods, like http://www.izitru.com/ but it's always theoretically possible to make an undetectable fake. Not trivial for the average person though, until someone makes an app for that.
Yeah not trivial but ExifTool can do it.

ExifTool supports many different metadata formats including EXIF, GPS, IPTC, XMP, JFIF, GeoTIFF, ICC Profile, Photoshop IRB, FlashPix, AFCP and ID3, as well as the maker notes of many digital cameras by Canon, Casio, FLIR, FujiFilm, GE, HP, JVC/Victor, Kodak, Leaf, Minolta/Konica-Minolta, Nikon, Nintendo, Olympus/Epson, Panasonic/Leica, Pentax/Asahi, Phase One, Reconyx, Ricoh, Samsung, Sanyo, Sigma/Foveon and Sony.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Debunked: Photo with Sun Rays at Odd Angles Flat Earth 0
D Explained: Photo of 747 with Contrails Only on One Side [Fake, April Fool] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Svartbjørn Debunked: Orlando Roller Coaster Fatalities [Stock Fake Photo, Swedish Coaster] General Discussion 7
Balance Debunked: MH370 Passenger Philip Wood sends Photo/Text from Diego Garcia [Fake EXIF GPS Data] Flight MH370 142
Mick West Debunked: Fake photo of triangle UFO and contrail Contrails and Chemtrails 4
ECWXtreme Evolution of Perpetual Motion, WORKING Free Energy Generator fake? Science and Pseudoscience 6
Rory Fake quote? "World events do not occur by accident. They are made to happen [...] by those who hold the purse strings" (attributed to Denis Healey) Quotes Debunked 12
TEEJ Fake Coronavirus Detector in Iran Coronavirus COVID-19 0
Getoffthisplanet [Fake] UFO's Casting Shadows On The Moon - "OVNI sur la Lune , 2020-03-26" Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 23
A Debunked : Fake Set Moon Landing with TV Camera and Stairs Conspiracy Theories 3
H How to Fake a UFO UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 1
deirdre Debunked: Exemption from military service doc proves Jews had foreknowledge of WW2 (fake leaflet) General Discussion 0
Rory Debunked: "You must love yourself before you love another" - fake Buddha quote Quotes Debunked 7
Mick West Blowing out Candles with a Single Punch General Discussion 47
tadaaa Debunked: Fake photos-Novichok attack Russian 'agents' (side by side gates) General Discussion 34
Mick West Russia Predicts US Will Use Fake Chemical Attack In Syria as Pretext for Missile Attacks Current Events 9
Rory Explained: Space Shuttle Footage Reflection of Face [Shot Through Window] Conspiracy Theories 5
Whitebeard UK cancer charity appoints 'fake news' nurse Health and Quackery 2
FlightMuj Debunked: Lack of fingernail bruise injury proves Apollo 17 fake Conspiracy Theories 23
Mick West NY Times: In Italian Schools, Reading, Writing and Recognizing Fake News Practical Debunking 60
deirdre Debunked: Lights chasing each other carving holes in clouds (fake video, fallstreak holes) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 17
Mick West Debunked: CIA Agent Confesses On Deathbed: ‘We Blew Up WTC7 On 9/11’ [HOAX] 9/11 12
Mick West Debunked: "Fake" live chat from the International Space Station (ISS) with Boise State Flat Earth 10
Mick West Debunked: Cargo Plane Carrying "Nukes" to Korea [French Air Display] General Discussion 5
Mick West Explained: Trump's Secret Service Agent's "Fake Hands" [Hands Ready Position] General Discussion 5
Critical Thinker Acknowledging and Confronting our own biases General Discussion 19
Mick West Burying the Debunk: How Fake News about "Pyramids" in Antarctica Creates False Balance UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 2
MikeG How Fake News Goes Viral General Discussion 122
Leifer Paid anti-Trump protesters ? it's a Hoax General Discussion 6
Mick West Debunked: Donald Trump Promises to Reopen 9/11 Probe [Fake News] 9/11 4
deirdre FBI Agent investigating Clinton email leak commited murder/suicide (Satire/Fake News Site) General Discussion 1
Rory Black square around Earth proves NASA fake footage Flat Earth 3
Juanne Pili Ufo in Daytona, Ohio [Secureteam 10 Fake] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Leifer "solar sun simulator", 1960's patent Flat Earth 4
Spiemel Fontus - self-filling water bottle (indiegogo scam campaign?) Science and Pseudoscience 185
ki_cz NASA using green screen to fake ISS experiment footage Science and Pseudoscience 14
Georgie G Debunked: SpaceX Rocket Crash Landing Anomalies General Discussion 21
Mick West Debunked: English Young Father Assaulted by Muslim Mob in Baildon, UK [White Youths] General Discussion 12
Mick West Debunked: A Snow Test for Signs of Geoengineering, Portland Oregon Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Mick West Debunked: Furious American Citizens In San Bernardino Burn Down Radical Islamic Mosque General Discussion 20
deirdre Debunked: Medical Examiner 'caught' setting up fake crime scene Sandy Hook 4
Graham2001 Debunked: 'First' FEMA Camp opens in Arizona Conspiracy Theories 7
E Debunked: Virginia Shooting Hoax Claims - Lack of visible shell casings mean fake gun Conspiracy Theories 22
Mick West Debunked: Chattanooga shooting victim fake Conspiracy Theories 6
Mick West Debunked: CyberBerkut Video Supposedly Showing Staged ISIS beheading of Foley Conspiracy Theories 37
G Needs debunking: Video of a solar eclipse is fake because we cannot see the moon covering the sun Flat Earth 5
Graham2001 Debunked: FVX Research [Fake Web Site] Conspiracy Theories 1
TEEJ Belfast Observer Skywatch claiming that airliners do not appear on Flight Radar 24 - 10th March 2015 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Eyes_Open Hi Everyone - General Discussion 1
deirdre Madison Moonstar's Fake clouds Contrails and Chemtrails 2
Related Articles

Related Articles