Apollo 12 photo analysis shows Sun as bulb [claim]

FlightMuj

Hello again!
At this website: http://www.aulis.com/jackstudies_0.html
I saw an image which claims that the alleged Sun shown is actually a light bulb:Claim.png

I am not an expert in analyzing photography so cannot say much, only that, the lens flares do not look like bulbs, I mean the photos that thousand of people take of the Sun shows the same lens flares.

I've seen a variation on this theme claiming that the sun was far too large in another Apollo 12 image (AS12-46-6739) when compared with similar photos taken on Earth. I altered the levels in it to produce this:

You can pretty much take anything claimed on the Aulis site with a dose of salt way in excess of your daily recommended amount.

FlightMuj

FlightMuj

What I see is that we and the conspirators get the same result when messing with the images, and with that same result they say it is some sort of artificial lightning and we say that it is the Sun.

FlightMuj

An impossibly big lightbulb.
I know that "impossibly big" thing, but he mentioned Earth. What does Earth have to do with the claim of "artificial lightning suggesting set in Apollo missions".

Also I said earlier:"Well that explains the lens flares, but would not "bulb" or any sort of lightning also create lens flares? I do not know much about photography so I cannot grasp the idea of a "bulb" and so cannot conclusively analyze."

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I know that "impossibly big" thing, but he mentioned Earth. What does Earth have to do with the claim of "artificial lightning suggesting set in Apollo missions".

Also I said earlier:"Well that explains the lens flares, but would not "bulb" or any sort of lightning also create lens flares? I do not know much about photography so I cannot grasp the idea of a "bulb" and so cannot conclusively analyze."
We deal with different levels of theories here. The OP is really about space flight photos and videos being staged on a set. But there are also people who think the sun itself is actually small and close. Some even going as far as a "Truman Show" scenario.

A bulb would create lens flare. The problem with this claim is that they don't actually compare the image to a bulb, or a very bright disk, or the sun. So they are just going with a vague impression of a modified photo. It's useless as evidence, and not really worth addressing.

Although that said, it can be fun to try to duplicate images like this.

FlightMuj

..and the Hi-Res picture, claimed to have been 'removed', is still there, as at 14 Jan 2018

Magazine 46 - https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a12/images12.html#Mag46

Individual Hi-Res pic - https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a12/AS12-46-6765HR.jpg
The conspirator was talking about this website: http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo_gallery.html.
I also cannot find that frame but also notice there are a lot of other frames missing. Not all are uploaded, so it is just not that frame.

FlightMuj

...A bulb would create lens flare. The problem with this claim is that they don't actually compare the image to a bulb, or a very bright disk, or the sun. So they are just going with a vague impression of a modified photo. It's useless as evidence, and not really worth addressing...

I strongly agree with this part. The images taken by people of Sun on a daily basis shows the same thing. You are right they really never compare that with the photo showing flares from a bulb. I mean to me the photo looks very normal, and even the enhancement done by the conspirator shows nothing suspicious or even remotely a resemblance to a bulb. Google search shows hundreds of pictures of the Sun with the same effect, so effectively there is nothing wrong with the photo.
A very vague claim.

FlightMuj

The conspirator has no image showing whether it was there in the first place or not. This picture can be found on a lot of other websites:

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a12/images12.html (scroll about 25% of the way down; or search "AS12-46-6765 after pressing Ctrl+F)

https://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/apollo/frame/?AS12-46-6765

http://tothemoon.ser.asu.edu/gallery/apollo/AS12_Hasselblad (70 mm)/list#AS12-46-6765

Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/projectapolloarchive/21077396824/in/album-72157659081038325/

A similar photo: https://archive.org/details/AS12-47-6998 (The tiff format is more than 46 MB so very high resolution; many more similar photos are there for conspirators to analyze).

I'm sorry, I should have read more carefully. I was thinking of the "everything is a hologram/faked" thing, rather than a staged photo.

