Needs debunking: High altitude flight video with no curvature

AtomPages

I'm looking for help finding the source video shown from 2:10 - 2:38 in this post: Source: https://www.bitchute.com/video/M3M0JflLYIuG/

The claim comes at 2:31: "240,000 feet, engine cut off. At this altitude, we should be able to see the Earth's natural curvature. But where is it?"
Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 11.15.03 AM.png

I'd like to ideally find the original source of this clip, or the name of the aircraft.

Thanks!

The craft is New Shepard, Blue Origin's suborbital space tourism rocket. The specific flight was from 2016. The camera for this is on the top tank dome under the ring fin structure at the top of the booster, which stabilizes the booster during its tail-down freefall. I've marked the rough location on this image. There have been several design revisions and this might not be the exact one but the supports and the bottom edge of the ring should be largely the same viewed from inside the vent like this.

Edit: This image is from 2017. Checking the flight list it's either NS2 after its final flight or NS3 before its first flight. NS3 initially had this type of ring fin but later flew with a different design matching the crew-rated NS4.

1644101136785.png

The white part at the top of the frame is the ring fin itself. You can see its curvature in the unmodified video Mick posted. It's distorted but you can tell it's curving around the point of view. The "corrected" video was corrected specifically to straighten the horizon, but it twists the ring fin until it's curving in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
I'm looking for help finding the source video shown from 2:10 - 2:38 in this post: Source: https://www.bitchute.com/video/M3M0JflLYIuG/

The claim comes at 2:31: "240,000 feet, engine cut off. At this altitude, we should be able to see the Earth's natural curvature. But where is it?"
Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 11.15.03 AM.png

I'd like to ideally find the original source of this clip, or the name of the aircraft.

Thanks!

There is a hint that the image has been processed from the fact that the craft itself seems unnaturally distorted. Fish-eyes do distort things wierdly, but once you're used to that (I have a lovely lo-tech Belarusian one for my Canon), there's nothing that wierd about them, and the rectified versions of the images start to look like the odd things. Good call, Mick.

And had the bottom cropped off to removed any way of identifying the actual source easily.

Plus you need to get rid of anything that gives away your trickery. This is my attempt over half a cup of morning coffee but with the incriminating parts remaining :p

Untitled.jpg

Image height reduced by 50% and some messing around with the sliders of a lens distortion filter until the horizon looked level enough. I guess with another five minutes I could get pretty close.

Untitled.jpg

Image height reduced by 50% and some messing around with the sliders of a lens distortion filter until the horizon looked level enough. I guess with another five minutes I could get pretty close.
This is also informative in another way because the smaller the field of view is, the less curvature you see: zoom in on the horizon and it'll look straight at any altitude that a re-entry vehicle is going to reach.

Plus you need to get rid of anything that gives away your trickery. This is my attempt over half a cup of morning coffee but with the incriminating parts remaining :p

Untitled.jpg

Nice work! What does the landed view look like with the same settings? It would be interesting to see if it still looks "correct".

Nice work! What does the landed view look like with the same settings? It would be interesting to see if it still looks "correct".
It's a fish eye so it will still curve straight lines, just wont look as curved when it can't see as much of the horizon.

What does the landed view look like with the same settings? It would be interesting to see if it still looks "correct".
I don't remember the exact settings but something like this.
Untitled2.jpg

I placed it on a larger canvas this time so the edges don't get cut off as much.

Back