Best recorded UFO sighting

You can plaster your bedroom wall with the lyrics to different "True Believer" songs. It doesn't sound much like an insult to me.
I'd rather plaster my bedroom walls with the lyrics to different "The Cult" songs. That doesn't make it not sound a bit like an insult.

Of course, any term adopted to sound neutral can be coopted as an insult, which alas is something that several oft-insulted sectors of the population haven't learnt yet. An infinite game of Whac-a-Mole is never won.

Of course, any term adopted to sound neutral can be coopted as an insult
I don't think there's any animal name that hasn't at one time or another been used as an insult and a term of endearment.

Ultimately, it's up to the true believers to say whether they feel insulted being called that.
It's not inherently an insult.

i think "true believers" is fine if you are referring to true believers vs ufo supporters who are not sure. the 9/11 Truthers NAMED THEMSELVES 9/11 Truthers and yet some people complained if you used the term "911 Truther". Point is, no matter what term anyone uses, someone wont like it.

saucerers of course is just rude.
True believers sounds like religious cult member, is this what you mean?

What would you call people who take on an objective view, who have seen something they do not understand but are guided by science, facts, evidence...?

True believers sounds like religious cult member, is this what you mean?

What would you call people who take on an objective view, who have seen something they do not understand but are guided by science, facts, evidence...?
To me True Believers are very similar to religious persons that do not need evidence to prove their faith. Cult or not.
They do not need physical proof, as they do not feel that to be very important. It is a mindset I cannot relate to, but it exists.

true believers sounds like religious cult member, is this what you mean?

no. i mean believers who truly believe in UFOs.
i think "true believers" is fine if you are referring to true believers vs ufo supporters who are not sure.

We need to use words. At least they aren't called sandy hookers, which i imagine a few might feel is an insulting term.

no. i mean believers who truly believe in UFOs.

We need to use words. At least they aren't called sandy hookers, which i imagine a few might feel is an insulting term.
I have some 'googling' so you a referring to individuals who attend those alien conferences, watch 'Ancient Aliens' and obsess over the topic. Wouldn't this be minority? (maybe not in America but elsewhere?).

As above, what would you call people who take on an objective view, who have seen something they do not understand but are guided by science, facts, evidence...and that are not what you call 'true believers'?

so you a referring to individuals who attend those alien conferences, watch 'Ancient Aliens' and obsess over the topic

no. for the third time, i am referring to people who truly believe in UFOs. I truly believe in God but i don't watch the christian channels, or attend those weekend retreat things some go on or obsess over the topic.

As above, what would you call people who take on an objective view, who have seen something they do not understand but are guided by science, facts, evidence...and that are not what you call 'true believers'?
are you objective and guided by science, facts, evidence AND truly believe in UFOs? Then i'd call you a true believer.

Please stop putting words in my mouth.
If you are ashamed to be associated with the 'fanatics', then i feel for you. But there fanatics in every group and we all just have to deal with it. You think i'm happy Trump calls himself a Republican? or Boebart? etc

That's life.

no. for the third time, i am referring to people who truly believe in UFOs. I truly believe in God but i don't watch the christian channels, or attend those weekend retreat things some go on or obsess over the topic.

are you objective and guided by science, facts, evidence AND truly believe in UFOs? Then i'd call you a true believer.

Please stop putting words in my mouth.
If you are ashamed to be associated with the 'fanatics', then i feel for you. But there fanatics in every group and we all just have to deal with it. You think i'm happy Trump calls himself a Republican? or Boebart? etc

That's life.
Just asking questions to understand. I'm new to all this and from a country outside of the USA, I find it fascinating and peculiar. This topic seems to be polarising in the USA.

To me, "true believers" are those who see every sighting as an alien vessel. They believe first, and it's very difficult to persuade them otherwise with evidence. When presented with facts, they are likely to think you're covering up "the truth".

Skeptics are the ones who say "Show me the evidence".

To me, "true believers" are those who see every sighting as an alien vessel. They believe first, and it's very difficult to persuade them otherwise with evidence. When presented with facts, they are likely to think you're covering up "the truth".

Skeptics are the ones who say "Show me the evidence".
That's a great way of putting it @Ann K. Going from...'that's a weird object in the sky' to that is an 'Alien spacecraft', huge leap!

'Those people' tend to have a predetermined view. To call something a 'Alien spacecraft' without any evidence to back it up is not the right approach. It is important to keep an open mind but like with any discovery, you need to rule out all conventional explanations and go through a scientific method/process.

This is sometimes hard to distinguish, as most conspiracy theory believers (of which ufo believers is a subset) justify their belief with evidence and pseudoscience. Metabunk exists to debunk that evidence, to show it doesn't quite do what the believers want it to do.

I learned that lesson in school, ironically not in a science class. We were analysing short stories, the teacher would guide the class to interpret the story, and then I'd raise my hand and go, "but couldn't it be something totally different?" And I had found a few quotes supporting my analysis, too! The teacher would then draw my attention to the parts of the story that contradicted my reading of it. It made me realize that to understand an author, you have to find out where that story, in its entirety, is leading you, otherwise you're mistaking the author's intent.

So a lot of what we do at metabunk is to restore the context of a sighting, to add data, and to discover interpretations that fit the observation more closely and with greater likelihood than what the observer first thought.

There's no shame in thinking, "hey, could this be a UFO?" But it's going down the rabbit hole if you avoid the process of looking for more mundane phenomena that would explain it, and to not accept that "hey, this could be something common after all". Which, to be fair, is something that should always be on the table with the "small moving dot" sightings, once the excitement wears off.

When you see people who thwart this process by withholding data/evidence that wouldn't fit their narrative of mystery, you can be sure that they're true believers, or that they're cultivating them.

Just asking questions to understand. I'm new to all this and from a country outside of the USA, I find it fascinating and peculiar. This topic seems to be polarising in the USA.

Everything seems to be polarizing in the USA. At least as far as life online. Academic and intellectual conversations, have been replaced by the Jerry Springer mentality.

I didnt realize Anne's intent with the phrase when i said:
i think "true believers" is fine if you are referring to true believers vs ufo supporters who are not sure.

i was going off her first definition given:
"people who are convinced that alien visitors are flying around in our skies, and get very upset when their belief is challenged"

But if the majority of MBers are using the term to mean other things, then i withdraw my original statement.

I'm terrible with words/language but IMO
Believer ain't the best as it conveys something else, ideologue is closer but there's prolly an even closer word than that?

Back