Probably not Ison... (rocket launch remnant)

Pete Tar

Senior Member.
This was being said to be Ison remnants, but (the ghost of) Ison's current position is at sunrise not sunset so I was dubious.

Now theorised as rocket launch remains.

This photograph posted on December 7, 2013 was initially thought to show a cloud of debris left behind by Comet ISON, as seen from Fairhaven near Lorne, Victoria. Experts suggest it actually show a cloud that could have been the result of fuel venting from a rocket launch.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-...-sky-fairweather-lorne-victoria-stars/5142380
Content from External Source

This was being said to be Ison remnants, but (the ghost of) Ison's current position is at sunrise not sunset so I was dubious.

Now theorised as rocket launch remains.

I'd come across the photo and original ABC caption earlier but didn't get a chance to follow up at the time. Surely a case of mistaken identity -- comets' tails simply aren't straight and tidy like that.

There was indeed a satellite launch which might fit. [See: Atlas V launches NROL-39 from Vandenberg]

A couple of photographers had been commenting on ABC's corresponding Facebook post with their observations, and they both stated it was only visible for a short time before dissipating. Later, another shared this comparable image he'd taken after a SpaceX launch (Falcon 9). Seems like a much better fit.

Last edited:
Back