New "black chemtrail" video

Well, I certainly appreciate your comment. Well spoken. The only way I can describe what I see in this situation is a high overcast. Cirrostratus. Like really high clouds (40K plus). The camera angle is deceiving. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert but I do see this phenomenon take place occasionally. To pretend like it's some weird new scientific event is odd in my opinion.

I agree with ya Pilot... Im not trying to suggest that its some new kind of science, but the more information we have about the pictures (especially the second one in question) the better able we can turn around and use it as evidence that its being used to perpetuate the chemtrail hoax instead of it just being an every day event. As I said, I have absolutely no doubt in your experience at all (Ive done a lot of reading on the site) but for the sake of all our sanity.. it never hurts to have more data points.

*edited for clarification, added "instead of it being an everyday event" to the second paragraph.

guys if you can debate and not get angry i'm all for it!!!

Let's talk! I'll never say I'm right...I have too much learning to take place.

Just please don't get offended if I speak my mind.

I dont take offense at all Pilot.. really.. takes a lot more than a few swear words to get under my skin.. and I have no issue with debate either, its enjoyable. For right now, though, I just dont have enough data at my disposal to really make any kind of intelligent argument for or against.. which is why Im going to do research. Im also at work, which kinda... limits.... my ability to check things out etc. After Im home and had a lil time to start picking things apart and reading/researching without interruption, Ill be more than happy to continue the discussion.

Well quit just asserting you are right. Let's explain the photos.

I've look at several barjillion photos and videos of contrails, including many taken from the cockpit, and I've never seen one like this. The contrail is far too dark in relation to the plane.

There's a red logo on the tail of the plane. Why is that brighter than the contrail?

Contrails are white. Planes are white. Why is the plane white and the contrail black? (Specifically looking at the photo here)

Well quit just asserting you are right. Let's explain the photos.

I've look at several barjillion photos and videos of contrails, including many taken from the cockpit, and I've never seen one like this. The contrail is far too dark in relation to the plane.

There's a red logo on the tail of the plane. Why is that brighter than the contrail?

Contrails are white. Planes are white. Why is the plane white and the contrail black? (Specifically looking at the photo here)
and that's the problem with me...it looks normal. The weird part is if you heard it from science professor from MIT you'd believe him. My point is I'm that science professor. It's normal!!!

I dont take offense at all Pilot.. really.. takes a lot more than a few swear words to get under my skin.. and I have no issue with debate either, its enjoyable. For right now, though, I just dont have enough data at my disposal to really make any kind of intelligent argument for or against.. which is why Im going to do research. Im also at work, which kinda... limits.... my ability to check things out etc. After Im home and had a lil time to start picking things apart and reading/researching without interruption, Ill be more than happy to continue the discussion.

Ok, fine...respectfully.

and that's the problem with me...it looks normal. The weird part is if you heard it from science professor from MIT you'd believe him. My point is I'm that science professor. It's normal!!!

I'm not look for "I see that all the time". I'm looking for: "It's black because ....".

Why is it black?

I think the difference there though Pilot is that the prof or scientist from MIT etc would also have objective data to prove the point and not just subjective data (experience).. which is what I think Mick's getting at as well. Explanations of how and why these events occur, what causes them.. how often theyve been recorded to occur etcetcetc.

Mick. You have no idea if there is a cirrostratus cloud obscuring protons thousands of miles away from the snapshot picture you're looking at. What is being observed is confusing yet if the full 360 degrees was observed it would be obvious. To me it is. Sorry if that doesn't make sense but it's like looking at the earth and saying it's flat.

Here's a black contrail:

This is perfectly understandable, and I imagine you see these all the time.

However, there's no illuminated ground, or a bright white plane.

What I want to understand is why the plane is bright white, and why the trail is so black compared to the plane and the ground.

Here's another. Also totally reasonable (although it looks a bit CG)

Last edited:
Guys I know you're all very intelligent and I'm not trying to say that I'm smarter than you because I'm not at all. What I want to say is that I've seen things that put me into perspective. I've watched many videos of NASA astronauts going in to space and I can only imagine they are much more informed about the world than I am. But let me tell you that I have spent thousands of hours watching airplanes flying around me and I'm going to tell you that...yes I am an expert at what you are seeing. It is normal contrails with different lighting. I'm not going to be all scientific because that's not who I am...but trust me. It's normal contrails. If you still distrust me, I'm sorry for you.

