Please tell me these are contrails.

About these clouds only recently appearing in games, its only been the last console generation that it became common for skybxes (the sky texture usually projected on a sphere around the camera) to be made from real pictures of the sky. This is common for faces and objects as well, but until fairly recently it was rare even for faces and everything was generally hand drawn.

I would normally refer to altocumulus undulatus as mackerel skies but that article refers to alto and cirrocumulus.

http://ladyfi.wordpress.com/tag/mackerel-sky/
ok so its technically more the scaley look, then the 'spots' on the mackeral? (i'm only asking cause i plan on using that ditty for both, spotty clouds and scaley clouds-my job (with children) is to entice interest (and kids like lyrical stuff), not necessarily to be accurate. but i also dont want to be completely inaccurate!) on that note: are those 'mare's tails'? in Garys pic?

yea the altitude in the article didnt seem right. so they would need to be clumpier to be mackeral skies...only wondering cause i like weather ditties.
It does have some "mares tails" though (also in your ditty). The biggest being behind the the chimney.

It's a near hit.

Speaking of weather ditties:

"Red sky at night, sailor's delight;
Red sky in morning, sailors take warning".

That only applies to the northern hemisphere of planet Earth, though.

No, it's global.

Mare's tails hook there other way, though.
No, just kidding. They hook both ways in both hemispheres.
LOL

Oh come on Jazzy, he is clearly talking about the chimney belonging to the BAND.
BAND? (If that was a joke, I didn't get it).

Nope. I'm simply a typo nazi, as well as a grammar nazi. Mick emits loads of typos. It's very puckering.

Hi Garry. I suspect your depression isn't caused by chemtrails and so you are looking at what you perceive to be a danger in a hyper inflated way. It happens rather often and sounds like a common symptom of anxiety. I suffer from it terribly at times and despite it being caused by maternal issues I have a heightened fear of crowds. Strangely, I also had a massive panic attack whilst looking at a pair of green ladders, but I digress... If you're not already receiving care I'd try and muster up the courage to chat with your GP and let the contrails take care of themselves.

Hope you get well man.

Hi Garry. I suspect your depression isn't caused by chemtrails and so you are looking at what you perceive to be a danger in a hyper inflated way. It happens rather often and sounds like a common symptom of anxiety. I suffer from it terribly at times and despite it being caused by maternal issues I have a heightened fear of crowds. Strangely, I also had a massive panic attack whilst looking at a pair of green ladders, but I digress... If you're not already receiving care I'd try and muster up the courage to chat with your GP and let the contrails take care of themselves.

Hope you get well man.

I think that's a slight presumption my friend. I am not delusional.

People told others that they needed medication for plenty of beliefs that were later proven to be true.

I have reasons to be suspicions of the phenomenon in question but I genuinely needed some company on this matter and it is appreciated so I am not about to turn this thread in to a promotion of my beliefs.

I have reasons to be suspicious of the phenomenon
It seems illogical that each molecule of exhaust water can attract to itself ten thousand atmospheric water vapor molecules out of its surrounding air, but that is in fact what is happening. The factor can be greater than that, depending on the degree of supersaturation and the distance and time the agglomerating ice crystals spend falling through supersaturated conditions. This changes the trail's mass from pounds to tons.

It's possible for a single trans-USA jumbo flight to put 80,000 tons of fine white ice crystals into the skies. Possible, but unlikely, because supersaturated conditions rarely extend continuously over such a three-thousand-mile distance. They do, however cover two-hundred-mile distances quite frequently (about 17% of the time) which means that to affected onlookers the contrail would appear horizon-to-horizon.

This ten-thousandfold amplification of effect is counter-intuitive. The link's somewhere in Contrailscience and on the first page of jazzroc.wordpress.com

Regions of supersaturation in the earth's atmosphere seem to be associated with areas of relative stillness of the upper troposphere and lower stratosphere, where water vapor molecules, relatively unaffected by gravity, have had time to migrate upward from the relatively wet and turbulent lower troposphere by diffusion alone.

The general reduction in motion energy (and extended period of time) allow a greater dynamic packing of (ever-moving) water vapor molecules into the (ever-changing) spaces between (ever-moving) atmospheric gas molecules, in a form of cosmic billiards*. That's supersaturation. If you want the maths behind it then Ross Marsden's the guy you need. I think. :)

* In this case, sound waves impart (temporarily) energy to change all collision circumstances. Then they remove the energy as well. At 1:53.

Last edited:
People told others that they needed medication for plenty of beliefs that were later proven to be true.
What cases are these?

But even if we amend it to be something more general like 'people have been told they are wrong to later be proven correct', or 'what was thought to have been wrong has sometimes turned out to be correct', that still doesn't mean it can really have a logical place in any debate where you're being told you are wrong about something; because 'being told you are wrong' does not equal 'being later proven right'. It's a misleading trivia.

People have also been told they are wrong, and later have continued to be wrong.

So it (being thought wrong *sometimes* equals eventually being right) shouldn't be used as a justification for continuing to believe in something. Go with the balance of evidence.

Nobody said you were delusional Gary. YOU said you were depressed. There are plenty of reasons for depression. Medication can help, therapy can help, talking about your concerns can help.

If I was overly depressed about an asteroid hitting the Earth, then should I do nothing about my depression just because the issue is real?

I have reasons to be suspicions of the phenomenon in question but I genuinely needed some company on this matter and it is appreciated so I am not about to turn this thread in to a promotion of my beliefs.

Sorry if you felt that I was saying that you needed medicating, that certainly wasn't what I was intending from recommending a GP for your depression. I was simply suggesting that the worry component you mentioned may be a separate but linked aspect of a problem that you may or may not have.
I was merely tring to be supportive.

Back