White streaks in photo?

Marinoni

I took this image on a clear day a couple of months ago. The sky was clear, no clouds and this is what my phone camera recorded. I did not see this when taking the pic. I figured it was simply a distortion, maybe something digital until today when I looked at the heads of two ladies, one with a hat and one near the stone wall. The white streak is behind them. Any thoughts please?

deirdre

Senior Member.
I have a family member in the full photo, I'm trying to be discreet. Is a modified pic acceptable? I can blot out the family member?
yea. it looks like a typical sun pattern... do you have other photos of that day/time as well, so we can see the sky without the white blob part?

Marinoni

I guess it was 4 or 5 p.m. on the west side of Baja California about 70 miles south of San Diego. This shot was from a similar spot as the first pic, but pointing up and apparently to the setting of the sun. Sorry, no other pics with a good shot of the ocean horizon.

Leifer

Senior Member.
The horizon line looks edited, as if the camera decided what to edit. These phone cameras often "try" to get the best possible photo, often resorting to digitally highlight faces, and digitally define horizons.
What phone are you using ?

Marinoni

The horizon line looks edited, as if the camera decided what to edit. These phone cameras often "try" to get the best possible photo, often resorting to digitally highlight faces, and digitally define horizons.
What phone are you using ?
MOTOROLA MOTO G

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
It's almost certainly a digital artifact. The most likely to me seems to be panorama stitching, possibly as a result of the flash going off on the camera in front. This looks like that
20161031-121719-219df.jpg

Although I suppose it could just be someone coincidentally bending over.

It's at La Bufadora, a common day drip from cruises docked at Ensenada. I went there a few years ago. The camera is looking roughly southwest. The sun would be going behind the hill on the right.
20161031-124053-gueav.jpg

There's a blowhole there that shoots white plumes of water into the air, but nothing like this, and would be off to the right of the photo.
20161031-124615-5zl08.jpg

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Correct, the blowhole is off to the right. So, the flash went off maybe??
Maybe. If you want to investigate, then use the same Moto G to take a photo of an outdoor scene while someone else takes a photo with the flash, holding the camera in front. It might at least show if the stitching is done curved like that.

Marinoni

Maybe. If you want to investigate, then use the same Moto G to take a photo of an outdoor scene while someone else takes a photo with the flash, holding the camera in front. It might at least show if the stitching is done curved like that.
I will try that. Thanks for the input on this.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I briefly tried replicating it with an iPhone, but got nowhere.

Could you possibly post the entire exif data of the photo?

deirdre

Senior Member.
i'm thinking there might also have been some clouds there.. as in your second photo to the far right of the photo there is a faint cloud. you say 'a clear day', but obviously there was some clouds available to maybe highlight? the flash? (just a guess)

http://www.imore.com/iphone-5s-vs-iphone-5c-vs-iphone-5-camera-shootout
hh.JPG

add: this page too has a shot of the ferris wheel (twice) once wheere clouds show as clouds and once washed out bright http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/moto-g-2014-1263344/review/5

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
The photo looks like it's HDR, and the glitch might be from that, rather than panorama.

HDR images are made by taking two (or more) images with different exposures, and then blending them together. This allows sunlit and shadowed areas to both be visible. It gives a bit of an odd flat look to the image, here's an example 20161031-135754-of4o5.jpg

Note the bright area around the leaves - that's entirely from the HDR processing.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
This is from a Moto G, see the fringe around the tree. Maybe the sky streak is a glitched version of this.

And possibly even trigged by the flash.

Marinoni

i'm thinking there might also have been some clouds there.. as in your second photo to the far right of the photo there is a faint cloud. you say 'a clear day', but obviously there was some clouds available to maybe highlight? the flash? (just a guess)

http://www.imore.com/iphone-5s-vs-iphone-5c-vs-iphone-5-camera-shootout
View attachment 22294

add: this page too has a shot of the ferris wheel (twice) once wheere clouds show as clouds and once washed out bright http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/moto-g-2014-1263344/review/5
There were no clouds on the horizon at all that I recall.

Marinoni

The photo looks like it's HDR, and the glitch might be from that, rather than panorama.

HDR images are made by taking two (or more) images with different exposures, and then blending them together. This allows sunlit and shadowed areas to both be visible. It gives a bit of an odd flat look to the image, here's an example View attachment 22295

Note the bright area around the leaves - that's entirely from the HDR processing.
This really looks like the issue...but mostly a glitch of some kind. Maybe on the weekend I'll head out there and take a bunch of pics and see if I can duplicate it.

Marinoni

It's almost certainly a digital artifact. The most likely to me seems to be panorama stitching, possibly as a result of the flash going off on the camera in front. This looks like that
View attachment 22289

Although I suppose it could just be someone coincidentally bending over.

It's at La Bufadora, a common day drip from cruises docked at Ensenada. I went there a few years ago. The camera is looking roughly southwest. The sun would be going behind the hill on the right.
View attachment 22290

There's a blowhole there that shoots white plumes of water into the air, but nothing like this, and would be off to the right of the photo.
View attachment 22291
I think your red arrow is pointing to a child likely bent over running or playing or something.

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
This really looks like the issue...but mostly a glitch of some kind. Maybe on the weekend I'll head out there and take a bunch of pics and see if I can duplicate it.
Yes, looking at the original you send me, it's an HDR image (it says HDR in the file name). It also says auto-bracketing (which would be part of the HDR process). Is this straight from the camera? (Says XT1040 camera model)

So I'm 99% sure this is an HDR artifact. To try to duplicate it, make sure HDR is switched on (it might do it by default), and then take photos with the sun just off the top right of the image, and obscured by a hill or something (even house or street sign). I'd try a variety of positions, maybe with the sun peeking over the top of the hill/house/sign). Tilt the camera similarly.

