Best recorded UFO sighting

ManInBlack

Simple question, what is the best recorded UFO sighting?

Does it have...

- Physical Evidence?
- Radar data?
- An image/s or video/s?
- Eye witness testimony?

Does it have...

- Physical Evidence?
- Radar data?
- An image/s or video/s?
- Eye witness testimony?
If the "best" sighting has to meet all four criteria, there are pretty slim pickings out there. Physical evidence cases in particular are relatively rare, and even then that physical evidence is usually explainable.

Back about 25 years ago, a Stanford University professor emeritus of Applied Physics (Dr Peter Sturrock) wrote a book dealing specifically with physical evidence cases. Rather than rely again on my memory of something I read that long ago, I'll just provide the following links/brief bio to allow anyone interested to find/read the book.

UFO Enigma: A New Review of the Physical Evidence​

https://www.amazon.com/UFO-Enigma-Review-Physical-Evidence/dp/0446525650

Peter Andrew Sturrock (born 20 March 1924) is a British scientist.[1] An emeritus professor of applied physics at Stanford University,[2] much of Sturrock's career has been devoted to astrophysics, plasma physics, and solar physics, but Sturrock is interested in other fields, including ufology, scientific inference, the history of science, and the philosophy of science. Sturrock has been awarded many prizes and honors, and has written or co-authored many scientific papers and textbooks.
Content from External Source
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_A._Sturrock

Last edited:
- Physical Evidence?
- Radar data?
- An image/s or video/s?
- Eye witness testimony?

Ideally it would have all 4 elements listed. BUT I think we'll find that in most cases if one has all 4 elements in sufficient quantity and quality the sighting is explained and thus not Unidentified.

Many classic cases claim to have all 4 or 3 out 4 elements, but upon closer scrutiny they really don't. The Rendlesham Forest case is a good example. When presented as a UFO case it supposedly has radar tracking, multiple witnesses, landing marks and scars on the trees as well as anomalous radiation readings. Later versions add lost time, secret binary codes and more.

But when examined more closely, little of it holds up. Some witnesses did see a very bright meteor the one night. Most of the witnesses saw a light house through the trees. Radar was largely about something else. The "landing site" was rabbit diggings and the tree scars were forester markings. The guy using the radiation detector didn't know how to use it. And so on.

So, the bigger question is, in which cases is there reliable evidence for the elements listed above, yet it remains Unidentified?

So, the bigger question is, in which cases is there reliable evidence for the elements listed above, yet it remains Unidentified?
youshould watch the new UFO Cowboys on Roku channel. I haven't seen them use radar yet (they have horses not planes), but when i tell you "they BRING the evidence", they BRING the evidence. everything (including abductions) they managed to catch on film. They rock!

youshould watch the new UFO Cowboys on Roku channel. I haven't seen them use radar yet (they have horses not planes), but when i tell you "they BRING the evidence", they BRING the evidence. everything (including abductions) they managed to catch on film. They rock!

Really?! Sounds like they may be pulling one's lariat. I have a Roku box on my shop TV, so I'll have to check it out.

Does it have...

- Physical Evidence?
- Radar data?
- An image/s or video/s?
- Eye witness testimony?

The Highland, Illinois case of January 2000 had multiple witnesses, including half a dozen police officers, one of whom took a ( not very good ) photograph, and I think was detected on radar too.

And was almost certainly an advertising blimp. I think there was an entire thread on the case on this forum....but I can't find it.

The Highland, Illinois case of January 2000 had multiple witnesses, including half a dozen police officers, one of whom took a ( not very good ) photograph, and I think was detected on radar too.

And was almost certainly an advertising blimp. I think there was an entire thread on the case on this forum....but I can't find it.
I wasn't familiar with this case, but here's an extensive article that describes both similarities and differences between various reports, and mentions a blimp as a possibility. It includes a link to a video documentary (that I have not watched yet).
Melvern Noll, the miniature golf course owner, described “a flying house with windows in the top and bottom.” This is starkly different than the descriptions offered by law enforcement officials.

