Car disappears into thin air on CCTV, just editing trick?

ParanoidSkeptic2

I came across this video of a car allegedly "disappearing" into thin air on a motorway. I know not too much about editing, I'm not an expert, but just wanted to clarify how simple/difficult would it actually be to remove a car from footage like this?

Also, just wanted to confirm that this is most likely an editing trick and not something supernatural haha.

Source: https://youtu.be/sPeLeVCMhDg

The car comes into frame at 00:09 and vanishes at around 00:13, when it vanishes some sort of dust particle looking thing actually covers the car until it's no longer there. That's already suspicious enough but just wanted to get some additional opinions as well as clarification on how difficult would it be to have done something like this.

Trivial compositing. I presume the car that disappears was filmed just before or after the clip into which it was composited. The car interacts with (occludes or is occluded by) nothing that's moving, so it's a simple paste (or "clone") to put bits of one into the other.
C.f. 362s-382s in /A Trip to the Moon/ (1902):
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLVChRVfZ74
, where the moon (with or without rocket) and the "clouds" never occlude each other. (OK, that's simpler, as the shared background is matt black, rather than a road surface with detail, but the principle's the same.)

I came across this video of a car allegedly "disappearing" into thin air on a motorway. I know not too much about editing, I'm not an expert, but just wanted to clarify how simple/difficult would it actually be to remove a car from footage like this?

Also, just wanted to confirm that this is most likely an editing trick and not something supernatural haha.

Source: https://youtu.be/sPeLeVCMhDg

The car comes into frame at 00:09 and vanishes at around 00:13, when it vanishes some sort of dust particle looking thing actually covers the car until it's no longer there. That's already suspicious enough but just wanted to get some additional opinions as well as clarification on how difficult would it be to have done something like this.

This could literally be done in less than 5 minutes in After Effects.

I was just discussing this with my g/f, how *I*, on *this machine*, would do it. Where this machine is a tremendously underpowered fag-packet-sized box with not many bites, and even fewer hurts, and no video manipulation tools of worth. I'm basically where the average PC user was ~20 years ago. Using ffmpeg to split it into frames, and display magick to perform the cloning, and ffmpeg to stitch it back together, I reckon I could get it down to about 30 minutes.

Shame on you for only being 6 times quicker! :)

There's a lot more that can be done with such traffic cam videos:

More interesting than hawking some greek blog site, too...

I feel it's worth quoting the video's description on youtube:

A CCTV highway camera captures a bizarre moment featuring a speeding car disappearing without a trace. Most of us aren't experts, but it's probably safe to say that some editing was involved in this clip! This video surfaced a couple days ago. Probably the result of editing but this is ATS so have at it. Sometimes I wonder how many, too good to be true, "it must be Photoshopped.", are actually the real deal...
So the channel isn't really claiming that the video is real.

Back