Trailblazer

Staff member
The image is just one of several that show the sun and the associated flares. If you look at the thumbnails on Flickr you can see that a series of photos was taken to make a panorama. The sun was so bright that lens flare was even visible on photos with the sun well out of shot:

upload_2018-1-24_11-18-2.png

https://www.flickr.com/photos/projectapolloarchive/albums/72157659081038325

The photos can easily be assembled into panoramas showing that this is a real, seamless 3D landscape with a distant sun, not a set with a nearby bulb.

This image covers slightly more than 360 degrees (you can see Pete Conrad's shadow at both left and right).

Another, rather smoother, one using a different set of photos taken later during the EVA:

JSC2007e045376.jpg

(https://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/apollopanoramas/images/print/original/JSC2007e045376.jpg)

Zoomable and pannable version here (requires Flash) https://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/apollopanoramas/pans/?pan=JSC2007e045376&zoom=True

StarGazer

I have a few questions and I hope the second one is not off topic because it's indirectly related to the Apollo 12 image of the thread.

1. Since when Photoshop or any other image processing software programs can be used for spectral analysis of a light-source? That is: How do the claimants know that Apollo 12 image is from a light bulb in the first place just out of photoshop analysis and not using the proper equipment?

2. Is there another image of the Sun taken from space, but not from the Moon, with the same or similar camera as the one from the Apollo 12, so that a comparison can be made of the expected lens flare exposure of the Sun on the same or similar photographic film?

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Staff member
I have a few questions and I hope the second one is not off topic because it's indirectly related to the Apollo 12 image of the thread.

1. Since when Photoshop or any other image processing software programs can be used for spectral analysis of a light-source? That is: How do the claimants know that Apollo 12 image is from a light bulb in the first place just out of photoshop analysis and not using the proper equipment?

2. Is there another image of the Sun taken from space, but not from the Moon, with the same or similar camera as the one from the Apollo 12, so that a comparison can be made of the expected lens flare exposure of the Sun on the same or similar photographic film?

1) It can't, of course. People not familiar with image analysis often ascribe near magical properties to Photoshop. All that Photoshop can do is look at the properties of the digital image, which is a scan of the photographic film positive taken by the original camera. There's no hidden "spectral" information there; it's just a collection of pixels each of which have a given brightness in the red, green and blue channels. You can adjust the levels to bring out differences in contrast and tone that are hard to see with the naked eye, but that's it.

2) There are quite a few images taken by the Hasselblad cameras from Earth orbit and in cis-lunar space (ie between the Earth and the moon). For instance:

https://flic.kr/p/yM6wW1 - AS11-36-5293

These two images, AS12-51-7586 and 7587, were taken on the return journey of Apollo 12, showing the sun and a very thin crescent Earth. They're pretty blown out by the brightness of the sun.

That was just from a very quick flick through the albums. Almost all the Apollo photos are available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/projectapolloarchive/albums/with/72157658665465080