Officer Ed Barton in Lebanon, Illinois, at 4:21 am, described a triangular object, “longer than it was wide.” Barton estimated the altitude of the object as being between 1,000 and 1,500 feet. He described seeing three white lights and one red light. The object suddenly sped away, going eight miles in three seconds in the direction of Shiloh, Illinois. It is worth noting that in the original radio traffic recording, Barton describes how he was reaching into the squad car to grab his microphone. When he emerged, the object was far away. He did not actually see it accelerate at exotic speeds.

Shiloh Officer David Martin offered a roughly similar description at 4:23 am. He described it as being an “arrow shape, triangular-shaped object… floating in this sky over this field… with three big bright lights, lighting up the entire sky just beneath the flying object.” He put the altitude at 1,000 to 1,500 feet before the object moved to the far end of the fields “in the snap of a finger, the wink of an eye.”

At 4:39 am Millstadt Police Officer Craig Stevens reports that he has an object in sight. “It’s huge.” He describes it as an “arrowhead-shaped object.” Stevens describes the craft as having “three lights to the rear, one in the center and two to either side.” Stevens adds an additional detail, saying that it is “concaved in the rear” rather than a pure triangle. But he also says “in the concave section” there is a strobing white light going side to side. His drawing makes it clear it’s the rear of the craft, not the bottom. He further describes a “red blinking light” that is on the bottom.
https://thedebrief.org/the-st-clair-triangle-ufo-incident-of-2000-a-fresh-look/
Content from External Source

The radar coverage (or lack thereof) of the Illinois UFO sightings was one of the more controversial aspects of the incident. As I recall, Scott AFB told one of the police departments involved that they had no radar operational at the time, and therefore had no radar data relative to the incident. Various UFO enthusiasts have claimed the data existed, but was being withheld.

Also, I think there were only a couple fuzzy Polaroids taken by one of the responding officers.

The single (poor) photo is in the article I cited, above.
Thanks Ann. Sorry, I did not read the article when you initially posted the link, I'm not a fan of "The Debrief." I have now read it as I was looking for the Polaroid photo in the article. Seems they pretty much confirmed what I recollected about the lack of radar data. And I do remember having seen that photo.

early newspaper article (a few months after incident)

Article:
The Lebanon Advertiser, on the other hand, gave the story front-page, over-the-fold prominence in its Jan. 12 edition: "Huge UFO Is Reported to Have Flown Over Lebanon," blared the headline. The story's final paragraph noted that "the Federal Aviation Administration has suggested that the object may have been an advertising blimp."

Article:
Although the craft was near Scott Air Force Base -- practically invaded the airspace there -- officials deny any knowledge of a UFO near the base. Lt. Col. Allan Dahncke, 375th Airlift Wing public-affairs director, said in the Base News, "The (air-control) tower was closed at the time of the sighting and no aircraft were in the air." The base no longer has radar facilities on the field, adds Dahnke, but relies on the FAA radar approach system at Lambert Airport. Lambert reported that the object did not show up on its radar.

https://web.archive.org/web/2016081...es.com/stlouis/space-case/Content?oid=2474776

early newspaper article (a few months after incident)

Article: The Lebanon Advertiser, on the other hand, gave the story front-page, over-the-fold prominence in its Jan. 12 edition: "Huge UFO Is Reported to Have Flown Over Lebanon," blared the headline. The story's final paragraph noted that "the Federal Aviation Administration has suggested that the object may have been an advertising blimp."
OT: One of my very early memories (from about 1947, I think) was of playing outside after dark, then running in all excited and a bit scared because I saw words in the sky. My parents and their friends came out to see and laughed because it was a blimp with an advertising message scrolling on the display. (I'm basing the date on my age at the time, because since I don't remember what it said, I don't think I had learned to read yet.) The lighted sign was bright but the blimp itself did not show up at all in the night sky.

I now live right under the usual flight path of a blimp when it goes between Akron and Cleveland.

The most intriguing to me, at the moment, is the old Lake Cote UFO. There are several potential explanations for it, but to my mind none of them would easily cover the possible second image kasparovitch shared in Post #69.

I'll note that it is not a hugely compelling case, all things considered. But I am not aware of any that are very compelling, this one is at least, to me, interesting.

