Contrails at 5000 feet?

pupa

Contrails generaly start at 25000 and over or so I have read. Could someone please explain to me why I am seeing these trails on a hot July afternoon in a grid formation at approx 5000 feet. i live by the airport btw and can see all planes landing and taking off. These trails do not coincide with any normal flight path. Some of them appear to hang vertically in the sky ike huge columns.

Hi Pupa.

Most likely the trails you see are not at 5,000 feet, and are more like at 35,000 feet. It's quite hard to tell.

It's easy to make the mistake that the apparent distance above the horizon is the same as altitude. It's not - especially when the planes are some distance away.

Consider for comparison the Everest View Hotel, which is at about 13,000 feet, and the view it has of Mt. Everest, which is at 30,000 feet.

(And notice Everest, the highest mountain in the world, actually looks a little lower than the surrounding peaks from this perspective.

Last edited:
Hi Pupa.

Most likely the trails you see are not at 5,000 feet, and are more like at 35,000 feet. It's quite hard to tell.

It's easy to make the mistake that the apparent distance above the horizon is the same as altitude. It's not - especially when the planes are some distance away.

Consider for comparison the Everest View Hotel, which is at about 13,000 feet, and the view it has of Mt. Everest, which is at 30,000 feet.

(And notice Everest, the highest mountain in the world, actually looks a little lower than the surrounding peaks from this perspective.

Ok that makes sense. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back