DEBUNKED: Natural News - Nanosized AL in chemtrails causes alzheimer's.

HappyMonday

A rehash / repost of old bunk from Natural News appeared today -

http://www.naturalnews.com/041201_chemtrails_nanoparticles_degenerative_disease.html#ixzz2ajXnPMka

To paraphrase the essence of the article:

Back in the 1960's, quiet scientific dialogue began about global climate change and how it can be manipulated. What might have turned into a productive discussion of responsible protection of Earth's climate and ecosystem had eventually evolved into a mad, controlling science experiment. By the 21st century, jumbo jets were being deployed to drop billions of dollars of nanosized aluminum and other particles into the skies. In attempts to reflect sunlight away from the Earth and cool climate temperatures, this science experiment has exploited populations of people to mass amounts of airborne metals that are literally raining down and poisoning everyone, slowly, subtly.

According to neuro-surgeon Russell L. Blaylock, the nanosized aluminum particles found in chem-trails are contributing heavily to degenerative disease today.

As the reality of geo-engineering takes hold and as the consequences mount, it's never too late to stop the madness and work together for real grassroots environmental conservation. As these geo engineering experiments utilize military jumbo jets to unleash massive amounts of nanosized aluminum, strontium, and barium particles into the atmosphere, many may wonder if the global warming debate is just political distraction to gain public acceptance for the geo-engineering tactics. Many people are beginning to feel that these chem-trails are secretly employed to control and depopulate. After all, millions of unknowing people have become victims to these mass sprays, as they've become like fish in a bowl. Check your skies for chem-trails.

The effects of greenhouse gases are real, but when did any group, government, or billionaire gain the authority to use jets to pour massive amounts of elements on unsuspecting populations of people? As much as their research sounds accredited, they have no moral authority and they have no idea what they are destroying as soil and plants soak up the mass sprays falling on them.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/041201_chemtrails_nanoparticles_degenerative_disease.html#ixzz2ajtWI72x
Content from External Source
It's essentially old claims rehashed to reinforce the currently fashionable conflation of the chemtrail theory with 'geo-engineering is bad' sentiment, in the form of a tabloid style scare story.

It links the work of Russell Blaylock, who posited an increase in Altzeimers rates due to nanoparticle exposure, to the usual chemtrail conspiracy claims. A skeptical background on Blaylock can be found here.

The article assumes from it's opening paragraph that geoengineering is on-going around the world. There is no evidence for this, as this debunking thread on the matter explains, amongst many others here on Metabunk.

The post cites a very selectively referenced New York Times article as a source. This article refers to a draft study on a possible geoengineering strategy -

The stratospheric plan called for fighting one kind of pollution (excess greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide) with another (sulfur dioxide)...
Nowhere are nanosized aluminium, strontium, and barium particles mentioned, yet this is the claim in the Natural News piece.

I particularly liked the contradictory language below -

...quiet discussions about climate change erupted in the 1960's

Last edited by a moderator:
I will play Devils Advocate here. There is a link between Al and Alzheimers. At present there is no causal link but there certainly is an accumulation in brain tissue. Nano particles don't have to be present just in chemtrails as they are inbiquitous in the food chain. There does appear to be an increase in Al in our food and stuff, which for me is a concern, so I don't know about been able to debunk the general claim.

I will play Devils Advocate here. There is a link between Al and Alzheimers. At present there is no causal link but there certainly is an accumulation in brain tissue. Nano particles don't have to be present just in chemtrails as they are inbiquitous in the food chain. There does appear to be an increase in Al in our food and stuff, which for me is a concern, so I don't know about been able to debunk the general claim.
I'm sure science can come up with GMOs that resists Al absorbtion. :)

Fair enough Dave, I need to edit the thread title. I'm interested in debunking the link to supposed aluminium chemtrails.

Without any evidence of ongoing spraying, there can't be any link between alzheimers and chemtrails regardless of whether Blaylock's research into the effects of aluminium are correct.

This is apparently an interview with the man -

As this is one of the evidence sources that resurfaces periodically linked with chemtrails theory, I thought it could do with a solid, single post rebuttal that's easily googled.

There is another thread on the subject of Dr Blaylock and AL chemtrails, but it was derailed fairly early on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have spotted on PMC/PubMed an interesting recent peer-review paper explaining the history and the science of the alleged link between Aluminum exposure and Alzheimer's disease:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4131942/

Taking from the abstract:
The Aluminum Hypothesis, the idea that aluminum exposure is involved in the etiology of Alzheimer disease, dates back to a 1965 demonstration that aluminum causes neurofibrillary tangles in the brains of rabbits. Initially the focus of intensive research, the Aluminum Hypothesis has gradually been abandoned by most researchers. Yet, despite this current indifference, the Aluminum Hypothesis continues to attract the attention of a small group of scientists and aluminum continues to be viewed with concern by some of the public. This review article discusses reasons that mainstream science has largely abandoned the Aluminum Hypothesis and explores a possible reason for some in the general public continuing to view aluminum with mistrust.

I have spotted on PMC/PubMed an interesting recent peer-review paper explaining the history and the science of the alleged link between Aluminum exposure and Alzheimer's disease:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4131942/

Some fascinating things in there, anti-aluminum quackery and profiteering, 100 years ago.
Decades before there were any journal articles suggesting a possible link between aluminum and AD, the idea that aluminum was dangerous was already firmly implanted in the minds of many. What amounts to a crusade against aluminum was initiated by a dentist from Ohio, Charles Truax Betts. Suffering from severe gastritis, Dr Betts reported: “In 1913, I was forced to abandon practice and was informed that I might possibly continue to live three months.” On the basis of his belief that he had been poisoned by aluminum, he “...discarded all our aluminum (which included everything in the utensil line) and within eight weeks was able to resume practice and have enjoyed good health ever since....”69 Shortly thereafter he began, what was initially a one-man campaign, to alert the public to what he perceived were the dangers of aluminum. Dr Betts was a tireless campaigner giving numerous public discourses and a prolific writer producing many articles and pamphlets conveying his viewpoint. Although attention was largely focused on aluminum cooking utensils (eg, Betts70), he also warned about aluminum in baking powder, water, and other possible sources. In addition to attributing digestive problems to aluminum exposure, Dr Betts also indicated that this metal causes various illnesses, including infertility, heart disease, cancer, blindness, insanity, and assorted neurological disorders. His cause was soon taken up by the Seventh Day Adventists who, through their publication (the Golden Age), gave Dr Betts's ideas wide distribution. These magazines were actively sold door to door; the production figure for 1934 was 2,406,400 and for 1935 was 3,451,300.71 More than 130 articles about aluminum were published in the Golden Age between 1925 and 1969.72 In addition to raising public concerns, the campaign against aluminum spawned a profitable new business opportunity—aluminum-free cookware and aluminum-free food stuffs. Typical of those who took advantage of this new source of income was Adolphus Hohensee (active from the 1940s to the 1960s). “Aluminum was the particular bugaboo, a scare doctrine at least half a century old. Hohensee had propagated this theory right from the start. He also denounced the hazards of peeling vegetables with metal knives. Like other fringe operators, he had his own ‘safe’ tenderizer and Lucite knives to sell.”

Back