Changing server software

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I'm experimenting with changing from Apache/Varnish to Nginx. The changeover seems to have gone quite smoothly, however it's possible that something might be broken.

Please let me know if you notice any changes, good or bad.

I have also replaced MySQL with Percona, which was surprisingly easy.

You may have noticed brief outages earlier, I think I'm done with that now.

The end result should be a much more responsive website.

I couldn't assign multiple links to different sections of a message just now - when I tried putting a 2nd one in it got rid of the first one, a 3rd one got rid of the 2nd one - it took me 5 minutes to spot the pattern!!:oops:

I couldn't assign multiple links to different sections of a message just now - when I tried putting a 2nd one in it got rid of the first one, a 3rd one got rid of the 2nd one - it took me 5 minutes to spot the pattern!!:oops:

I don't think that's related to the new stuff. Sounds like something was unbalanced within the message. Sometimes you have to go in and edit the BB code to fix things like that.
Changing server software | Metabunk 2013-11-18 16-15-54.jpg

So all seems to be well. Since there's less load on the server I've removed the caching front-end CloudFlare. This seems to have also made a significant improvement in responsiveness, and is one less thing to fail.

Site visitor traffic is quite high at the moment, and yet it feels faster than it's ever been.

I might do some occasional experiments over the next few days. I'll try to keep any outages in the sub 30-second range, if at all.

Back