BBC - Longer flights to curb vapour trails

What about the pollution from the sulphur content? The airline industry has yet to come into line with the land and marine based industries for low-sulphur fuels.

I am not familiar with the sulfur content in Jet-A (the most commonly used jet fuel).

I think (at least, here in the U.S., amongst the most nonsensical "Talking Heads" ...usually Republican 'leaders') the issue of CO2 is down-played. One called it "Plant food". Jon Stewart, of "The Daily Show, with Jon Stewart" called it quite clearly, last week.

I don't think anyone is arguing that nature can not do what mankind can do as far as visible phenomena. The argument is when do we humans consider something out of place or out of acceptable bounds. Like when are blooming weeds, weeds and when are they wild flowers? When do we call something trash, visible pollution, and so forth as opposed to acceptable side effects of technology, transportation, manufacturing, etc? I would say people have different thresholds for such determinations. I would also say that too many persistent contrails fall above my threshold.

I just disagree. Clouds are clouds.

Weeds are weeds. It's just a natural occurrence.

The spreadsheet has a number of examples which are quite interesting. However CO2 is still classed as a pollutant. What about the pollution from the sulphur content? The airline industry has yet to come into line with the land and marine based industries for low-sulphur fuels. While there may well be more cars etc at ground level aircraft stiil give off a higher rate of pollution than them, and there are less polluting ways to travel.
As far as I know acceptable aircraft emissions allow up to 3,000 ppm of sulfur in the fuel while sulfur content in ground based diesel fuel is in the double digits .

U.S. 2012 Petroleum Consumption and Associated Sulfur Emissions
Content from External Source
http://theenergycollective.com/jemi...lfur-reduction-standard-development-misguided

Last edited:
1 or 2 are not ugly but a complete whiteout is quite ugly .

Why?

I'm sorry, but "WHY" again....because, it is NATURE (sometimes) that will result in a total overcast sky. This is documented WAY before airplanes were invented!

Also....next time you might wish to "whinge" about a cloudy sky, please take the effort to understand (perhaps a college course in meteorology??) the nature of the clouds that may be 'blocking the Sun'.

A) "Are they low clouds, or high clouds?);
B) "What time of day is it? (Morning or Evening)...ETC.

Why?

I'm sorry, but "WHY" again....because, it is NATURE (sometimes) that will result in a total overcast sky. This is documented WAY before airplanes were invented!

Also....next time you might wish to "whinge" about a cloudy sky, please take the effort to understand (perhaps a college course in meteorology??) the nature of the clouds that may be 'blocking the Sun'.

It is true cirrus cloud bank blooms may or may not be triggered by a persistent contrail/s and low level cloud cover never is; however, long haul aviation creates/mediates persistent contrails and sometimes they are very numerous and persistent even when natural cirrus clouds are minimal or don't form at all.

Why?

I know more now about clouds and contrails and their effect then I need to know . They are ugly and unnatural . I don't believe that air travel is a luxury. Everyone of those contrails is pollution .

It is true cirrus cloud bank blooms may or may not be triggered by a persistent contrail/s and low level cloud cover never is; however, long haul aviation creates/mediates persistent contrails and sometimes they are very numerous and persistent even when natural cirrus clouds are minimal or don't form at all.

Airliners DO trigger contrail formation, true. These contrails are (basically) ordinary cirrus-type clouds.

MY point is....this is a BIG planet (Earth). I already added a link to a video (was it in this thread??? Can't recall....here it is again:
"An Idiot Abroad, Series 2 Episode 4".

IN that episode ( ^^^ ) when Karl Pilkington is well up north, in Alaska, at Point Barrow....there are obvious cirrus clouds in the shots. These were not "inserted" digitally....they are naturally-occurring clouds.

It is, just nature.

Everyone of those contrails is pollution .

No, "Joe"...they are NOT "pollution".

(ALSO....off-topic, but really when writing a sentence, the "full-stop"...also called a "period"...is meant to be placed at the end of the sentence. No extra space, please. I know, this is nit-picking, but it bugs me. Like, the other day I saw a sign outside my local "Rite-Aid" chain drugstore that was printed as: "We our now open 24 hours for your convenience".

Yeah....the "our" was on the sign, instead of the proper verb "ARE"....or, "are"...)

BECAUSE, all contrails are merely a type of cloud.

