New "black chemtrail" video

seems the iphone (4?) does have hdr feature for videos. not sure if that would give you that grey a contrail as in the video. hdr does make pure white (plane) whiter. we cant tell of course from this video clip as we don't know the real life cloud color. (pretty soon we'll never know whats real with all this new technology). http://vimeo.com/66859682

HDR works by taking more than one exposure (typically 2) and digitally combining them to give an extended dynamic range. As you can see in the example above, you can see more detail in the shadows, and also the highlights are less overexposed. It's an attempt to compensate for the fact that the dynamic contrast range available in a CCD sensor is much much less than the contrast range of conventional silver-based film. Human eyes in good condition have a much greater dynamic range than either, but extending it to that range requires a lot more exposures and makes the photograph look even more unreal-looking to eyes that are used to looking at photographs. Party because the monitor or printing medium cannot render the same contrast range as the original scene, and compressing it into that range just looks compressed and fake.

Sorry if this is all too basic for the audience.

So is there anything to be determined about time of day and sun angle from horizon in the original video, given that the second picture isn't the anomaly it appears to be?

Sorry if this is all too basic for the audience.

Not at all. The more basic explanation the better.

I missed this from the YouTube discussion:

Muzza Pratt

4 days ago

+AloysiustheGaul That was the video showing it as grey, the photos I took with a polarised lenses took out the glare and showed what we saw from our plane - black not grey. I can show you two photos of the desert below with a before and after shot, before the polarised lenses and then with the polarised lenses. You probably wont ask me to do that so I'll post it anyway. Here the last shot I took of the desert below before the polarised (that polarized for you North Americans)
Here is normal - https://www.metabunk.org/data/MetaMirrorCache/8fe5c9b541dbf72ea2c89a8871d7192e.jpg\
Same photo one minute later and polarised - https://www.metabunk.org/data/MetaMirrorCache/9c935e6bf744d01b4232ad6245b54be0.jpg
I hope that helps your confusion AloysiustheGaul.
Show less
Content from External Source

Last edited:
Well, all that exposure and HDR and levels stuff is well and good but in real life it looks black. And no, I can't take a pic as I work in the sim now mostly. I feel like a chemtrail believer right now. I don't know the explanation for it but I've seen it with my own eyes.

Well, all that exposure and HDR and levels stuff is well and good but in real life it looks black. And no, I can't take a pic as I work in the sim now mostly. I feel like a chemtrail believer right now. I don't know the explanation for it but I've seen it with my own eyes.

Which one of these do you think would be closer to what would be seen in reality?

it looks black even if the plane is full white?

it looks black even if the plane is full white?
Darkness is very relative in visual perception. For example here the squares marked A and B are exactly the same color and brightness.

So light grey might be perceived as dark grey, or even black.

Even in the high contrast image, it's not really black, more a dark grey. There it is with a solid black area underneath

But you naturally think of this as being created by black particles, like soot, so you think of it as black,

Darkness is very relative in visual perception. For example here the squares marked A and B are exactly the same color and brightness.

So light grey might be perceived as dark grey, or even black.

Even in the high contrast image, it's not really black, more a dark grey. There it is with a solid black area underneath

But you naturally think of this as being created by black particles, like soot, so you think of it as black,

: ) except B is in shadow. I guess it doesn't matter, its not like they would tint a chemtrail black (or grey) and be so obvious about it. Besides, the video poster obviously lived, despite being seen photographing it!

: ) except B is in shadow. I guess it doesn't matter, its not like they would tint a chemtrail black (or grey) and be so obvious about it. Besides, the video poster obviously lived, despite being seen photographing it!

Yeah, but:

The image on the right is the same image but two stripes (the same shade/brightness as A and B) have been added.

It's amazing(?)

Which one of these do you think would be closer to what would be seen in reality?
The one on the left. Full sun. In my mind the most common condition must be the other aircraft is between the sun and my position and the sun must be low and the other plane must be below me. And I want to say you have to view the contrail head on, or close to head on. I. E., the plane has to be pointed right at you or nearly so. There is some sort of process where the light is changed and some high contrast is there or something. Black!! Not gray, no shadows, black! I seen it with mine own eyes!

