Fake photo with real looking EXIF Data

Trailspotter

Senior Member.
This is a recent photo that I have found on flickr:

Although it is entitled "Meeting", this is apparently a superposition of two identical images of a single plane, with one of the images being rotated by an angle. What puzzles me here is the Exif info suggesting the resulting image was made by the camera. Or am I missing something?

Many cameras now have "effects" in the software? Perhaps this is one such effect? Do you know what camera it was?
From Exif data, the camera is SONY DSLR-A100 and the software is GIMP 2.8.6. It is not clear to me whether this software was installed on the camera itself to create "effects", or it was applied externally.

It is not clear to me whether this software was installed on the camera itself to create "effects", or it was applied externally.
Yeah sorry, me stating the bleeding obvious again - just offering a possible reason how it could be so.

the camera is SONY DSLR-A100
There's nothing I can see in the manual to suggest it's a built-in effect. Regardless, it has to be post-processed either way, doesn't it?

There's nothing I can see in the manual to suggest it's a built-in effect. Regardless, it has to be post-processed either way, doesn't it?

I've looked trough the GIMP description (I never used this software before), the image post-processing was probably done on a computer. But (some of) the original Exif data have been retained, probably because all manipulations were made using the same single image.

This is a recent photo that I have found on flickr:

Although it is entitled "Meeting", this is apparently a superposition of two identical images of a single plane, with one of the images being rotated by an angle. What puzzles me here is the Exif info suggesting the resulting image was made by the camera. Or am I missing something?

GIMP is just a poor man's Photoshop (avail for PC & Mac)...almost certainly this image was created later...

p.s. Pulp Fiction fans may have more to add...

GIMP is just a poor man's Photoshop (avail for PC & Mac)...almost certainly this image was created later...
p.s. Pulp Fiction fans may have more to add...

Thanks, I have figured this out by now. But what concerns me here the most is the possibility of altering an image and passing it for the original photo due to retaining its original Exif data. :eek:

Thanks, I have figured this out by now. But what concerns me here the most is the possibility of altering an image and passing it for the original photo due to retaining its original Exif data. :eek:
There are other authentication methods, like http://www.izitru.com/ but it's always theoretically possible to make an undetectable fake. Not trivial for the average person though, until someone makes an app for that.

There are other authentication methods, like http://www.izitru.com/ but it's always theoretically possible to make an undetectable fake. Not trivial for the average person though, until someone makes an app for that.

Yeah not trivial but ExifTool can do it.

ExifTool supports many different metadata formats including EXIF, GPS, IPTC, XMP, JFIF, GeoTIFF, ICC Profile, Photoshop IRB, FlashPix, AFCP and ID3, as well as the maker notes of many digital cameras by Canon, Casio, FLIR, FujiFilm, GE, HP, JVC/Victor, Kodak, Leaf, Minolta/Konica-Minolta, Nikon, Nintendo, Olympus/Epson, Panasonic/Leica, Pentax/Asahi, Phase One, Reconyx, Ricoh, Samsung, Sanyo, Sigma/Foveon and Sony.

Back