A streak of light in a star trails image

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
DSCN8572 Last Frame South Star Trails.jpg

The above image is mostly star trails, looking south (you can see the curve around the southern celestial pole. But what caught my eye was the streak of light going behind the trees.

Now at first I was convinced it was a meteor - it's Persid season after all. And the trail starts bright and then flickers out. However the streak formed over two frames, which were both 25 second exposures with a short gap in-between. The meant it was probably moving relatively slow. So then I though of space junk.

To get a better look I isolated the trail to get more detail.
Metabunk 2018-08-12 07-48-55.jpg

Then it becomes clear it's some kind of aircraft. As it fades out there's a series of regular spaced flashes
Metabunk 2018-08-12 07-49-57.jpg

And back near the start there's a similar sequence.
Metabunk 2018-08-12 07-52-46.jpg

And we can see it did actually start abruptly, meaning it was there for the entire first frame,
Metabunk 2018-08-12 07-57-41.jpg

And close examination of the east end shows a continuation of the trail:
Metabunk 2018-08-12 08-01-37.jpg
It took over two full frames, so it took around a minute to cross the field of view.

So ultimately a banal explanation - just a plane flying from west to east. As the angle changes the main light becomes less and less visible, then is hidden by the body of the plane. A bit boring, but it goes to show you should always check your initial assumptions. I was initially convinced it was a meteor or space junk by the way the trail faded out.

Spectrar Ghost

Senior Member.

Navigation strobes. This is almost certainly not the type of aircraft in the image, though.

Have you made any attempt to identify the aircraft, Mick?

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Explained: DEW Energy Beam Starting Forest Fires - Dirty Lens, Light Streak Conspiracy Theories 13
P What is this streak of light caused by? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 34
Leifer Did Holzhauer deliberatly "sabbotage" his Jeopardy winning streak ? [No] General Discussion 2
Mick West White Streak & Trail over N. California Dec 19 2018 - Meteor? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Mick West Explained: Dark Streak UFO Photo - Barn Swallow + Motion Blur UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
RevenTexX Bright hovering, then moving, light in the sky of Mexico City Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
Mick West Bright Light that "goes from the ocean to the clouds" [Plane] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
D Fukushima fast light (reflection?) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Nandude Light Fall Off in Apollo Missions - American Moon Documentary Conspiracy Theories 16
ParanormalInSeattle Strange Light Caught On Camera Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 12
Mick West Explained: "Beam of Light" in To The Stars Academy header images UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Unusual Light Track in Long Exposures, Grand Canyon Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 38
Mick West Explained: Unexplained Green Light During Thunderstorm Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Explained: Flashes of Light During the World Trade Center Collapse 9/11 5
Qualiall What is this "weird orb"? [Likely Chinese Lantern] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 28
Mick West Debunked: "Deadly Ultraviolet UV-C and UV-B Penetration to Earth’s Surface:" [Stray Light] Contrails and Chemtrails 30
R Utah "Flat Eath" Frozen Lake Experiment Shows Light Visible over Longer Distance than Expected Flat Earth 8
Origo Unidentified Satellite/Star in Southern Sweden 2011? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 32
Enricks How would "Bendy Light" even work on a Flat Earth? Flat Earth 13
Jared Some proof The Moon is not it's Own Light Source Flat Earth 2
Trailblazer Measuring the distance to the moon with laser reflections and the speed of light Flat Earth 5
deirdre Debunked: Jane Seymour advocates red lights for gun free homes (Satire site) General Discussion 6
C Strange Flickering in Contrail Video Posted in Earlier Thread [Focussing artifacts] Contrails and Chemtrails 7
Jonathan Evans "The Real Venus" Shimmering circle of light Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 20
C Interesting observation of moon light phenomena i can't find the answer to ???? General Discussion 4
Whitebeard Bright 'St. Patrick's Day' meteor over UK Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Justatruthseeker Debunked: Telescope Distances of Billions of Light Years are impossible Science and Pseudoscience 84
Homeboundanywhere Strange Light at Cathedral in Edinburgh General Discussion 2
Mick West Why People are 'Suddenly' Seeing Strange Beams of Light Around the World - The Reddit Effect General Discussion 23
Mick West Will an SLR create rolling shutter artifacts, like a beam of light with lightning? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 0
Mick West Debunked: Ghost Photo in Stony River Hotel, Okato, NZ [Light in Fridge] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 5
Mick West Debunked: UFO over Loch Ness [Reflection in Dual Pane Window] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 64
Trailspotter Explained: Dark contrails behind bright planes Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
Ogmion Does DNA emit light General Discussion 8
Steve Funk Beams of Light Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Pete Tar "UFO" On Erie Live TV Broadcast Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
rain boots what is this? ascending bright bluish light Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 10
Kenton Nightime Contrail? [Light Pillar] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 41
Balance NASA photo captures strange bright light seemingly coming out of Mars General Discussion 39
Mick West Solved: Strange Beam of Light over Mayan Temple and Florida [Lightning + Rolling Shutter Artifact] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 81
mrfintoil Debunked: The Great pyramid of Giza and the Speed of Light UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 21
somnamblst Posting this in light of the "EMT" claims regarding Jeff Bauman Boston Marathon Bombings 6
Brandon The Kopp-Etchells Effect (Helicopter Light Scintillation Halo) Contrails and Chemtrails 23
Mick West Debunked: Particulate crimes: Chemtrails [Mist Under Bright Light] Contrails and Chemtrails 70
Spongebob Faster Than Light? Contrails and Chemtrails 9
D Looks like a star, but it's not? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Whitebeard Debunked: Nibiru FOUND? Mysterious gigantic rogue planet spotted lurking outside our solar system Science and Pseudoscience 1
Marin B Orange star? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
derwoodii My eyes deceived me so I had to debunk myself Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 8
Marine0811 Is this a star or ufo? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 31
Related Articles

Related Articles