IF you want some "pollution", go stand behind an idling motorcycle....get your head near the exhaust. THEN, multiply THAT times several billion (to include all of the cars and trucks that are ALSO down here, on the ground, where you BREATHE the air!!!

(ALSO....off-topic, but really when writing a sentence, the "full-stop"...also called a "period"...is meant to be placed at the end of the sentence. No extra space, please. I know, this is nit-picking, but it bugs me. Like, the other day I saw a sign outside my local "Rite-Aid" chain drugstore that was printed as: "We our now open 24 hours for your convenience".

Yeah....the "our" was on the sign, instead of the proper verb "ARE"....or, "are"...)
Yea that is nit picking................................................................... :) Exhaust is pollution. How is that cloud formed ? around particulate coming from the exhaust . Its not a steam engine . The ice crystals do need a nuclei to form a cloud ? right ?

But the exhaust is there regardless of if the contrail is there.

I edited....because, yes in ALL cases when an engine is burning a fossil fuel, there is exhaust. Sometimes it smells bad.

Still, the "point" is that IN CONDITIONS ALOFT this exhaust, and its components, can create clouds....AKA, contrails. That is the essence of it, it's the science, and that is it. Period.

(I only wish that many who have fallen into the "chem"trail myth of 'conspiracy' could understand this).

I beg to differ. A pollutant is something that is introduced into the natural environment that causes an adverse effect. In the context of this thread that certainly is a contrail. A pollutant does not necessarily have to be a chemical and can be a natural compound (or even heat).

When an Environmental Impact Assessment is performed for a power station fog clouds from the cooling towers are classed as pollutants even though they are chemically benign.

But the exhaust is there regardless of if the contrail is there.
I edited....because, yes in ALL cases when an engine is burning a fossil fuel, there is exhaust. Sometimes it smells bad.

Still, the "point" is that IN CONDITIONS ALOFT this exhaust, and its components, can create clouds....AKA, contrails. That is the essence of it, it's the science, and that is it. Period.

(I only wish that many who have fallen into the "chem"trail myth of 'conspiracy' could understand this).
Once they perfect this then contrails will no longer be a problem .

I beg to differ. A pollutant is something that is introduced into the natural environment that causes an adverse effect. In the context of this thread that certainly is a contrail. A pollutant does not necessarily have to be a chemical and can be a natural compound (or even heat).

When an Environmental Impact Assessment is performed for a power station fog clouds from the cooling towers are classed as pollutants even though they are chemically benign.
So water vapor is a pollutant ? Wow that is crazy .

OK....but that is a reference to phenomenon that is (A) Technologically induced and (B) AT the surface of the planet.

Perhaps to review the (NON)-impact of contrails, this short video:

Once they perfect this then contrails will no longer be a problem .

Meant as a joke? Ok.....then.......

Look....I've orbited the Sun a number of times, and have built a LOT of scale model airplanes, including those powered by rubber bands.

SINCE then I have become adept at building scale R/C airplanes, as well as ARFs ("ARF" = Almost Ready to Fly) kits. (Not really "kits", the ARFs...just assemble them....)....

I also build in styrene, mostly 1/48 and 1/32 scale, and I enjoy HO model railroading. (1/87 scale).

Next project is going to be a 1/2 "Studio Scale" NCC-1701 Starship "Enterprise" (Re-Fit) from scratch. This was done for the TOS Enterprise, by a bloke here in SoCal:
https://steveneill.wordpress.com/tag/66-inch-scratch-built-enterprise/

I liked his skills, and wish to follow (for my own amusement) upon his efforts. It's a hobby, after all...there is satisfaction in the outcome.

Last edited:
OK....but that is a reference to phenomenon that is (A) Technologically induced and (B) AT the surface of the planet.

ha ha They had Micks site made it seem like its a chemtrail site :) @ 2:29

Heres to shooting the messager of that video
Brian Dunning is fairly prominent amongst skeptics for his podcast, Skeptoid. He’s prominent amongst FBI agents for his conviction for wire fraud. (The case has been ongoing since 2011, but Dunning’s sentencing is April 28, 2014.) For those who are unfamiliar with the skeptical community, it is based in large part on exposing frauds, so this criminal’s continued popularity with skeptics is a fascinating study in human nature.
Content from External Source
http://skepchick.org/2014/02/the-worst-thing-brian-dunning-has-done-for-skepticism/

I know more now about clouds and contrails and their effect then I need to know
OT- lol. Saturday I saw (except for aerodynamic contrails and uniclar? clouds) Every single plane and cloud phenomenon discussed on Metabunk in one afternoon! a sun halo and rainbow clouds incl! low planes with no contrails, med. planes with regular contrails persistant contrails blowing across the sky (and they really DO stay parallel and in totally straight lines). They were cool cause I had my friends cracking up as I pointed out cloud types etc. except yes the contrails are ugly generally unless they feather out.

