Explained: Alicante Cloud Engulfs Beachside Hotels [Advection Fog]

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting cloud, on first glance it looks a bit like smoke and dust from a collapsed building:

If you look closer it's not really as dense as it seems, it's actually quite wispy. The fog seems darker because there are dark buildings in the fog, and dark hills behind it.

It's actually just another example of foggy air from the ocean moving in and rising up over beachside hotels, forming more dense fog as it rises, like this example in Panama City, Florida,

The rising air cools slightly as it rises, and as the conditions are "just right" for fog formation, this make more fog form as the air rises. Technically it's a type of "advection fog" (advection means the movement of the air, so it's fog caused by the air movement).

http://www.hko.gov.hk/education/edu01met/wxphe/ele_water4seasons_e.htm

The Daily Mail even covered this new story, with an essentially correct explanation:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/a...ulfing-Alicante-beach-prompts-fears-fire.html
Here's another, less dramatic example:
http://zihuatanejo.net/blog/2012/04/11/day-of-the-strange-fog-in-ixtapa-zihuatanejo/

Another in china:
http://english.cntv.cn/20110610/104774.shtml

Here the fog seems to be caused by the rising of the air over the bridge:
http://epod.usra.edu/blog/2003/06/deception-pass.html

And similar fog in San Francisco, where fog is more common

And a cool video showing the SF fog in more detail, and how quickly it moves, like the "smoke" in the first video:

Last edited:

derwoodii

Senior Member.
amzin nature, thanks the post i've not seen this before,,, on mountains yes not over beach front high rise.

from the utube comments:)

SR1419

Senior Member.

Those pictures of the fog over the beach hotels are amazing!

Not to nitpick but I dont think the fog in San Francisco is the same thing...I dont think its advection fog. I think its just standard ocean fog (if there is a difference). The picture shows it streaming up and over Alcatraz but what it doesnt show is that the fog is just a tendril pouring in the Golden Gate from the huge fog bank just offshore. Same thing with the pour-over on the coastal ridge. Thats just the afternoon push of coastal fog. I live about a mile from the Golden Gate and a coastal ridge and often the fog will appear to be pouring over the top - soon to envelop the other side- but dissipate continually as it crests the ridge. It will do this all day and them sometime in the night will finally win out and you will wake up to fog. (Another time I lived in a high hill in SF and we had what I termed "fog blizzards"- the fog would come roaring in with 20-30mph winds for several hours- pretty cold and miserable fro June- yet I could look out my window and see sunlight in the rest of the city...)

Depending on the conditions, sometimes the fog is just over water off shore, sometimes it slips in the gate enveloping the bridge (over even just under it) but still just sticking over water, sometimes its pours over the coastal hills- eventually spilling over the City and coastal areas, sometimes its has a high deck (2000ft) and moves over 30 miles inland. Its a main factor in the "micro climates". It can be 54 and foggy at the coast and 100 and sunny 30 miles inland.

wiki explains better than I can:

I have been in coastal NorCal for almost 20yrs and still find the fog fascinating.

GGFog.jpg SFfog.jpg

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
The SF fog may not be entirely advection fog, but it's certainly advecting :)

I included it because it was similar looking, and the video shows just how fast it can move. We have similar fog rolling in here in Venice occasionally (the marine layer). It can be lovely sunny day, then then two minutes later it's cloudy and freezing. Really confuses the tourists.

SR1419

Senior Member.

I included it because it was similar looking, and the video shows just how fast it can move. We have similar fog rolling in here in Venice occasionally (the marine layer). It can be lovely sunny day, then then two minutes later it's cloudy and freezing. Really confuses the tourists.

They say you can tell the tourists in SF because they are wearing shorts...and a brand new "San Francisco" sweatshirt :)

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
They say you can tell the tourists in SF because they are wearing shorts...and a brand new "San Francisco" sweatshirt :)
Hah, I think I've bought three Venice Beach sweatshirts unexpectedly in the last 20 years, and I live here.

WeedWhacker

They say you can tell the tourists in SF because they are wearing shorts...
Hang on a tick!!! I wear shorts (here in LA) year 'round! Even when I lived back East, in the DC area....(I had a next-door neighbor who teased me about it!).