The most intriguing to me, at the moment, is the old Lake Cote UFO. There are several potential explanations for it, but to my mind none of them would easily cover the possible second image kasparovitch shared in Post #69.

I'll note that it is not a hugely compelling case, all things considered. But I am not aware of any that are very compelling, this one is at least, to me, interesting.
My feeling is alot about that case would be answered by seeing the physical artifacts from film to development.

If it's a plane or drone it is already identified.

What is sighting of a UFO that remains unexplained that has good quality data?
The 3 Navy videos are a good example of sightings that are explainable yet unidentified.
Which means they could show a regular aircraft or an alien visitor, we just don't know.
So if you use UFO for "unidentified flying object", they'd qualify (but you really should call that a UAP nowadays).
But if UFO means "flying saucer" or "alien spacecraft", we obviously don't have a single sighting that qualifies, because there is no sighting that can't be something conventional.

The Calvine photo is a nice clear-ish picture, but circumstances suggest strongly it's a hoax.

So it really depends on what exactly you're looking for, and why.

I don't remember a sighting for which public radar data exists, does anyone?

Some people believe 1I/ʻOumuamua is an alien craft; there's really no compelling evidence to support that claim (it's not maneuvering), but who's to say it's not a drifting wreck that accumulated a thick layer of space gunk on the outside? It is very well documented and definitely not man-made (though probably of natural origin).

Last edited:
The 1968 Minot AFB case. In short, a team of soldiers on the ground providing security in the missile silo field observed a glowing light that was later seen by other groups nearby. A B-52 was training in in the area and eventually got some odd returns on their radar of an object moving seemingly impossibly fast around them (also for good measure it caused their radios to malfunction). There's 14 images of the onboard radarscope at https://minotb52ufo.com - they look like this,

780.jpg

This sighting may also fit OP's question. There's nothing in the way of physical evidence or actual images but loads of eyewitness accounts, drawings, maps, radio transcripts... it's all on the site linked above.

The 3 Navy videos are a good example of sightings that are explainable yet unidentified.
Which means they could show a regular aircraft or an alien visitor, we just don't know.
So if you use UFO for "unidentified flying object", they'd qualify (but you really should call that a UAP nowadays).
But if UFO means "flying saucer" or "alien spacecraft", we obviously don't have a single sighting that qualifies, because there is no sighting that can't be something conventional.

The Calvine photo is a nice clear-ish picture, but circumstances suggest strongly it's a hoax.

So it really depends on what exactly you're looking for, and why.

Some people believe 1I/ʻOumuamua is an alien craft; there's really no compelling evidence to support that claim (it's not maneuvering), but who's to say it's not a drifting wreck that accumulated a thick layer of space gunk on the outside? It is very well documented and definitely not man-made (though probably of natural origin).
UFO means 'unidentified flying object', 'flying saucer' or 'alien spacecraft' is science fiction.

The navy videos aren't all that compelling, grainy video with limited FLIR data etc. There is some witness testimony but not directly from those who took the videos. There is also no radar data that I'm aware of.

The Calvin photo is simply that, just a photo, it doesn't have any corroberating data.

Oumuamua is still technically unidentified.

There is a case called the Lake Michigan UFO March 8, 1994, apparently that had radar data from the National Weather Service?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Michigan_UFO_event

Last edited:
There is a case called the Lake Michigan UFO March 8, 1994, apparently that had radar data from the National Weather Service?
they had a weather man tell us what he was seeing on radar. and allegedly he later drew some pics of the radar.

It's one of the shortest threads on MB..so i'm guessing if there was "best evidence" people would have looked at it a bit more. Even your wiki page is like 6 sentences long!
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/1994-michigan-ufo-event.12709/

UFO means 'unidentified flying object', 'flying saucer' or 'alien spacecraft' is science fiction.
To "Devil's Advocate" a bit, it can be argued that words mean what people mostly use them to mean, and word meanings change as their usage changes. In that sense, UFO pretty much means "flying saucer" now -- thus the debate among those who discuss these things about whether this sighting or that was a "real UFO." That's part of why UAP was adopted by the military, so you can report seeing something out of place in your airspace without seeming to your pals to be seeing flying saucers.

