College Course on Conspiracies

MikeG

Senior Member.
I followed up on a suggestion that Mick made back in post #54.

Towards the end of the semester, I submitted the 2013 Public Policy Polling (PPP) survey to five sections of introductory history students. I received 124 responses from a group of kids who represent a fairly general cross section of the school.

The results are attached. As noted, the first percentage comes from my conspiracy class, the second from the introductory history students, and the third from the national survey.

The results were interesting.

In some cases, specifically questions #2, 4, 12, 13, 17, and 19, the introductory students were closer to the national survey than my class.

In other cases, questions #1, 3, 5, 9, 11, 15, 18, and 20, they almost split the difference between my class and the PPP respondents.

In only a few instances, was the general student population close to my conspiracy class. That was true with respect to the moon landing (Question #7), whether Barack Obama is the anti-Christ (Question #8), and mind-control technology (Question #16).

I did notice that students in the surveys indicated “not sure” more often in their answers.

There is nothing definitive here given the sample size, but I could put a few ideas forward.

It looks like students interested in taking a conspiracy class are much more vested in them than the regular student body or the public at large.

Demographics and ideology are distinct features. All the student respondents are young, which may explain why so many listed “unsure” in their answers or, conversely were more readily willing to believe in some theories.

The general student population also tended to be more male (64% versus 57%) and more politically moderate (52% versus 30%).

Additional comments and questions are definitely welcome.

Attachments

• Conspiracy Survey Results Updated.docx
    165.1 KB · Views: 382

MikeG

Senior Member.
I had an interesting moment in my conspiracy class this week. We were finishing up the section that covers chemtrails and contrails. As part of the class, I showed part of What in the World are They Spraying that covers Dane Wigington’s property in California.

Pond.png
We went over the lab report that Michael J. Murphy cited in the movie.

One student asked why there were fish in a pond that was so highly toxic. Fair point.

I have a few science majors in class. One studies geology and another environmental sciences.

The environmental studies student was fairly bursting at the seams after watching the movie. He was particularly focused on Wigington’s statements about the pond liner that was supposed to ensure the water remained pristine.

My student made the point that the liner would basically make all the material that settled on the bottom of the pond even more concentrated than a normal body of water. The pond sludge –comprised of windborne dust and runoff—examined in the lab report would, as a result would have even higher concentrations of all elements present.

He was exactly right.

That was a good day to be a teacher.

deirdre

Senior Member.
My student made the point that the liner would basically make all the material that settled on the bottom of the pond even more concentrated than a normal body of water. The pond sludge –comprised of windborne dust and runoff—examined in the lab report would, as a result would have even higher concentrations of all elements present.
I don't get it. I haven't seen the movie so am unfamiliar with the pond construction, what run off? And isn't most sludge in a fake pond from fish droppings and sun (algae)?. also unlike natural ponds, fake ponds usually have filters. although if your filter system rots, you'd need to add chemicals from time to time.

Basically.. did your student provide evidence of this?

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's not really clear why would a lined pond have more aluminum in the bottom sludge than a natural pond that sits on dirt and rock which is 8% aluminum?

The pond was discussed quite a bit here in the context of my debate with Dane:
https://www.metabunk.org/posts/60877/

MikeG

Senior Member.
I don't get it. I haven't seen the movie so am unfamiliar with the pond construction, what run off? And isn't most sludge in a fake pond from fish droppings and sun (algae)?. also unlike natural ponds, fake ponds usually have filters. although if your filter system rots, you'd need to add chemicals from time to time.

Basically.. did your student provide evidence of this?

We took it directly from What in the World are They Spraying. At 29:46, Murphy uses an establishing shot for the pond.

WWTS.png

It sits right at the base of a few hills on Wigington's property.

btw, I also used some of Mick's responses in the debate with Wigington.

Leifer

Senior Member.
"Critical Thinking 101"

I was once told that a rebellious teacher offered a "Critical Thinking" class, at a small college.
(lost the link, but imagining such a scenario could exist)
But the class was about criticizing (critiquing) the establishment and the powers that govern us, and adding weight to conspiracies.
The professor was misinforming his students as to what 'critical thinking' really is.
It's not about a (subjective) emotional critique, it's about examining all aspects of a topic, and how the mind interprets available data, and to understand how to evaluate objectively.

The teacher was providing a disservice, by implying that critical thinking is a method of expressing dissatisfaction.

Some insightful blogging, from a teacher :
https://theactivistclassroom.wordpr...on-teaching-students-about-critical-thinking/

Last edited:

MikeG

Senior Member.
That is Lake Shasta. The pond is a lot smaller.

Good to know.

So, I need to find the actual pond and then compare it to a topographical map. That will establish whether or not it is downslope of any of the hills on the property.

I'll use the link that Mick provided in the post above.