Nope. It did NOT make Mick's site appear as a "chemtrail site".

I think you should watch again. Really. There seems to be a cognitive disconnect here....

It kind of did, as it was bookended by chemtrail sites. The VO was about discussion of chemtrails - but it did not make it clear that it was more than just the believers discussing.

Nope. It did NOT make Mick's site appear as a "chemtrail site".

I think you should watch again. Really. There seems to be a cognitive disconnect here....
He didn't say it was a debunking site and put it second between all the other chemtrail sites . Watched it 3 times . Id be pissed and ask him to remove it .

Hmmmmm, non-impact? They never addressed the potential of persistent contrails to effect global warming.

There are 3 main greenhouse gases carbon dioxide, methane and water vapour. So in the context of climate change water vapour is a pollutant.
Disagree!

No, in the context of anthropomorphic climate change, water vapour is not a pollutant in the same way that CO2 is.
We (human civilisation) are not tapping into a vast and ancient reservoir of water, that has been locked out of the water cycle for millennia, and introducing it into the current water cycle. That is not what's happening.

Water vapour just happens to be one of the 3 important greenhouse gases.
Water has a relatively short life time in the in the atmosphere - 9 days, whereas CO2's life time is estimated at 30 to 95 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas#Atmospheric_lifetime

They never addressed the potential of persistent contrails to effect global warming.

Actually, I believe this has been discussed before. I think there is a MetaBunk thread on it too...(I will search).

But in general terms....absent any of the many 'talking heads" on the subject....seriously, a few hours looking at historical weather satellite images, since weather satellites were first lofted (late 1960s? 1970s??) compared to today. I will bet that a thorough comparison will reveal NO siginificant changes in over-all cloud coverage, in the last 40-50 years.

Actually, I believe this has been discussed before. I think there is a MetaBunk thread on it too...(I will search).

But in general terms....absent any of the many 'talking heads" on the subject....seriously, a few hours looking at historical weather satellite images, since weather satellites were first lofted (late 1960s? 1970s??) compared to today. I will bet that a thorough comparison will reveal NO siginificant changes in over-all cloud coverage, in the last 40-50 years.
I don't think one can easily quantitate the relative amount of Cirrus Clouds and Cirrus Cloud Banks from other cloud cover. Never-the-less, I think NASA and IPCC have both published papers/studies addressing a concern on the future impact based on the expected increase in persistent contrail and contrail induced cirrus.

http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/sres/aviation/007.htm

I don't think one can easily quantitate the relative amount of Cirrus Clouds and Cirrus Cloud Banks from other cloud cover. Never-the-less, I think NASA and IPCC have both published papers/studies addressing a concern on the future impact based on the expected increase in persistent contrail and contrail induced cirrus.

http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/sres/aviation/007.htm

Actually, section 4.5 is PERFECT to dispute the (rather un-scientific) claims that modern Turbo-Fan jet engines cannot produce contrails.

But again, I will say....there are SO MANY AREAS of this globe, the Earth, that we live on that are NOT "covered" with High-Altitude Jet Air-Routes (or, Jet Airways).

ALSO, as I (think) I've already linked....a video made by SKY1 in BARROW, ALASKA...not a typical place that many airliners overfly, showing NORMAL and extensive cirrus cloud coverage.

I'd suggest a quick perusal, online, also of numerous photos that exist from Antarctica....showing that sky. I think it's agreed that there are NO regularly scheduled airline routes that traverse the continent of Antarctica?

Actually, section 4.5 is PERFECT to dispute the (rather un-scientific) claims that modern Turbo-Fan jet engines cannot produce contrails.

But again, I will say....there are SO MANY AREAS of this globe, the Earth, that we live on that are NOT "covered" with High-Altitude Jet Air-Routes (or, Jet Airways).