Of course the UFO fans are quickly co-opting UAP to mean "flying saucer" too, seems to me. Wonder what the next term will be to try to detach "I don't know what it was" from "I'm not saying it was aliens...but it was aliens."

To "Devil's Advocate" a bit, it can be argued that words mean what people mostly use them to mean, and word meanings change as their usage changes. In that sense, UFO pretty much means "flying saucer" now -- thus the debate among those who discuss these things about whether this sighting or that was a "real UFO." That's part of why UAP was adopted by the military, so you can report seeing something out of place in your airspace without seeming to your pals to be seeing flying saucers.

Of course the UFO fans are quickly co-opting UAP to mean "flying saucer" too, seems to me. Wonder what the next term will be to try to detach "I don't know what it was" from "I'm not saying it was aliens...but it was aliens."
'UFO fans' this must be an American thing.

What term would you use @JMartJr ?

Some of us have already been chided for using the term "true believers". Apart from using a long and cumbersome descriptive phrase such as "people who are convinced that alien visitors are flying around in our skies, and get very upset when their belief is challenged" multiple times in a short post, what short name should we agree upon?

Some of us have already been chided for using the term "true believers". Apart from using a long and cumbersome descriptive phrase such as "people who are convinced that alien visitors are flying around in our skies, and get very upset when their belief is challenged" multiple times in a short post, what short name should we agree upon?
It needs to not sound negative, as it should be used as a neutral descriptor, not an insult. It should also not sound as if they are merely members of some organised collective, it must be a plurality of individuals. "True believers" doesn't really pass either of those tests particularly well.

Saucerers?

It needs to not sound negative, as it should be used as a neutral descriptor, not an insult. It should also not sound as if they are merely members of some organised collective, it must be a plurality of individuals. "True believers" doesn't really pass either of those tests particularly well.

Saucerers?
Do they engage in Saucery then?

I feel he is using that term in that particular context because he is not talking about all people who believe in UFOs. hes referring (based on context) to the excited people on the internet who talk about.
It's like transgenderism (or conservatives), the vast majority are just living their lives and shouldnt be judged by what the media and internet is portraying them as. Jeremy Corbell and George Knapp don't represent the average ETufo believer.

Last edited:

Saucerers?
UFO fans is neutral, not an insult, but it doesn't distinguish between people convinced of extraterrestrial invasion (which are the ones to which the term "true believers" is normally applied), people who automatically think "UFO" at every unexpected light in the sky and think they've seen one before or hope to see one in the future (I think those would be what is often called "UFOlogists") and those of us on Metabunk who follow the threads. "UFO followers" could refer to avid viewers of the discussion, or to the alien support team streaming from the mothership, or to the human pilots who want to chase them.

OK, wordiness it is, unless there are better terms. Or saucerers, which spell check wants to turn into "saucer ears". :)

OK, wordiness it is, unless there are better terms
i think "true believers" is fine if you are referring to true believers vs ufo supporters who are not sure. the 9/11 Truthers NAMED THEMSELVES 9/11 Truthers and yet some people complained if you used the term "911 Truther". Point is, no matter what term anyone uses, someone wont like it.

saucerers of course is just rude.

Wonder what the next term will be to try to detach "I don't know what it was" from "I'm not saying it was aliens...but it was aliens."

We're already seeing NHI....non-human intelligence. Which is a bit baffling as a crow exhibits NHI. Maybe UFOs...sorry, UAPS...are piloted by crows.

That's not true. If nobody'd think it's an alien spacecraft, your unidentified object is no UFO.
(I looked up some dictionaries, and it makes sense.)

I'm not sure I've heard it used before, though maybe. I think it's just me trying out descriptives.

As a term for UFOs, I think it's a fight that can't be won. ANY term used to refer to unidentified objects as opposed to presumed space ships (or inter-dimensional beings or demons or whatever) will be immediately co-opted by those who believe in such things.

As a term for people who "want to believe" that any and every UFO/UAP report is true and probably aliens or something, "true believer" seems descriptive and accurate.

If I asked this on Twitter, I would probably get 20+ different answers. Everyone seems to have a favorite.

Back