MikeG

Senior Member.
"Critical Thinking 101"

I was once told that a rebellious teacher offered a "Critical Thinking" class, at a small college.
(lost the link, but imagining such a scenario could exist)
But the class was about criticizing (critiquing) the establishment and the powers that govern us, and adding weight to conspiracies.
The professor was misinforming his students as to what 'critical thinking' really is.
It's not about a (subjective) emotional critique, it's about examining all aspects of a topic, and how the mind interprets available data, and to understand how to evaluate objectively.

The teacher was providing a disservice, by implying that critical thinking is a method of expressing dissatisfaction.

Some insightful blogging, from a teacher :
https://theactivistclassroom.wordpr...on-teaching-students-about-critical-thinking/

I agree.

I think we misinterpret critical thinking with being contrary.

I learned a really long time ago that teaching was not a matter of winning arguments, but passing along tools to understand issues and discuss them as part of a civil discourse.

Sadly, that sounds like pie-in-the-sky these days, but it doesn't mean that I'll stop trying.

Leifer

Senior Member.
Unfortunately, the word "Critical" can have both, an objective and a subjective definition.
'Critical' can mean "the importance of understanding or specifying something, to the most minute detail."
or
"Critical', "to evaluate something, based on personal understandings,feelings or biases.....the result of a 'critique'."

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Debunked: Claim that the Electoral College Count On Jan 6 will Change the Election Election 2020 136
Mick West Conspiracy Watch: Umpqua Community College Shooting, Roseburg Oregon Conspiracy Theories 90
derwoodii Laser could trigger rain and lightning UCF College of Optics & Photonics General Discussion 5
Mick West Santa Monica College (SMC) Shooting near Obama visit Conspiracy Theories 44
JFDee 9/11 Conspiracy Idea Slipped into Academic Course Material (France) 9/11 8
scombrid Debunked: Chemtrails and Chembombs Cause Hurricane Isaac to Change Course Contrails and Chemtrails 5
Mick West TFTRH #44 - Steven Hassan: Cults and Conspiracies Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 2
A Why 9/11 Truthers Are Wrong About The Facts | (Part 1 w/ Mick West) 9/11 1
Mick West Coronavis and the Food Supply: News, Rumors, Spin, and Conspiracies Coronavirus COVID-19 5
Mick West TFTRH #11: Jim Lee – Chemtrails, Geoengineering, Conspiracies, and Semantics Tales From the Rabbit Hole Podcast 1
Mick West 2018 Hurricane Season and Weather Control Conspiracies Current Events 16
Mick West Eruption of Kilauea Volcano in Hawaii – Conspiracies and Science Current Events 34
MikeG Claim: DC officials are "flocking" to "Doomsday Camps" Conspiracy Theories 4
MikeG Resilient Cities Contrails and Chemtrails 0
Mick West Cults, Conspiracies, and Addiction - Similarities and Differences in Interaction Approaches Practical Debunking 12
MikeG Everything wrong with Hillary Clinton/Medical Conspiracies Conspiracy Theories 8
MikeG Florida Zika Response a "Martial Law Exercise" Conspiracy Theories 0
MikeG VA Taking Veterans' Guns Conspiracy Theories 0
MikeG Explained: UN Vehicles Spotted (Again) in the US [Delivery from US Manufacturer to Overseas] Conspiracy Theories 13
MikeG Unreported Abuse of US Troops Conspiracy Theories 0
MikeG FBI Spying on School Children Conspiracy Theories 0
Mick West Explained: Why Clouds Appear Behind the Sun and Moon Flat Earth 58
CeruleanBlu Project scientist Eric Korpela talks about SETI, aliens, and government conspiracies. UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
derrick06 Debunked: HAARP ELF waves causing a earthquake Contrails and Chemtrails 12
vooke Need debunking:Ebola conspiracies video Conspiracy Theories 10
MikeC Lorde conspiracies General Discussion 21
BlueCollarCritic Debunked Conspiracies Update - The Government Is Not Confiscating Guns General Discussion 18
Cairenn Washington Post Blog on weather conspiracies Contrails and Chemtrails 11
AluminumTheory Zimmerman Trial Conspiracies..... Conspiracy Theories 12
jvnk08 Chomsky dispels 9/11 conspiracies with sheer logic [video] 9/11 385
Cairenn Pres Kennedy on conspiracies Conspiracy Theories 0
B Backpack conspiracies Boston Marathon Bombings 1
Cairenn Debunked: Gulf of Mexico oil spill conspiracies Conspiracy Theories 22
Dan Wilson Why do people believe conspiracies? General Discussion 86
Mick West Election Conspiracies Conspiracy Theories 52
Giuliano Taverna satanic cults/conspiracies Conspiracy Theories 7
Related Articles

Related Articles