Vindog's Contrail Questions [Contrails Near Boston]

Well, Ill do my best to get some good pictures like you guys instructed me to. Ill be in that Area from this Wednesday to Saturday. Hopefully my plans will permit a good photography session.

Weedwhacker, thank you for clearing up my misuse of those words, but i dont think it really changes my point at all.

Well, I'd expect by now your answer has been given....but no, and an airplane that "had taken off north of Logan" that later flew directly overhead Logan? High enough to leave a contrail?

We usually do not lower the altitude en-route (however, this has happened, if traffic circumstanced dictate).

You used the word "elevation". though. You might wish to understand that "elevation" is imprecise, in aviation as it relates to an airplane.

We use "elevation" to refer to fixed points on the Earth's surface. In heights above Mean Sea Level (MSL). An airplane in flight is at an "altitude" (also referenced to MSL). Various countries have an "altitude" above which ALL airplanes set their altimeters to a constant, and then it is called a "Flight Level". In the USA, this is above 18,000 feet MSL. In some parts of Europe (say, the UK) this might be 5,000 MSL. It is based on the terrain, and possibility of impacting terrain....since the UK has no high mountains, 5,000 is sufficient.

I know this is possibly arcane info, but it leads to the point that WHEN discussing aviation, and particularly when attempting to make a "case" for "chem"trails, it's a good idea to actually know your facts ABOUT aviation, and the aviation environment.

I was suggesting that a plane which he saw come from the direction of Logan, which was trailing, and he thought had taken off from Logan, probably originated at an airport BEYOND Logan. What you saw was his response to my suggestion about that. He apparently insists that the plane was "low" when passing over Logan, hence his sarcastic comment that it would have had to "lower it's elevation" while passing over Logan in order to appear as low as he insists it was. Make sense?

My wife got me a nice gopro cam, so ill see if i can mess with the timelapse settings and get some good shots that way.

Well, Ill do my best to get some good pictures like you guys instructed me to. Ill be in that Area from this Wednesday to Saturday. Hopefully my plans will permit a good photography session.

Weedwhacker, thank you for clearing up my misuse of those words, but i dont think it really changes my point at all.

Is your point still that planes are trailing soon after takeoff from Logan? If you can get shots proving that, you will be famous.

PS: As I said before, if that was happening there would already be vids of it all over chemtrail believer sites.

You are welcome. Oh, and taking a cue from others, I've decided to show my actual face image...not my best, the Sun was in my eyes.

As to your "point"? I really think you are on the cusp of understanding, and perhaps a bit more discussion will help you to fully comprehend the reality of CONtrails, and the myth and now HOAX of "chem"trails.

Also, perception of objects as observed overhead....our (Human) ability to perceive this, merely by visual input, is not nearly as good as we'd like to think.

My wife got me a nice gopro cam, so ill see if i can mess with the timelapse settings and get some good shots that way.

NOW, that is a good idea. Time-lapse photography shows very clearly the "naturalness" of clouds, and of contrails.

Here, from YouTube, just some examples:

There are MANY more examples, on YouTube already.

if go cams don't record timestamps , try showing your cellphone time in between so the guys can track the flights for you ; )

and since everyone is power talking over each other again i'll add boston 1780.

dcb.JPG

I was suggesting that a plane which he saw come from the direction of Logan, which was trailing, and he thought had taken off from Logan, probably originated at an airport BEYOND Logan. What you saw was his response to my suggestion about that. He apparently insists that the plane was "low" when passing over Logan, hence his sarcastic comment that it would have had to "lower it's elevation" while passing over Logan in order to appear as low as he insists it was. Make sense?

I expect that you are exactly correct.

For the record....MANY Trans-Atlantic flights (westbound) into the U.S. will eventually travel overhead the Boston, MA area.

Again, just look at the NAT tracks:

The above image shows the NATs ending up in Canada, but very shortly (about an hour later, for westbound flights) we enter the Boston ATC region, and depending on final destination, will fly on various Airways.

EDIT: The image above shows a specific day, and has all of the NATs "highlighted", and "anchored" at their North America ends. This is just a representation, and shows the complexity of the Air Traffic Control system, and "WHY" it is sometimes difficult to fully explain to the layperson.

Another things to keep in mind is that contrails are generally a LOT further away than you think they are. Here's an article I wrote on estimating the distance from the angles:
http://contrailscience.com/how-far-away-is-that-contrail/

For "Vindog", if you continue to read this thread. I'd like to share a link:

http://skyvector.com/?ll=42.36287351136786,-71.00646972512804&chart=304&zoom=3

That ( ^^^ ) takes you to a site that is interactive, and used by many pilots. I have centered it on Boston "Logan" Airport (KBOS).

There you can see the HIGH altitude Airway Route structure that exists, and that is what is typically programmed into every flight's FMC (or, Flight Management Computer) based on their ATC (Air Traffic Control) filed Flight Plan. Know that En-Route, ATC has the ability (as do pilots) to ALTER any previously filed Flight Plan. But, that is perhaps irrelevant at this juncture....