ALSO, as I (think) I've already linked....a video made by SKY1 in BARROW, ALASKA...not a typical place that many airliners overfly, showing NORMAL and extensive cirrus cloud coverage.

I'd suggest a quick perusal, online, also of numerous photos that exist from Antarctica....showing that sky. I think it's agreed that there are NO regularly scheduled airline routes that traverse the continent of Antarctica?
Normal cirrus cloud formation is not the issue. The issue is the possible and probable increase of cirrus clouds and cloud banks because of an increase in aviation. If you can make the argument that aviation has not increased the incidence of cirrus clouds and cloud banks then I would agree with you.

Normal cirrus cloud formation is not the issue. The issue is the possible and probable increase of cirrus clouds and cloud banks because of an increase in aviation. If you can make the argument that aviation has not increased the incidence of cirrus clouds and cloud banks then I would agree with you.

Again....yes it is true that the aspect of high altitude airliners HAVE contributed to an "artificial" creation of cirrus-type clouds.

But, I'd argue that this is minimal, at best....in the OVERALL surface area of this planet.

Usually these events (contrails, formed due to airliners, that MIGHT evolve into extensive high-altitude cirrus) are LOCAL in their nature.

Seems counter-intuitive perhaps, but......when you've had a career flying airplanes at 450 to 480 knots around the world, you realize just how BIG this planet is. I can only kiss the knees of Astronauts, who have an even BETTER perspective.

BUT.....from a "groundling's" view......yeah, this is WHY the "chem"trail myth and Urban Legend is able to flourish.

Please see my response. I hope it will be available for all to read, in weeks, months and years hence.

Again....yes it is true that the aspect of high altitude airliners HAVE contributed to an "artificial" creation of cirrus-type clouds.

But, I'd argue that this is minimal, at best....in the OVERALL surface area of this planet.

Usually these events (contrails, formed due to airliners, that MIGHT evolve into extensive high-altitude cirrus) are LOCAL in their nature.

Seems counter-intuitive perhaps, but......when you've had a career flying airplanes at 450 to 480 knots around the world, you realize just how BIG this planet is. I can only kiss the knees of Astronauts, who have an even BETTER perspective.

BUT.....from a "groundling's" view......yeah, this is WHY the "chem"trail myth and Urban Legend is able to flourish.
Hence your argument is the cirrus increase is trivial and insignificant because of their short duration of clouds and the enormity of the atmosphere and surface area of the earth that could be affected. Seems similar arguments can and have been made regarding polluting the ocean or fresh water supply. The dilution factor and pollution half-life alone will take care of the problem so don't make a big deal out of small contributions. At first this was the theory even amongst scientists; however, me thinks these arguments are losing traction and will not persist as pollution, warming and CO2 concentrations continue to rise.

Last edited:
The effects of pollution remain because the pollution itself continues to exist - even if diluted.

Any effect of a contrail ceases once it disappears.

The effects of pollution remain because the pollution itself continues to exist - even if diluted.

Any effect of a contrail ceases once it disappears.
And likewise, the increase in aviation and a higher probability of cirrus clouds do not disappear -they continue to exist; unless, of course, aviation is curtailed or mitigation practices are engaged in.

Hence your argument is the cirrus increase is trivial and insignificant because of their short duration of clouds and the enormity of the atmosphere and surface area of the earth that could be affected. Seems similar arguments can and have been made regarding polluting the ocean or fresh water supply. The dilution factor and pollution half-life alone will take care of the problem so don't make a big deal out of small contributions. At first this was the theory even amongst scientists; however, me thinks these arguments are loosing traction and will not persist as pollution, warming and CO2 concentrations continue to rise.

OK...gotcha (an American idiom).

When the "TOTAL" volume of the Earth's atmosphere....the (breathable part) is taken into account....yeah, it looks bad. BUT, this planet that we live on is a self-sustaining biosphere....has been that way for 3 BILLION (+) years....at least. Maybe longer.

There may be some HORRIFIC events in the next century, RE: the effects of Human activity on the planet's climate. But....I always keep in mind the FACT that most events occur WELL beyond the lifespan on any individual...which is what, now? About 80 years?

This planet has been here for 3.8 BILLION years....and many species have come and gone.

IF we as a Human species, wish to survive and thrive, then we MUST explore away from this one planet. We are vulnerable, here.

Back