New here.

Kurioskate

Hello,

Have never joined a forum before so be gentle with me!

Was introduced to the idea of chemtrails by a couple of close friends, and since have had numerous arguments with them about this subject. Found myself watching far too many U tube clips, and wasted a few hours of my life reading about the big conspiracies to counter their claims. We have now ceased relations, they have become too manic for me to cope with. It seems to me that the world of conspiracy is like a religion or a mental illness, and if you don't support or agree with them, they will pursue any avenue to make the skeptic wrong.

But my reason for joining this forum is not to make myself right....but to ask no doubt a ridiculous question, that being....Who is the big 'They'?
'They' are poisoning us.
'They' are going to microwave us.
'They' will be able to read our minds, etc etc.
Is the big 'they' the government?
I really don't get it, the only answer i understand is that maybe some of these thoughts have been fuelled from a vivid imagination and a past smoking too much, or am I trying to make myself right!

There's a long history in the US of paranoia regarding those in power. The "they" refers to "The Powers That Be" (the PTB), which is not necessarily the elected officials, but a shadowy "elite". The composition of the PTB varies by theory, but most popular is international bankers. That particular theory has direct roots in the anti-semitism of 100+ years ago, and in particular to a hoax called The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

The classic 1964 essay The Paranoid Style in American Politics, describes some of the deeper history, and there are many books on the subject. Among the Truthers by Jonathan Kay is an excellent one, describing the style from its historic roots, up to present day JFK and 9/11 conspiracy theory.

I would like to confirm that this PTB thinking is not very wide spread in Europe, as far as I know.

In Germany, mainly the extreme left and right fringes of the spectrum are cultivating believes like this.

I would say that Europe has had its share of belief of people secretly running things behind the scenes. I would say that most of these beliefs of shadowy groups like Masons and Illuminati being behind the scenes powers, probably were invented in Europe.

Part of the reason of anti-Jewish beliefs in Europe, was that the Jews had too much power and were secretly in control of financial sectors.

You are certainly correct about the historic aspects.

I was referring only to the current state of things.

Yet you appear to suggest you have a "they". An unidentifiable entity of unimaginable power. The cause of all life's ills.

Sounds like a God.

Putting something in quotes, like "they", usually indicates some irony or skepticism about a subject.

And arguing by semantics is not incredibly productive.

Yet you appear to suggest you have a "they". An unidentifiable entity of unimaginable power. The cause of all life's ills.

Sounds like a God.

I have never said that I have any unidentifiable entity of any kind...with unimaginable power...which cause all of life's ills.

If you still have some contact with your close friends, you could always ask them who "they" are.

Back