You can see the plane here, with the contrail darker than background cloud. Parts of the plane are quite bright white:

according to the guy who posted this video, below is 'allegedly' a still shot of the same scene. lots of shadows, but the smoke is black on the side of the plane not in shadow.
So the photo was taken on a separate camera? There's no part of the video that looks like that.

So the photo was taken on a separate camera? There's no part of the video that looks like that.

It could just be the same camera, but later. The angle looks very different though.

Exif and TIFF for the photo:

Date Time Digitized: Sep 11, 2013, 11:07:20 PM
Date Time Original: Sep 11, 2013, 11:07:20 PM
Exif Version: 2.3
Exposure Bias Value: 0
Exposure Mode: Auto exposure
Exposure Program: Landscape mode
Exposure Time: 1/350
File Source: DSC
Flash: Off, did not fire
FlashPix Version: 1.0
FNumber: 5.6
Focal Length: 55.4

Artist: Picasa
Copyright:
Date Time: Jan 9, 2014, 4:12:03 PM
Make: FUJIFILM
Model: FinePix S2980
Resolution Unit: inches
Software: Digital Camera FinePix S2980 Ver1.00
Content from External Source

Could it be the result of an auto light adjustment - it saw the background and decided that was the main part of the picture that needed to be seen so it adjusted the contrast accordingly, over-saturating the plane?

Could it be the result of an auto light adjustment - it saw the background and decided that was the main part of the picture that needed to be seen so it adjusted the contrast accordingly, over-saturating the plane?

I don't think so. The plane and the trail are quite small, and there's no real evidence of local adjustment if you pump the levels.

I can' think why the trail would get darker, yet the plane would get lighter, and the ground would just be hazy. It seems like it was manually adjusted.

I hate to keep adding to this but like justan keeps saying, on occasion, maybe just once a week, you can see... If the lighting and position is just perfect... A really black, smoky looking contrail. It's not in shadow, it's probably contrast created but there's some weird light deflection, reflection, defraction or something that makes it momentarily black. As the plane changes position it lightens up. You would initially swear that the plane is totally on fire then it looks normal again. It would take an optics and light expert to explain why or how it happens. And it's sort of rare to see anyway.

I hate to keep adding to this but like justan keeps saying, on occasion, maybe just once a week, you can see... If the lighting and position is just perfect... A really black, smoky looking contrail. It's not in shadow, it's probably contrast created but there's some weird light deflection, reflection, defraction or something that makes it momentarily black. As the plane changes position it lightens up. You would initially swear that the plane is totally on fire then it looks normal again. It would take an optics and light expert to explain why or how it happens. And it's sort of rare to see anyway.

The video did not look suspicious to me. But the photo just seems way more dark than I would have anticipated. I'm just trying to figure out if this is from photo manipulation, or some other reason.

Cool, could you and JustAn snap some pics for us to show this?

If you take a frame of the video, and do a fairly simple levels adjustment, you can get something that looks more like the photo, black trail and the plane remains white (and looks even brighter than before)

So it seems likely that they just took a photo, and did some manipulation to make the trail darker.

To adjust it, I picked the darkest spot on the contrail as the black point, then moved the midpoint and highlight input levels. Here's this with a slightly different version.

Last edited:
If you take a frame of the video, and do a fairly simple levels adjustment, you can get something that looks more like the photo, black trail and the plane remains white (and looks even brighter than before)

So it seems likely that they just took a photo, and did some manipulation to make the trail darker.

I think the plane may only look brighter due to the contrast. It looks to be the same to me in isolation.

theres something called HDR in photography now. HDR pics look to me like they were taken in Second Life for the most part, but its possible you'd get that effect? Still doesn't change the fact in the video the plane isn't at all in shadow even as it moves. my thought is the video is an iphone or something (note: I call every computer phone an iphone)

edit in the pic the plane appears to be moving away from us which makes the grey weird, where as in the video its possible its moving toward? us so the smoke is kinda behind it?

An even simpler adjustment is "auto contrast"

But a clue here might be that the EXIF data says it was edited in Picasa, which has an "I'm feeling Lucky" button to automagically improve a photo:

So I suspect the original photo looked pretty much like the video, and they did this.

Here's the Picasa IFL filter applied to an earlier photo:
Original:

IFL:

And again, original:

Picasa IFL

Back