The one on the left. Full sun. In my mind the most common condition must be the other aircraft is between the sun and my position and the sun must be low and the other plane must be below me. And I want to say you have to view the contrail head on, or close to head on. I. E., the plane has to be pointed right at you or nearly so. There is some sort of process where the light is changed and some high contrast is there or something. Black!! Not gray, no shadows, black! I seen it with mine own eyes!

I don't think anyone is doubting what you say. I'm just trying to nail down the specifics.

Here thought the contrails is viewed side on.

Viewed head on (or tail on) the optical density of the contrail would be very high, making a light grey contrail be much darker, as less of the background would show though.

Last edited:
Yes, density makes sense. I don't think I've seen a video or picture that captures what I've (we've) seen. I can't recall seeing a "black" contrail from the side. Maybe justan has. I know I've never seen one from far away or from over my position that I can think of. So it must be a combination of density and contrast and one more light property that involves angles and something.

Update from Muzza Pratt, the creator of the video:
+Mick West Hi Mick, I'm all for that, the video is public. I had never even heard of a black Chemtrail before I filmed it. I was still unsure if the plane had a mechanical issue right up to the time I got home from Europe & I Googled it. From what I have found out so far is this is the only video of a Black Chemtrail unfolding up close and I'm also well aware that it goes against the gain of many.

It is what it is.

Mick copy an image of the video or one of the photos (screen shot is fine for the vid.) and run it in your photo editor. Play around with full light,highlights, shadows & so on. Tell me what you think.
+Mick West Hi Mick,

Just found your thread about the Black Chemtrail on metabunk.org I filmed and as there is quite a bit of debate going on I thought I can add in some details for you.

Firstly, the trail was not in a shadow of any kind and was extremely long. As they headed due north away from us I could see more and more of the trail all be it further away. I never saw the end as I was restricted by the starboard wing but would estimate the trail being well over 5 kilometers in length and all the same colour when the distance between us was to great to see any detail of significance. I was sure I took a photo of the huge length, but can't find it, maybe it's on my smaller camera and will look.

So no shadow no way, not even close.

The sky was blue with only distant clouds to my right(East) at about the same altitude and was reflecting brightly on the wing. No clouds up high on my side, but will concede that I could not know what was above and port of me, but that angle wont come into play here anyway. It was bright & had some direct sun on my side.

You guys are clever so will feed you some info to help you and me work this thing out.
OK, the GPS co-ordinates on the video camera were 33 31 '56.1 N - 44 21 '26.3 E. We were on Emirates flight EK135 which departed from Dubai at 9.50 AM on the 11th of September 2013 and landed in Venice at about 2.10 locale time. Travel distance is about 4480 km & from Dubai to the where I videoed the Black Chemtrail was roughly 1455 km. A quick estimate would have you about an hour into the flight making the time at say 11am. The trail is East of me so the sun is high but catching the far side high up of the plane and trail I was filming. That wont highlight the white of the plane as showen in both the video and photos.

Mick the time shown on my camera was New Zealand time and that is why that is incorrect.

You may post our correspondence in full and feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited:
Update from Muzza Pratt, the creator of the video:

Firstly, the trail was not in a shadow of any kind and was extremely long. As they headed due north away from us I could see more and more of the trail all be it further away. I never saw the end as I was restricted by the starboard wing but would estimate the trail being well over 5 kilometers in length and all the same colour when the distance between us was to great to see any detail of significance.

.[/ex]
huh. well at least it wasn't at 10:28, that would have been freaky. we would have had to switch this convo to supernatural phenomenon!

can the plane guys here track down the plane from the info the video guy gave?

did you direct him to your contrail site, he's still referring to them as chemtrails. if you google 'dirty exhaust' 'engine trouble' type searches, its perfectly reasonable to think its bad gas, or blown rings? unless an expert tells you the plane couldn't fly. or do all guys know that innately?

