Venn diagram of irrational nonsense

Irrational Nonsense

The following website lists lots of non-scientific beliefs. Might serve as a good index of possible topics here.

[url]http://crispian
-jago.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/the-periodic-table-of-irrational.html?m=1[/URL]

Living in California, I've drifted a bit into believing in some of the 100 or so crank theories listed there. I admit I probably believe in 10% of the items. But I have friends that believe in like 110% of the beliefs. There are some that are not even listed yet. And I'm posting here because, these friends are very annoying. They will argue to death for theories I consider patently absurd.

That is, all these crank theories, well they're interesting in a two ways. What do they teach me about myself. What do they teach me about the people that believe in them. What I've come to is, that I'm glad the DSM-5 is coming out at the end of the month. And I hope it has a category for these annoying people. Because in all seriousness, my best cut at it is that these people have some complex of psychological problems.

I suppose there is a third benefit. It does sharpen our rhetorical skills to cross swords with them. They'll probably be showing up here in droves any time now... And at the end of the day, the people behind them are simply tiresome. Maybe they take up this stuff so people will think they're more interesting at cocktail parties. The only other solution I can think of is to invent even more ridiculous theories so we can laugh at them as they start repeating them. I'd really like to hear from some therapists as to the roots of these behaviors and if there is any cure. I've generally noticed that the people most into this stuff have big egos and narcissistic personalities. Their stock in trade is ad hominem attacks, so that could be a good way to bounce them from the forum and let us get some adult discussion done.

Also The Reason Stick: The Periodic Table of Irrational Nonsense Ver 3.0
http://crispian-jago.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/the-periodic-table-of-irrational.html?m=1

Here is a list taken from that table. I think we can add more to it. I'd never heard of Morgellians. And then their is the stuff from Ickes that the royal family are shape shifting alien reptiles.

creationism
alien visitations
crop circles
hollow earth
raelian
pleadians
loch ness monster
big foot
chupacabra
montauk monster
fairies
bunyrips