Soulfly

Banned
Banned

The marine layer in S.F. isn't quite as bad as say the fog in the central valley is. Visibility can drop to your windshield in some places on a regular basis. Pacheco Pass comes to mind.

NoParty

Senior Member.
There's a beautiful little mountain just north of SF, called Mount Tamalpais...there's a small campground ("Pantoll")
near the top...I used to set up a little camp there and take my niece on the lovely stroll down to Stinson Beach.

Point being, sometimes, right in the middle of a gorgeous, sunny afternoon, a giant cloud will just envelope the mountain,
and you're instantly & shockingly in a dark, damp, chilly place.

Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 11.31.30 AM.png

WeedWhacker

...and you're instantly & shockingly in a dark, damp, chilly place.
That is poetic in a way, and frankly, sounds delightful!!

(Maybe I'm just being morbid.....)

(The new episode of "Game of Thrones", Saeson...SEASON 4 comes on tonight. It's on my mind, I suppose....)

Soulfly

Banned
Banned
Best advice I can give to anyone planning a trip to San Francisco in the summer is, bring a jacket!

And the tenderloin is not a restaurant, you don't want to visit there!

Bill

Senior Member.
Best advice I can give to anyone planning a trip to San Francisco in the summer is, bring a jacket!

And the tenderloin is not a restaurant, you don't want to visit there!
But if you want to learn about the glorious people's revolution of Cuba you should visit Castro Street.

WeedWhacker

Tule fog.....oh man, that brings back memories....haven't heard that term in a long time.

Really, I appreciate that you just stimulated those memory engrams!! ;)

The "Ultimate Computer"....even in the 1960s, the danger was hinted at:

Hetware

Interesting cloud, on first glance it looks a bit like smoke and dust from a collapsed building:

If you look closer it's not really as dense as it seems, it's actually quite wispy. The fog seems darker because there are dark buildings in the fog, and dark hills behind it.

It's actually just another example of foggy air from the ocean moving in and rising up over beachside hotels, forming more dense fog as it rises, like this example in Panama City, Florida,

The rising air cools slightly as it rises, and as the conditions are "just right" for fog formation, this make more fog form as the air rises. Technically it's a type of "advection fog" (advection means the movement of the air, so it's fog caused by the air movement).

http://www.hko.gov.hk/education/edu01met/wxphe/ele_water4seasons_e.htm

The Daily Mail even covered this new story, with an essentially correct explanation:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/a...ulfing-Alicante-beach-prompts-fears-fire.html
Here's another, less dramatic example:
http://zihuatanejo.net/blog/2012/04/11/day-of-the-strange-fog-in-ixtapa-zihuatanejo/

Another in china:
http://english.cntv.cn/20110610/104774.shtml

Here the fog seems to be caused by the rising of the air over the bridge:
http://epod.usra.edu/blog/2003/06/deception-pass.html

And a cool video showing the SF fog in more detail, and how quickly it moves, like the "smoke" in the first video:
By the love of the mighty Aesir, that is beautiful!

cloudspotter

Senior Member.
I live on the North Sea coast so I'm quite familiar with the Haar or Sea Fret that we get. My other half is from the south coast though and it did freak her out a bit the first time she experienced it. :D

