Documentary Recommendation: Mirage Men

I recently watched this and there was a small part about 23 minutes in where they were interviewing Dr. Christopher Green. He mentioned that he had heard from his special forces body guard that he (the body guard) was part of a special group in New Mexico that used uniquely equipped helicopters to fly around pretending to be UFOs. I just thought that was really interesting and was wondering how the existence of a program like that could be verified.

As somebody who lived through those very strange times, one of the (numerous) amazing things about this film is Richard Doty basically confessing to everything. It occurred to me that maybe this is how intelligence agencies wrap up "perception management" operations, by admitting, "yeah, we did that."

I have seen Mirage Men and merely found myself confused as to whether the original psy-op was a psy-op, or there is a new psy-op to psy-op the original psy-op, or we are being de-psy-opped into a new psy-op where the original psy-op was a de-psy-op to cover up yet more psy-op.

I have seen Mirage Men and merely found myself confused as to whether the original psy-op was a psy-op, or there is a new psy-op to psy-op the original psy-op, or we are being de-psy-opped into a new psy-op where the original psy-op was a de-psy-op to cover up yet more psy-op.

Indeedy. I wish I'd read this thread before responding to the ..backfiring thread! However, I'm glad I added the final sentence to that post, that's where the payload lies.

Here's an excerpt available on YouTube from Adam Curtis' HyperNormalisation which uses a few clips from Mirage Men:

Last edited:
I recently watched this and there was a small part about 23 minutes in where they were interviewing Dr. Christopher Green. He mentioned that he had heard from his special forces body guard that he (the body guard) was part of a special group in New Mexico that used uniquely equipped helicopters to fly around pretending to be UFOs. I just thought that was really interesting and was wondering how the existence of a program like that could be verified.

Interesting documentary, poor old LMH.

Didn't Fravor mention in his chat with Rogan that him and other pilots used to spook campers into thinking they'd seen UFO's. They don't even need a special group, just pranksters. ( Will attempt to find clip ).

Fravor describing purposefully creating ufo events:
Source: https://youtu.be/Eco2s3-0zsQ?t=2983

Last edited:
That's interesting. Is it really too much of a stretch then to say that every unusual sighting of aerial phenomena for the past 70 years has been man-made if it wasn't the product of some natural mechanism we didn't understand at the time?

I'm not sure you can draw much from this other than the situation is complicated and made more so by bad faith actors.

But there's certainly an incentive to perpetuate the myth of alien visitation when you can use that to obscure development and testing of real technology. I'm not saying that the current custodians of the UFO phenomenon are part of some psy-op but I think the people in the shadows are quietly chuckling to themselves and letting them have their fun.

I've personally seen unusually brightly lit military helicopters fly circuits around the campgrounds of alternative music festivals (where perceptions are generally at least somewhat altered).

Exactly. But the result is to raise the plausibility of the psy-op explanation to much higher than it is typically assumed to be.

Back