Explained: Reddit UFO Los Angeles lights in the sky [Light on Pole]

jarlrmai

Senior Member.
This video was posted to the UFO Reddit last night

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/qnckv6/can_anyone_explain_this_happened_in_la_last_night/

I did some initial investigation over there, brightened the video and worked out the location and direction the photo was taken from.
1Os5U6m.png
Its here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.0...4!1sO4fUqA7i3Rlih-gxbBJjSg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

St Louis Street Los Angles looking down Judson Street towards an intersection on i5/i10/US101

So it follows that this likely is intersection lighting in the fog, however I am unable to find a matching lighting structure on the intersection, I used Bing and Google maps and various street view angles.

Google maps reveals recent new planned construction that might indicate there were recently modifications to the intersection to add lighting etc, however this would be fairly recent last few months and not on the current aerial photography.

DgrOdQW.png

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.0538183,-118.2146463,270m/data=!3m1!1e3

If we knew the name of the intersection we might be able to find newer photos/traffic cams or news articles about recent construction of lighting.

Or possibly you might find some other angle/approach I missed.

Last edited:
Interesting thing here to me: my knee jerk reaction might be to shake my head and laugh at the tat people are posting and discussing over at reddit - but I followed the link and scrolled through some comments and it seems like 99% are either (gently) ridiculing the photographer and anyone who buys into it or doing good research into probable explanations (seemingly spearheaded by our friend jarlrmai and one or two others).

So that's heartening.

Interesting thing here to me: my knee jerk reaction might be to shake my head and laugh at the tat people are posting and discussing over at reddit - but I followed the link and scrolled through some comments and it seems like 99% are either (gently) ridiculing the photographer and anyone who buys into it or doing good research into probable explanations (seemingly spearheaded by our friend jarlrmai and one or two others).

So that's heartening.

Yeah it's very group think, you get ahead of the narrative early and the video gets deflated still has over 1k upvotes though, the issue is it doesn't matter when many times you do it people there still believe at some level.

I just like the detective work.

Yeah it's very group think, you get ahead of the narrative early and the video gets deflated still has over 1k upvotes though, the issue is it doesn't matter when many times you do it people there still believe at some level.

I just like the detective work.

That work is appreciated.

What seems to be happening over at Reddit (r/UFOs), is that the "believer" does not need any video of "proof" to keep their belief system satisfied. They rely and trust certain persons in the media (not naming them, but you know them, or the specific person, very well), and fully agree without question. Scary right? A secondary effect of course is that they attack others, that are critical to the subject..

Attachments

• 1636236749558.png
    1636236749558.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 298
I added a pole near as I could to the location on Google Earth
1636283184972.png

Then went back to the original location in street view

1636283150048.png

I added a pole near as I could to the location on Google Earth

Then went back to the original location in street view

You cannot make the debunk more solid than this! Good work. I believe even on Reddit they now understand it is not alienz. It took some effort, yes.

Pointing out the obvious, the object only appears to move as the observer starts moving, which supports the notion that the 6 lights are stationary, and the appearance of motion is due to parallax.

High_mast_lamp-1.jpg
( Nikhilb239, CC BY-SA, https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:High_mast_lamp.jpg )
The structure is called a "high-mast" luminaire, afaik it's always got six luminaire heads on it, servicing the luminaires requires lowering the entire ring assembly via a steel cable (can be seen here at the 7 o'clock position). The above picture also has what appears to be six femto-cells, each of which is a device with a cellular base radio and likely a panel antenna in the "lid" of the box.

In the original video, the light flips back and forth from multi light, to solid bright light.
I am thinking this is due to the simple act of the recording camera "trying" to gain proper exposure..... flipping back and forth for correct (automatic) exposure or focus.

Last edited:
Back