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Explained: New Navy UFO Videos UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 69
Cassi O Polaris Height Perspective Explained (No math required) Flat Earth 1
Mick West Explained: RARE Video Footage of "Alien Space Craft" WATCHING ISS Astronaut! UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
A Explained: astronaut's movement causes lunar flag to wave in Apollo 15 footage Conspiracy Theories 0
Mick West Explained: The "Many Faces" of Patrick Crusius, the El Paso Shooter Conspiracy Theories 22
Mick West Explained: "Beam of Light" in To The Stars Academy header images UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: "UFOS" in Donald Trump's Crowd Photo on 4th of July UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 3
D Explained: Photo of 747 with Contrails Only on One Side [Fake, April Fool] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Qulaey Explained: 17.61 Mile Mirror Flash Supposedly Proves Flat Earth [Refraction] Flat Earth 5
Mick West Explained: The Navy's New "UFO" Reporting Guidelines UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 32
Mick West Explained: "It's photoshopped because it has to be" Flat Earth 3
Mick West Explained: Jet Chasing UFO: X-45A and F/A-18B Formation Flight Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Trailblazer Explained: video of concentric circular "chemtrails" (E-3 Sentry AWACS plane, Feb 1 2019) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Rory Explained: How Mount Rainier helps demonstrate the shape of the globe Flat Earth 38
creatonez Explained: Why the Earth does not look oblate in photos from space Flat Earth 0
MikeG Explained: EU Army Deployed to Paris Conspiracy Theories 1
Mick West Explained: Unexplained Green Light During Thunderstorm Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Explained: Flashes of Light During the World Trade Center Collapse 9/11 5
Mick West Explained: House "Cut in Half", Tubbs Fire, Santa Rosa, Coffey Park Wildfires 0
Mick West Explained: Burnt Cars on California Beach [TV Set] Wildfires 1
Mick West Explained: Unknown Brewing Company UFO UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: Why Kavanaugh's Calendar PDF looks Edited [OCR] Current Events 0
Mick West Explained: Mysterious Red Planet Like Object Filmed Next To The Moon. Atglen [Reflection] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: Podesta 14 + Fish [Promotional Tweet for UN Global Sustainability Goals] Conspiracy Theories 7
Mick West Explained: Dark Streak UFO Photo - Barn Swallow + Motion Blur UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: DEW Energy Beam Starting Forest Fires - Dirty Lens, Light Streak Conspiracy Theories 13
Mick West Explained: A Dozen Or More Southern Valley UFOs UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: Floating Triangle UFO in Buenos Aires Google Maps [Bridge] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Rory Explained: Space Shuttle Footage Reflection of Face [Shot Through Window] Conspiracy Theories 5
Mick West Explained: Washington State Island "Mystery missile" - Helicopter Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 49
Andrew Gillett Explained: Squares in the sky? [Reflection of lights in a window] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 18
Mick West Explained: Mysterious lights over Milwaukee [Seagulls, Night Exposure Trails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 27
Mick West Explained: Why Some Marjory Stoneman Douglas Shooting Google Search Results Predate the Event Conspiracy Theories 1
Priyadi Explained: Why We Don't See Satellites in Photos Taken From The ISS Flat Earth 1
Trailblazer Explained: Vatican "chemtrail spraying" coin [part of set depicting Pope's travels] Contrails and Chemtrails 4
deirdre Explained: Mysterious burning crater in Mexico spurs UFO crash speculation (Garbage pit) UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Benjamin Moore Explained: Why Earth Has A Magnetic Core Even Though the core is Molten Metal Flat Earth 2
FlightMuj Explained: Photo from ISS shows "open window" [Scratch Cover] Flat Earth 2
Mick West Explained: "Smoke Trails" On 9/11 World Trade Center Falling Debris [Dust/Powder] 9/11 10
Mick West Explained: Roy Moore Two Color Yearbook Signature [Depth of Field Chromatic Aberration] Conspiracy Theories 34
Mick West Explained: Why Planes Get Dented Nosecones - It's Mostly Birds General Discussion 4
Mick West Explained: Unburned trees next to burned down structures as evidence of secret "energy weapons" Wildfires 119
Mick West Explained: Photo of "UFO" Used in Connection with Nimitz Incident [Balloon] UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 8
Mick West Explained: Mexico City Earthquake Lights [Power Line Arcing and Transformer Explosions] Science and Pseudoscience 30
Mick West Explained: Cloud Seeding Weather Modification in Texas before Hurricane Harvey Contrails and Chemtrails 1
Bunkmeister Explained: Coast Guard Geographic Range Table promoted by flat earthers Flat Earth 15
Mick West Explained: Charlottesville Car Attack License Plates - Ohio GVF 1111 (and GVF 1122) Conspiracy Theories 2
FlightMuj Explained: NASA documents stating a flat Earth??? Linear Aircraft Models Flat Earth 7
FlightMuj Explained: 443 km distance- mountains visible. Flat Earth 13
Mick West Explained: Manurewa NZ, 'Extra-terrestrial' Fireball Jumps Up [Contrail, Altitude change] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Related Articles

Related Articles