Video of helicopter leaving "chemtrail"?

Trailblazer

Staff member
This video allegedly shows a helicopter at fairly low altitude spraying some kind of "chemtrail":

The trails appears to be associated with a small cumulus cloud, with the helicopter "dragging out" small puffs of cloud as it flies through the cloud, but the exact mechanism is a mystery to me. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
This video allegedly shows a helicopter at fairly low altitude spraying some kind of "chemtrail":

The trails appears to be associated with a small cumulus cloud, with the helicopter "dragging out" small puffs of cloud as it flies through the cloud, but the exact mechanism is a mystery to me. Any thoughts?

It does not look to me that the trail is associated with that cloud, as at the end of the video the trail's remnants are well behind it along the helicopter track. This means that the trail and the cloud are probably at different altitudes

I am not 100% sure that the trail is associated with the helicopter, but, if it is, it appears to come from the rotor blades. They are known to make wingtip vortices in humid conditions.

Could it be some kind of an aerodynamic trail?

Vortices due to Helicopter Blades rotation (http://sitemaker.umich.edu/saiprasad/cool_cfd_simulations).

Last edited:
I don't know. There's a vortex that appears in the first few seconds that seems to be through the cumulus cloud. I think the idea that the trail is moisture from the cloud entrained in the helo's vortex has merit.

That's what I would have though because there seems to be a very tiny bit of trail before the main part of the cloud and a little bit after that, after which it stops, (as you can even hear the video maker at 0:20 says "come on , spray you bastard") as there is no "spray" at all after the first few seconds of video.

Interesting also that the video poster seems to claim a HUGE knowledge of the spray campaign. In the comments when someone asks just how much they think a helicopter can carry, the OP claims a 2kg bag of mix can spray 1000 miles of trail.

That is 2g per mile or 1.2 mg per metre.

Last edited:
I don't know. There's a vortex that appears in the first few seconds that seems to be through the cumulus cloud. I think the idea that the trail is moisture from the cloud entrained in the helo's vortex has merit.
I don't know either whether it flew through a cloud or beneath it. Here are two screenshots showing relative positions of the trail and the cloud(s) in the beginning and near the end of the video, respectively:
View attachment 12943
View attachment 12944

Best Helicopter contrail above the Arctic Circle - fairly self explanatory and included FYI :)

Not really. These are exhaust contrails due to extremely low temperatures on the ground, which are shaped by the rotor blades vortices. There are photos of helicopter contrails of this kind here at Metabunk.

The OP case is different but it is not novel, here is a previous similar video:

In this case, the trail clearly comes from the rotor blades.

Yes I know they are different......but helicopter contrails of any sort are relatively rare so the FYI bit is to help people with a resource to show that they do exist in the first place....when atmospheric conditions are right for them, as with all other contrails :)

2023-09-17_09-14-28.jpg
Hello, can you explain these helicopter contrails?
They look like contrails. Looks like a very cold region, like a part of Russia. The text say's "condensation from helicopters", but it's not clear if that's sarcastic.

2023-09-17_09-14-28.jpg

They look like contrails. Looks like a very cold region, like a part of Russia. The text say's "condensation from helicopters", but it's not clear if that's sarcastic.
Glad you can see this clip, I was wondering if it was available to you.
Posted by chemtrails believer, you probably see a lot of sarcasm.
However, what is the phenomenon we see? It's certainly not gunfire smoke. Sure enough, the smoke breaks and appears. Do they give more gas, do they go through colder zones? Do they use a specific anti-icing device?

This video is from a Bulgarian FB page, but it probably was filmed in Russia. Amongst the cars there is a Russian Lada Classic ("Жигули"). The helicopters seem to be Mil Mi-24 Hind or Mi-28 Havoc, the latter are used by Russian aerobatic performance demonstrator team Berkuts, which machines may be equipped with smoke generators (I found no pictures or videos of their use yet). This could be their flypast over a town with a smoke salute.

Also, judging by the amount of snow piled on the roadside, the video was filmed in the middle of winter. I recall seeing Russian videos of helicopter contrails that were taken when the air temperatures on the ground were below 30°C. If this is the case here, it could be just the engine exhaust contrails.

This video is from a Bulgarian FB page, but it probably was filmed in Russia. Amongst the cars there is a Russian Lada Classic ("Жигули"). The helicopters seem to be Mil Mi-24 Hind or Mi-28 Havoc, the latter are used by Russian aerobatic performance demonstrator team Berkuts, which machines may be equipped with smoke generators (I found no pictures or videos of their use yet). This could be their flypast over a town with a smoke salute.