Last edited:

Marinoni

Yes, looking at the original you send me, it's an HDR image (it says HDR in the file name). It also says auto-bracketing (which would be part of the HDR process). Is this straight from the camera? (Says XT1040 camera model)

So I'm 99% sure this is an HDR artifact. To try to duplicate it, make sure HDR is switched on (it might do it by default), and then take photos with the sun just off the top right of the image, and obscured by a hill or something (even house or street sign). I'd try a variety of positions, maybe with the sun peeking over the top of the hill/house/sign). Tilt the camera similarly.
I'll get back to this thread in a week. I'll head out to the Bufadora on the weekend and see if I can duplicate it. Thanks very much for your input.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West MUFON Case 105762 - White Cigar "Following" Plane (Another Plane) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
Mick West "UAP" Causes Lockdown of White House UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 3
Mick West White Streak & Trail over N. California Dec 19 2018 - Meteor? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Mick West White Hot: The Accuracy of Color Temperature 9/11 8
J Explaining the white smoke from the base of the South Tower 9/11 Conspiracy Theories 13
Justin Shaw New strange drone footage - small white objects moving fast UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 30
Mick West Russian Claims of a "False Flag" Chemical Weapons Attack in Douma, Syria Current Events 10
ki_cz 13,000 mile white line in Google Earth Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Black and White Contrail - Above or Below Images and Videos: Contrails, Skies, and Aviation 10
Mick West Debunked: English Young Father Assaulted by Muslim Mob in Baildon, UK [White Youths] General Discussion 12
Bruno D. Debunked: Virginia Journalist Shooter is a White Man Conspiracy Theories 1
Joe 10 White "UFO" objects filmed flying over Japan UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 15
Mick West White Dot UFO [Balloon] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 19
Gundersen White paper on "Contrails/cirrus optics and radiation" Contrails and Chemtrails 1
Steve Funk White House Fence Jumper, Omar J. Gonzalez, chemtrail connection? Conspiracy Theories 2
zebra100 Businessman Claims he Saw ‘White Plane Image’ Under Water while Flying from Melbourn Flight MH370 0
Mick West White, Grey, and Rainbow Colored CRJ-700 Contrail [Likely Intermixed Engine Configuration] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 43
moderateGOP DHS Funds Installation of White Boxes That Can Track Population of Entire City Conspiracy Theories 119
Oxymoron Mystery White Plane Over Whitehouse 9/11 69
FuzzyUK Theodore White - astrological aspects explain punch up in Ukrainian parliament Science and Pseudoscience 21
Mick West Debunked: ‘White Guilt’ Bracelets - Government wants you to wear them? Conspiracy Theories 223
Juror No. 8 Obama kills Osama: What if real reporters were allowed White House press passes? General Discussion 0
Mick West Debunked: Executive Order 13575 - Establishment of the White House Rural Council Conspiracy Theories 214
Mick West Debunked: 'UFO' Missile Streaks Over California Contrails and Chemtrails 3
Mick West Blurry Shapes in a Campfire Photo UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 2
Z.W. Wolf "Drone" Photo over Colorado - Actually a Boeing 737 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
Mick West UFO Billboard in Montana Uses Photo of Identified Flying Object UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 4
igoddard Edited Photo of Ghislaine Maxwell at In-N-Out Current Events 120
Cassi O Chicago Skyline from Indiana Dunes, 33 miles away Flat Earth 12
Mick West Explained: "UFOS" in Donald Trump's Crowd Photo on 4th of July UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 3
Mick West Debunked: Photo with Sun Rays at Odd Angles Flat Earth 0
D Explained: Photo of 747 with Contrails Only on One Side [Fake, April Fool] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Mick West A "Molten Metal" 9/11 Photo - Is Just Burning Paper 9/11 20
Mick West "Castle in the Sky" [Huawei phone digital glitch, 海市蜃楼 华为 ] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
Snake Plisken Two objects over Ribblehead Viaduct [Probably birds] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 4
Mick West Explained: Dark Streak UFO Photo - Barn Swallow + Motion Blur UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
F WHAT IS THIS LINE? (on my Super Blue Blood Moon Photo) - Smarter Every Day 188 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
FlightMuj Apollo 12 photo analysis shows Sun as bulb [claim] Conspiracy Theories 19
Royce Malphrus What is this? [unidentified object in photo from vehicle: lamp post] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 19
FlightMuj Explained: Photo from ISS shows "open window" [Scratch Cover] Flat Earth 2
Mick West Explained: Photo of "UFO" Used in Connection with Nimitz Incident [Balloon] UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 8
Joe Debunked: Iconic Charlottesville photo photoshopped; false flag Conspiracy Theories 29
T Help with Photo Of Dark Lines in Clouds needed. Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 5
deirdre NASA fakes Michael Collins' spacewalk photo (artistic representation of event) Science and Pseudoscience 23
S Explained: Why does this Apollo11 photo act so weirdly? Conspiracy Theories 13
Mick West How to Take a Photo of the Curve of the Horizon Flat Earth 103
N How can I debunk the orbs in this photo? UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 22
izz Does this photo show a too-small hole in the Pentagon? [No] 9/11 28
Mick West Analysis: Crathes Castle "Ghost" in Doorway Photo UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 6
C London bombings 7/7. Was official photo of bombers photoshopped? [No] Conspiracy Theories 6
Related Articles

Related Articles