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
drhex Explained: Apollo 17 Photo of Earth from Moon Seems too High Conspiracy Theories 16
R Claim: Apollo 15-17 Live TV Feed - Antenna signal would be interrupted from all the violent shaking when Astronauts touch the buggy General Discussion 26
Nandude Light Fall Off in Apollo Missions - American Moon Documentary Conspiracy Theories 16
A Explained: astronaut's movement causes lunar flag to wave in Apollo 15 footage Conspiracy Theories 0
A Debunked: NASA tampered with the original television audio of the Apollo 11 moon landing Conspiracy Theories 1
A Debunked : Fake Set Moon Landing with TV Camera and Stairs Conspiracy Theories 3
mudr0 Claim: Australia was not visible from the moon for Apollo 11 Broadcasts Conspiracy Theories 7
Tsuki Apollo 16 - External Noises Conspiracy Theories 11
Astro Debunked: Apollo Lunar Module Hatch Too Small for Spacesuit Science and Pseudoscience 0
FlightMuj Apollo 12 visor reflections Conspiracy Theories 3
PCWilliams Debunked: Apollo 17 helmet reflection shows an unsuited stage hand [reflection of astronaut] Conspiracy Theories 27
txt29 Apollo 17: alleged inconsistency of shadows Conspiracy Theories 34
FlightMuj Debunked: Lack of fingernail bruise injury proves Apollo 17 fake Conspiracy Theories 23
nickrulercreator [Debunked] Apollo 14 Flag Waving Before Ascent? Science and Pseudoscience 21
HoaxEye How to calculate the visible fraction of the Earth [e.g. 1972 Blue Marble, Apollo 17] Flat Earth 29
Santa's sidekick Debunked: Apollo 10 "Space Music" UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 16
Hevach Debunked: Philae Landing Faked Conspiracy Theories 20
Graham2001 Aulis article uses NASA documents to cast doubt on the reality of Apollo Conspiracy Theories 26
lamentiraestaahifuera.com A pyramid on the Moon UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 12
Pete Tar Apollo 17 UFO transcript used in Daft Punk song Contact General Discussion 1
P Claim: Man took photo of an alien spacecraft in 2016 UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 21
Mick West Blurry Shapes in a Campfire Photo UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 3
Z.W. Wolf "Drone" Photo over Colorado - Actually a Boeing 737 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
Mick West UFO Billboard in Montana Uses Photo of Identified Flying Object UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 4
igoddard Edited Photo of Ghislaine Maxwell at In-N-Out Current Events 120
Cassi O Chicago Skyline from Indiana Dunes, 33 miles away Flat Earth 12
Mick West Explained: "UFOS" in Donald Trump's Crowd Photo on 4th of July UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 3
Mick West Debunked: Photo with Sun Rays at Odd Angles Flat Earth 0
D Explained: Photo of 747 with Contrails Only on One Side [Fake, April Fool] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Mick West A "Molten Metal" 9/11 Photo - Is Just Burning Paper 9/11 20
Mick West "Castle in the Sky" [Huawei phone digital glitch, 海市蜃楼 华为 ] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Snake Plisken Two objects over Ribblehead Viaduct [Probably birds] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 4
Mick West Explained: Dark Streak UFO Photo - Barn Swallow + Motion Blur UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
F WHAT IS THIS LINE? (on my Super Blue Blood Moon Photo) - Smarter Every Day 188 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
Royce Malphrus What is this? [unidentified object in photo from vehicle: lamp post] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 19
FlightMuj Explained: Photo from ISS shows "open window" [Scratch Cover] Flat Earth 2
Mick West Explained: Photo of "UFO" Used in Connection with Nimitz Incident [Balloon] UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 8
Joe Debunked: Iconic Charlottesville photo photoshopped; false flag Conspiracy Theories 29
T Help with Photo Of Dark Lines in Clouds needed. Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
deirdre NASA fakes Michael Collins' spacewalk photo (artistic representation of event) Science and Pseudoscience 23
S Explained: Why does this Apollo11 photo act so weirdly? Conspiracy Theories 13
Mick West How to Take a Photo of the Curve of the Horizon Flat Earth 103
N How can I debunk the orbs in this photo? UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 22
izz Does this photo show a too-small hole in the Pentagon? [No] 9/11 28
Mick West Analysis: Crathes Castle "Ghost" in Doorway Photo UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 6
C London bombings 7/7. Was official photo of bombers photoshopped? [No] Conspiracy Theories 6
Mick West Explaining the Ghost Boy in the Back Seat Photo with Occam's Razor UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 99
Mick West Calculating the height of something in a P900 photo when distance is known Flat Earth 59
M White streaks in photo? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 24
steve holmes I'm trying to ID the flight for this old photo of mine, Feb 19, 2014 5:25 pm Contrails and Chemtrails 5
Related Articles

Related Articles