Also, judging by the amount of snow piled on the roadside, the video was filmed in the middle of winter. I recall seeing Russian videos of helicopter contrails that were taken when the air temperatures on the ground were below 30°C. If this is the case here, it could be just the engine exhaust contrails.
here is another clip with a similar phenomenon, here it is much more clearly expressed and regular. The helicopter's smoke can be seen disappearing as it takes off

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PcowKB_Dwc&t=9s

I think that I found the original video on a Russian social network VKontakte.

It was filmed on about 24 January 2022 at Liubinskii, Omsk Oblast, Russia. Located in Western Siberia, this place can be very cold in the middle of winter. So these are almost certainly the exhaust contrails.

Note that helicopters can leave aerodynamic contrails from the tips of the rotor blades, but these occur in very humid conditions and much warmer temperatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was filmed on about 24 January 2022 at Liubinskii, Omsk Oblast, Russia. Located in Western Siberia, this place can be very cold in the middle of winter. So these are almost certainly the exhaust contrails.
Nice find on the original vid! I took 3 frames from around 0:20 and it seems like the trail is coming from the right place to be the exhaust. I also noticed a smaller trail above the larger one that I am pretty sure is from the rotor directly.
1695012703913.png1695012715165.png1695012727766.png

Also the smaller trail on top starts again a few seconds after the lower one stops, and continues for a few seconds, but it is much fainter.
1695012963836.png

Based on where the exhaust ports are located on the Mi-24 I am thinking thinking the large trail has the typical vortexes either from flowing back over the wing, or from rotor wash, or a combination.
1695014033490.png

Nice find on the original vid! I took 3 frames from around 0:20 and it seems like the trail is coming from the right place to be the exhaust. I also noticed a smaller trail above the larger one that I am pretty sure is from the rotor directly.
I agree. I checked the weather records for the place on 24-Jan-2022, it wasn't very cold by local standards, just around -20°C. However, the relative humidity was very high, above 80%, which is corroborated by hoar frost formed on trees and wires. A high humidity would explain the formation of both aerodynamic contrails from the rotor blades and exhaust contrails at somewhat warmer than usual temperatures. Local variations of humidity would explain the on-and-off breaks in contrails.

I have also geolocated the camera position to 55° 9'31.07"N 72°41'37.03"E on the grounds of the Liubinskii Fire Station. There is no StreetView for this urban-type settlement on Google or Yandex, but I found a thumb photo taken from essentially the same position (the original source is not accessible to me:():Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 21.22.52.png
Based on the solar azimuth, the video was taken in the morning, at about 11:30 AM local time (05:30 UTC).

Last edited:

Source: https://youtu.be/_ECcQ9PpSE8?si=YreKkR_7_g2-IKnG

This is a 9 year old video of a military employee talking about the military buying chemicals to spray that are chem trails. But I am sure its probably nothing

Last edited:
Great video, but I believe the condensation depends entirely upon the atmospheric conditions encountered rather than your suggested causes.
On the contrary! If you patiently watch the videos in this thread you will see the differences in the condensation amount depending on whether the helicopter is climbing or hovering.

Not really. These are exhaust contrails due to extremely low temperatures on the ground, which are shaped by the rotor blades vortices. There are photos of helicopter contrails of this kind here at Metabunk.

The OP case is different but it is not novel, here is a previous similar video:

In this case, the trail clearly comes from the rotor blades.

This is no Chemtrail (did not exists), no contrail (it flying not high enough), its called aircondensation.

This is the phase transition from the gaseous state to the liquid state, building up droplets, not ice cristals, like cirrus clouds in high altitudes.

The probleme by me, that I could not see the first video on the top. Please could somebody doing a screenshot of the spraying by the helicopter, to make me a better visuell effort of it.

The real possibility to use a process militarily. This is associated with dropping small radar decoys. Doppler radar, which is also used in meteorology, then shows a cloud structure on the radar even though there are no clouds there. There has been a video about this on the Internet in Germany for a long time, because at this very moment the chief meteorologist of a public broadcaster in Germany is explaining on a monitor that these are not clouds, but that the German Federal Air Force is organizing a maneuver in which these radar decoys - Düppels are used, small strips of aluminum foil that are dropped there. You can then pick up these chaffs on the ground and see them visually. Perhaps someone could find this very old video.

This is no Chemtrail (did not exists), no contrail (it flying not high enough), its called aircondensation.
Contrail is a short of 'condensation trail'. This is condensation of water vapour from the engine exhaust and/or the air, and this is a trail left by a moving object. It doesn't matter how high it was flying.

Back