Its the truth man.

I live in NJ, so im not available.

OK...there are (firstly) certain "politeness" concerns in this Forum. I, myself, have had comments removed.

Secondly, being in NJ is not a problem...NO, I joke because, I used to be "based" in New Jersey (KEWR), when I flew for Continental Airlines...(NOW merged into United Airlines....oh, well...).

I didn't live there (I actually lived in Arlington, VA at the time) but, this is the situation for MANY airline employees....commuting to their "base".

NOW...what would you like to know? I have flown many airplanes in my 40+ years as a pilot. I can tell you that "chem"trails are a myth...an Urban Legend....AND in some cases a HOAX perpetrated by some people who wish to "sell" stuff. It gets complicated (the "myth and hoax" parts), but the science of contrails is clear.

NOW...what would you like to know? I have flown many airplanes in my 40+ years as a pilot. I can tell you that "chem"trails are a myth...an Urban Legend....AND in some cases a HOAX perpetrated by some people who wish to "sell" stuff. It gets complicated (the "myth and hoax" parts), but the science of contrails is clear.
what I want to know is what evidence do you have to support that blanket statement, other than a few books with dusty old pictures that have NO context.....

The more I learn about CHEMtrails, the weaker your arguments become. Chemical seeding patents for airial spraying have been around since at least vietnam... your pictures from your lil history books prove nothing!

Vindog. People have been trying to help you in good faith, and they you turn around and insult them? That's very disappointing.

I'm putting you into moderation. I encourage you to take some time to look at the resources provided, and see how it tallies with what you are seeing.

what I want to know is what evidence do you have to support that blanket statement, other than a few books with dusty old pictures that have NO context.....

I understand that a Moderator has given you a "time out". Please take this time to do some real research.

I might be a 'dusty old picture' (at nearly 60 years old) but I hope that my knowledge and life experience matters for something, at least.

I understand that a Moderator has given you a "time out". Please take this time to do some real research.

I might be a 'dusty old picture' (at nearly 60 years old) but I hope that my knowledge and life experience matters for something, at least.
I was not saying that YOU are a dusty old picture. I was saying that the "70 years of pictures" are old and dusty, and prove nothing. It is a false analogy argument. "if normal contrails have been persistent in the past then all current trails that are persistent are normal."

Today, you have CHEMtrails behaving like CHEMtrails.

First of all, what are the observable characteristics of chemtrails that are not observed of contrails?
List their behaviours for us, that will help us understand.

You all seem to also use the "Moving Goal Post" logical fallacy to fight your arguments.
If you make a statement like this, then show how the goal posts have been moved by quoting people, don't just say 'logical fallacy' with no evidence.

I was not saying that YOU are a dusty old picture. I was saying that the "70 years of pictures" are old and dusty, and prove nothing. It is a false analogy argument. "if normal contrails have been persistent in the past then all current trails that are persistent are normal."

OK...I am now clear on it.

Still, my offer stands. And I am NOT "moving any goalposts".

I will answer ANY and ALL questions that you can ask...know that you are asking an actual (retired) airline pilot here. ALSO, as I tend to suggest, you may wish to print up ANY of these convos, and then seek out airline pilots who (unlike me, since I am slightly anonymous) you can meet, in person face-to-face. This is rather easy to do, at ANY nearby major airport. Pilots (who are "normal people" will eat when there is time, in airports...in-between fights).

ALSO....when they are WELL oustside the "Security" area, we will be waiting for the Hotel bus to take us to the lay-over Hotel.

These are ALL opportunities to approach a working airline pilot, and ask questions....(KNOW that some may be fatigued, some may be ASSholes, but SOME will be nice and answer your questions).

It is a false analogy argument. "if normal contrails have been persistent in the past then all current trails that are persistent are normal."

No one said that. What the pictures show is that the claim that "persistent trails didn't exist until recently" is false. I have already explained this to you once.

I don't recall the thread ever saying that. maybe you can tell us where you read that.
This is the entire premise of the Contrailscience website. Their whole argument is that they have pictures of contrails acting they way people say are suspicious for over 70 years. So that means the website is saying, "since we have pictures from 70 years ago of a contrail doing this, the rapidly increasing phenomenon that you are seeing today is just that same thing, and there is no such thing as chemical trails cuz hey look, we have these old pictures."

The website then goes on to claim that theorists claim that it NEVER happened before they started spraying chemicals. But thats not true. Im not sure who you think is saying that. Im not saying that. Im just saying that it never used to happen in my neck of the woods, but now it does, and that is weird to me...because i cant see what changed over 20 years to make it go from non existent in my sky, to my sky being covered daily by a sheet of white grayish, sometimes even black, clouds, that came from the trails....

That site contrailscience uses some Legit facts to spread DISinformation.

