1. Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  2. Mick West

Mick West Administrator Staff Member

Bokeh

Basically it's a very bright reflection on the plane, and it's slightly out of focus. I addressed this elsewhere, and will try to dig it up.
  3. Mick West

Here's an image sequence I made a while ago that shows how you can get bokeh from something that is out of focus. Carnicoms images are just a regular plane, reflecting the sun, and out of focus.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  4. Hi Mick,

this is a good exlanation indeed.
    How did you make this effect?
    Thank you!
  5. Mick West

It's not really an effect. It's just what happens when a small bright light source is out of focus. I made the images above by focusing on the cars in the distance, and then taking successive photos with the focus just off slightly, done manually.

The size of the bokeh is related to the size of the frame, and not the object. So for a far off plane, closely cropped, it's easy to get bokeh that's bigger than the plane.
  6. Thank you Mick!

Can I use your pictures in a post of my blog?
  7. Mick West

Sure! You can always use my pictures.
  8. Pete Tar

Pete Tar Senior Member

"Bokeh" - "the aesthetic quality of the blur".
    Did not know.
    Amazing the supernatural yearnings projected onto shiny things.
  9. stars15k

stars15k New Member

Great debunk of "spirit orbs", especially in the outdoors, as well!
    I did a pixel count on an "invisible plane" once, using several different pictures of "invisibility proven" claims, and found that each plane would have been completely imaged in less than four pixels (lengthwise). Similar counts of the "no windows, no marking" secret planes fared just a bit better; the I think the average number was eight. Informing people that you can get nothing but a vague shape at such a low resolution got me blocked.
    Imagine.