UFO above Pyramid of the Sun (Dec 2021)

J

johne1618

MUFON Report - Case 120321 - 2021-12-24 - Mexico City
While visiting the Teotihuacan ruins a few miles out of Mexico City, I saw and took a pic of a possible ufo. Right on top of the bigger temple. Zoom in as much as you can towards the top of the temple towards the left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think in terms of a more or less fusiform (tapered at either end) bug body, smoothed and elongated a bit by motion blur, with a bright blob of the moving, blurred wing above.

Think in terms of a more or less fusiform (tapered at either end) bug body, smoothed and elongated a bit by motion blur, with a bright blob of the moving, blurred wing above.
But I don’t see any sign of legs or antennae. Maybe they are too thin to see?

To me that looks like a hat...the guys below are wearing similar hats...

proxyEdit.jpg

And the guy circled in green kinda looks like he just thrown it and looking up...

I have a feeling it was quite windy, too
the fabric display on the left isn't blowing though.

To me that looks like a hat...the guys below are wearing similar hats...
how high can you throw a cowboy-ish hat? (tried googling it but no quick links)

if this guy is 6 feet i'm getting like 30 feet? to hat. note: i just held a notepad up to the pic and green guy was 2 lines high so marked very 2 lines... ie. likely not super accurate.

1642299260110.png

i'm assuming this is a bird
https://www.google.com/maps/@19.693...4!1sn5DiJOI4v_ZmgrE1QgEgDQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Screenshot 2022-01-15 212250.png

and this is a definite zoomed in bird
1642299879313.png
Screenshot 2022-01-15 211830.png

not saying the op is a bird, just showing how lil things distort in when zooming.

I have a feeling it was quite windy, too
SmartSelect_20220116-020853_Samsung Internet.jpg
I don't think so, look at the distortion of his lower legs and feet. I think that's an artifact of the wide-angleness of the lens, for which there is probably an actual term, smearing the image into the lower right corner there.

how high can you throw a cowboy-ish hat? (tried googling it but no quick links)

if this guy is 6 feet i'm getting like 30 feet? to hat. note: i just held a notepad up to the pic and green guy was 2 lines high so marked very 2 lines... ie. likely not super accurate.
I just looked at a couple of graduation hat throws on youtube ;) ...some of them go quite high up...I guess depending a bit on material and weight 20-25 feet should be doable...
Based on the guy closest to the cam on the right, I'd assume that most of the white hats in this picture are woven summer hats...those are pretty thin but have some weight...

MUFON Report - Case 120321 - 2021-12-24 - Mexico City
While visiting the Teotihuacan ruins a few miles out of Mexico City, I saw and took a pic of a possible ufo. Right on top of the bigger temple. Zoom in as much as you can towards the top of the temple towards the left.

Seriously? Looks like you have the Pyramid perfectly centered in the frame almost as if that was the real reason you took this pic. Lol. You would have actually zoomed in on your UFO if it was actually there. It’s a bug! Now go bring it to Jeremy Corbel

The legs of insects are generally tucked in during level flight, but it can be quite species dependent

Here's some insects "inflight", generally hovering or otherwise actually not in full bore flight I have taken using my pro level equipment the wings are still a blur even with the exposure speed being 1/8000 or faster (ignore shutter speed EXIF the exposure here comes from the flash)

Hoverfly Flight by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Some larger species have slightly slower wings that have a different pattern of movement, legs still tucked though. this is at 1/1600 no flash

Common Darter Flight by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Here's something more like the phone shot, but still recognisably an insect, this is taken at 1/2500 with a 560mm lens, the camera was focussing on the bird as it's impossible to see the insect, you know its there because the birds are obviously feeding on the wing, but you have to take high (20FPS bursts) to get a shot with the bird close enough that the insect is in the same focal plane (and get a bit lucky.) This species also is likely a beetle or some other species with a forewing case called elytra as you can see it in front of the main flight wing, the elytra is a modified forewing.

Graceful Gull by Aves Lux, on Flickr

You can see for this shot the body is dark and the wing is light and that's all you get colourwise, the image is not blurred for a few reasons , expensive telephoto lens, 45MP full frame sensor, the high shutter speed, subject presence in the DoF for the lens and also some other blur has been removed with AI sharpening tools that correct for motion blur. On a phone shooting a much lower shutter speed, you get a blur like you see in the OP.

Hopefully this shows why phones shots produce blurs of insects and what you need to do to actually see recognisable insects in flight.

Last edited:
Also here's a 10 hour video of cows in a field, if the pyramid photo is evidence of UFOs then this must be the holy grail. There are literally hundreds of these UFOs in this video.

Ignore the live event warning, the video is there

Source: https://youtu.be/-r8ROxXGXKw

Last edited:
10 hour video, made for dogs, just cows standing around in a field.
My most watched video plateaued at under 20k, most get just a few hundred

Sigh...

I don't think so, look at the distortion of his lower legs and feet. I think that's an artifact of the wide-angleness of the lens, for which there is probably an actual term, smearing the image into the lower right corner there.
I think it's fair to assume that it's windier at the top of the pyramid than at the bottom. Might there be people standing at the top who are too far from the leading edge to be visible to the photographer? A windblown hat might be a regular occurrence there!

I think it's fair to assume that it's windier at the top of the pyramid than at the bottom. Might there be people standing at the top who are too far from the leading edge to be visible to the photographer? A windblown hat might be a regular occurrence there!
It would certainly not be UNLIKELY for there to be more wind atop the pyramid than at the base. But it is also not too unlikely that there is no (or little) wind in either place. I'm not seeing anything in the pic to suggest wind, as the slanted fabric in the hands of the person at lower right looks like an artifact, and sadly there is not a handy kite flier on hand to establish wind higher up. Which is not to say there is no wind, just that I don't see any evidence regarding wind.

I guess a meeting of the minds on the feet may not be possible. Which would not change that we don't know anything about the wind when the picture was taken, as there would be alternate explanations possible for the fabric being flared out, if it us, such as a guy selling a fabric item displaying his wares dramatically in hope of a sale.

If local wind goes on to become critical, we can revisit it.

Yes. They'd also be moving.

Exposure time on this photo was 1/1089 s, so I wouldn't expect to see a lot of blur, if that's what you mean by "moving".

The photo was taken with an iphone 12, using the "ultra-wide" lens (f/2.4), so the idea was not to take a picture of the "UFO", but to capture the whole scene. Most likely the object was not noticed until later when reviewing the photos, otherwise the person would have used a different lens, zoom, tried to film it, whatever.

So, "I saw and took a pic of a possible ufo"? No they didn't.

A bug, a bird, a hat all these are more likely than a spaceship flying above the pyramid and no one cares. Sure, a few people are looking at the pyramid, but that's expected.

The image resolution is also quite disappointing. They uploaded a low-res version of the image. iPhones take 12MP (about 4000 x 3000 px) pictures, this one has a quarter of the number of pixels at 3 MP (2048 x 1536 px). This usually happens when they have Optimize iPhone Storage enabled in iCloud. The phone uploads the full-res version and keeps a low-res copy to save on storage space. Most likely this is what happened here... When they uploaded the image to whatever website this was, they did so with the version kept on their phone.

Back