Update from Muzza via email
Hi Mick,
I always use 640 pixels to send photos as my connection is crap. Our internet speed is very slow compared to yours in the States. However I have attached it for you.
One more thing that might help if you take my word for it is, all the conversation that I could hear on the plane from other people was they were calling the trail black and were worried as we were. The word spread as people talked about it and I was not the only one taking photos, there will be other photos and or video out there. My wife was sitting next to me and can verify that.
HD Photo:
https://www.metabunk.org/sk/1DSCF0747.JPG

Close up:

This identifies the plane as Emirates Airline, possibly a 777

I'm no engineer except it looks like uncombusted fuel where the air/fuel ratio is oxygen rare. I would have thought the engines on that airliner wouldn't have lasted long as the turbine blades coated up.

I've only ever seen that dark exhaust from B-52's at Miledenhall.

Closer up:

The gap between the left engine and the darkness of the trail could indicate any of:

A) It's an oddly lit contrail, so the gap is a normal contrail gap
B) The left engine is pumping out black smoke, but the bright fuselage blows it out
C) The right engine is puming out black smoke, so it becomes visible behind and under the fuselage

It's quite hard to say for sure. Now A (contrails) seems the simplest explanation, and this is supported somewhat by the right contrail seeming possibly be staggered back at the same angle as the wings. But unfortunately detail is lacking.

Remember it looked rather different in the video:

Which lends considerable weight to the contrail explanation.

Yes, without any evidence whatsoever, I'm inclined to believe it's a problem of photography not representing true contrasts/colours and that it's a normal contrail.

Thinking about the science behind a contrail being so dark when viewed from the side. Looking at the video frame above.

It's hazy. The landscape and background are a long way off. Most of the light reaching the eye is is diffuse haze light, and not reflected light.

This haze light is relatively bright.

The contrail is facing roughly away from the sun (flying about north west), so it self-shadows itself to some degree, but most importantly it's blocking the haze light.

The plane is solid white, and above the contrail, so it's a lot brighter. There is very little haze between the plane and the camera, but many miles of haze behind it.

The polarizing filter on the photo makes this all look way more dramatic than it actually was.

Basically it's kind on an optical illusion. Here's a white plane leaving irrefutable contrails:

Nice blue sky, because there is no haze. But even here look at the brightness of the contrails, and the brightness of the plane.

The difficult thing here the three dimensional volumetric nature of the air, and the way it affects the light.

Thinking about the science behind a contrail being so dark when viewed from the side. Looking at the video frame above.

It's hazy. The landscape and background are a long way off. Most of the light reaching the eye is is diffuse haze light, and not reflected light.

This haze light is relatively bright.

The contrail is facing roughly away from the sun (flying about north west), so it self-shadows itself to some degree, but most importantly it's blocking the haze light.

The plane is solid white, and above the contrail, so it's a lot brighter. There is very little haze between the plane and the camera, but many miles of haze behind it.

The polarizing filter on the photo makes this all look way more dramatic than it actually was.

Basically it's kind on an optical illusion. Here's a white plane leaving irrefutable contrails:

Nice blue sky, because there is no haze. But even here look at the brightness of the contrails, and the brightness of the plane.

The difficult thing here the three dimensional volumetric nature of the air, and the way it affects the light.
but can the illusion be so strong with the naked eye?

Mick why are you placing an argument? It's technology. I has no replacement for the human eye. Your comment is weird.

I'm sorry if you're serious.

Given your prowess with technology you should be able to determine if this jet was having trouble...
I understand why Mick questioned your post. It's not sufficient to simply tell folk that you've lots of experience, have seen it loads of times, and it's just normal. It looks weird enough to deserve a proper explanation.

From an article in 1962. Taken from The Sixth Seat. Riding on a Victor Training Sortie by Humphrey Wynn

Most of our flying was at about 40,000ft (allowing for the difference
in quadrantal heights) and at that altitude the sky was quite
busy: once a Boeing 707 passed above us, at right-angles to our
track, heading south-eastwards, drawing from Fit Lt Lewis the
dry observation that he didn't think Anglia Control "were giving
us value for money today"; later a Vulcan shot below us on a
reciprocal in a wash of contrails, which at those altitudes look black.
Vulcan = Avro Vulcan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Vulcan

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1962/1962 - 0248.html

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1962/1962 - 0245.html

Back