Last edited by a moderator:
As to your question over what can have changed to make more contrails over your area, the use of newer more efficient engines can influence that.

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/de...-make-contrails-actually-they-make-more.3187/
In a rather odd reversal of known science, the latest chemtrail theory is that modern high-bypass engines do not create contrails.

This can be easily debunked simply by a review of the scientific literature. The likelyhood that a particular engine will create a contrail is governed by the "contrail factor", and this is higher for high bypass engines
Content from External Source
And possibly there has been some local shifts in climate conditions, perhaps variations caused by some cycle similar to el nino.
However, it's not necessary to invoke a climate change to explain more contrail persistance; most likely, they did form and persist in the past, you didn't particularly notice them because you weren't thinking about and looking out for chemtrails, and now there's more flights and cleaner burning engines producing more of them.

Hopefully we can find some pictures of contrails from 20 years ago for your area.

People may broadly say that the chemtrail story is a "hoax" or "myth"(I have certainly said that) because of having seen all the evidence that chemtrail believers have to offer and found it utterly lacking in validity. Show us wrong. That's what we're here for.

Last edited:
The website then goes on to claim that theorists claim that it NEVER happened before they started spraying chemicals. But thats not true.

The one central, basic, enduring premise of chemtrail belief has been (and STILL IS) that normal contrails can't persist. The length of time claimed that normal contrails can persist varies widely- from 30 seconds to 30 minutes, but ALL of those claims are false. Contrails have been seen to persist for hours ever since WW2 or before.

So that means the website is saying, "since we have pictures from 70 years ago of a contrail doing this, the rapidly increasing phenomenon that you are seeing today is just that same thing, and there is no such thing as chemical trails cuz hey look, we have these old pictures."
well contrails do act the same as they always have. they have existed wherever cirrus clouds exist.. because they are manmade cirrus clouds and Massachusetts Definitely had cirrus clouds during your lifetime.

BUT all contrail science is saying is there is no evidence of 'chemtrails'. It's not nice to twist people's words.

Im just saying that it never used to happen in my neck of the woods

Yes, we see that you keep saying that. What response do you want? What you think you remember is unlikely to be true, since persistent trails existed wherever there was commercial aviation, at that time. There weren't "NO" persistent trails at that time and your sky is not "covered daily" now. Exaggeration doesn't help your case.

Apparently there has been some change in the area's climate.

http://www.neaq.org/conservation_and_research/climate_change/climate_change_in_new_england.php
How is New England being impacted by climate change?

Part of New England’s charm is the distinct four seasons—a climate that includes crisp falls, snow-filled winters and temperate springs and summers. The climate has started to change, however. Snow cover is decreasing and spring arrives earlier. And the number of extremely hot summer days has been increasing. According to a report from the Northeast Climate Impacts Assessment (NECIA) team, since 1970, the Northeast has been warming at a rate of nearly .5 degrees F per decade, with winter temperatures rising faster, at a rate of 1.3 degrees F per decade from 1970 to 2000, all changes consistent with those expected to be caused by global warming. 2010 was the warmest year on record.

Apparently there has been some change in the area's climate.

http://www.neaq.org/conservation_and_research/climate_change/climate_change_in_new_england.php
How is New England being impacted by climate change?

Part of New England’s charm is the distinct four seasons—a climate that includes crisp falls, snow-filled winters and temperate springs and summers. The climate has started to change, however. Snow cover is decreasing and spring arrives earlier. And the number of extremely hot summer days has been increasing. According to a report from the Northeast Climate Impacts Assessment (NECIA) team, since 1970, the Northeast has been warming at a rate of nearly .5 degrees F per decade, with winter temperatures rising faster, at a rate of 1.3 degrees F per decade from 1970 to 2000, all changes consistent with those expected to be caused by global warming. 2010 was the warmest year on record.
So how does smaller winters and hotter summers make for more favorable conditions for a contrail to persist?

I mean, since we are talking about contrails and chemtrails, i cant see how this video would be off topic....since the topic is contrails and chemtrails. Oh and watch the whole video....no timestamp. 3 minute video.

Please specify the years and the location where you claim there were no persistent contrails.
I grew up in No. Easton MA, so you could probably say a 10-30 mile radius from there. I can remember watching the contrails, as it was something that I really enjoyed (i dont know why), from 1989 up until now. I started seeing chemtrails around 2000

How do you decide to define them as chemtrails? You still haven't provided a list of the characteristics of chemtrails compared to contrails.
So reports of persistent contrails prior to 2000 in the Boston area would be enough to satisfy you?

I grew up in No. Easton MA, so you could probably say a 10-30 mile radius from there. I can remember watching the contrails, as it was something that I really enjoyed (i dont know why), from 1989 up until now. I started seeing chemtrails around 2000

So, no persistent trails from 1989 to 1999, right?

PS: Or, I guess you claim there were none in ANY year, EVER, before around the year 2000?

Last edited:
Back