Old UFO physical photograph, has anyone seen this one before?

Nullxata

Hey everyone,

Back some ten (give or take) years ago a friend of mine was in either north Georgia or south Tennessee and (they claim) they found this photograph at a yard or estate sale. They bought it for me as a gift. That is all the information I have. I recently found the original photograph going through old boxes and dug up my iPhone photos of it from last year. I've done just some cursory reverse-image searches but I don't recall finding the exact image.

Has anyone seen this one before? I'm considering framing it and putting it on a wall someplace for the conversations it'll start.IMG_8269.JPGIMG_8270.JPGIMG_8271.JPGScanned UFO Photo.jpg

Don't recall seeing that one before... but modern UFO aficionados would note the various orbs and ticktacks scattered around the pic.

Hey everyone,

Back some ten (give or take) years ago a friend of mine was in either north Georgia or south Tennessee and (they claim) they found this photograph at a yard or estate sale. They bought it for me as a gift. That is all the information I have. I recently found the original photograph going through old boxes and dug up my iPhone photos of it from last year. I've done just some cursory reverse-image searches but I don't recall finding the exact image.

Has anyone seen this one before? I'm considering framing it and putting it on a wall someplace for the conversations it'll start.IMG_8269.JPGIMG_8270.JPGIMG_8271.JPGScanned UFO Photo.jpg
Interesting picture. This print is on textured surface photo paper which says something, but I am not sure exactly what. I don't believe this type of paper was used before the 1970's (?), need to ask a photography buff. There appears to be text on the back, brand of paper maybe, but I don't have access to pic editing software at the moment and can't make it out.

This looks like an hobbyist print. It doesn't have dates or any other writing on the margins.

Circa 1975 era hobbyist prints, with equipment a hobbyist would typically have:

There were different types of paper; not going to get into that. But the texture comes from the dryer. The last step in making a print was running it through the dryer. The heated drum turns slowly; the endless canvas fabric roll turns with it via another roller under that fabric roll. The print goes through like laundry through a wringer.

(With the right kind of paper) you got a glossy if you put the paper on the fabric emulsion side up and the emulsion got squeezed against the drum. You got a matte print if you put the print on the fabric emulsion side down. The matte texture comes from the fabric pushing into the gooey emulsion. Different dryers have different fabric. Some finer weave, some coarser weave.
5792-d3f95b83183cb0d148586c5adf60fa87.jpg

Last edited:
Was this even intended to be a UFO hoax photo or a was it a kid taking pictures of his Frisbee? Or a teenage hobbyist photographer just playing around with making his own private pretend UFO photo?

There were quite a few Flying Saucer themed Frisbees and knock-off frisbees.
s-l650.jpg
shopping.png
s-l1200zzzz.pngs-l1200ssss.jpg

Attachments

• shopping.webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Interesting picture. This print is on textured surface photo paper which says something, but I am not sure exactly what. I don't believe this type of paper was used before the 1970's (?), need to ask a photography buff. There appears to be text on the back, brand of paper maybe, but I don't have access to pic editing software at the moment and can't make it out.
I think it's the standard "This paper manufactured by Kodak"

Confirmed. You don't even need to conrtast-boost the image to see it - definitely Kodak. However, it will jump right out if you play with the sliders, I'm sure.
Yup, just says "THIS PAPER MANUFACTURED BY KODAK"

1697060915477.png

According to this source that dates it sometime between 1972-1989:
Article:
In May 1972 the backprint was changed again, this time to “This Paper Manufactured by Kodak,” which lasted until around 1989. Selective overlining was introduced in addition to selective underlining in 1980, in order to accommodate new wider paper rolls (see Figure 2). In 1989 Kodak changed their model of a standard backprint for all materials to one of unique a backprint for each individual product line. This resulted in a multitude of new backprints that were often short-lived (Ward 1973, Keirstead 2008). A detailed chronology of Ektacolor backprints including images when available can be found in the chart “Ektacolor Paper Backprint Chronology” included at the end of this paper.

This was a popular book about UFOs in Britain in the 1980s. It includes a guide on how to make your own fake UFO photo. [See photo #5] Source: Usborne The World of the Unknown: UFOs (1977). [ISBN: 9781474992152]

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 00.18.56.pngScreenshot 2023-07-12 at 00.18.45.png
Other members have mentioned the book as well. The OP photo looks like it could've been made following this recipe. The UFO set at an angle and photographed against the sky are common features. And the time frame matches.

Yup, just says "THIS PAPER MANUFACTURED BY KODAK"

1697060915477.png

Article:
In May 1972 the backprint was changed again, this time to “This Paper Manufactured by Kodak,” which lasted until around 1989. Selective overlining was introduced in addition to selective underlining in 1980, in order to accommodate new wider paper rolls (see Figure 2). In 1989 Kodak changed their model of a standard backprint for all materials to one of unique a backprint for each individual product line. This resulted in a multitude of new backprints that were often short-lived (Ward 1973, Keirstead 2008). A detailed chronology of Ektacolor backprints including images when available can be found in the chart “Ektacolor Paper Backprint Chronology” included at the end of this paper.
Fascinating! I've looked very closely at the photograph under different lights and angles and I don't believe I see any underlining or overlining at all. So possibly, if I understand the Kodak study at the link correctly, this may narrow it down to between '72 and '80.

I have to say I love the old Usbourne books. Nice clear illustrations and some pretty good research into unusual subjects, such as UFOs, ghosts and science fiction.

Back