Need explanation: What kind of plane was that?

You know, usually, planes fly horizontally, at different altitudes, when seen from ground.

I however remember one occasion where the plane, and it sure looked like a plane with blinking lights, seemed to start out at the very horizon and just go up and up. It followed sky's arch, and as I continued watching it, it passed over me, then continued to the other side and just disappeared having done a full arch, on the other side of the horizon.

The size of the plane was not at all too distant. I could distinguish, I think 3-4 different lights, both white and red. It was dark so I didn't see the profile of the plane.

I've never seen anything like this either before or after, and was wondering, what was different about this plane?

WeedWhacker

You know, usually, planes fly horizontally, at different altitudes, when seen from ground.

I however remember one occasion where the plane, and it sure looked like a plane with blinking lights, seemed to start out at the very horizon and just go up and up. It followed sky's arch, and as I continued watching it, it passed over me, then continued to the other side and just disappeared having done a full arch, on the other side of the horizon.

The size of the plane was not at all too distant. I could distinguish, I think 3-4 different lights, both white and red. It was dark so I didn't see the profile of the plane.

I've never seen anything like this either before or after, and was wondering, what was different about this plane?
I believe what you witnessed was merely an optical illusion. (A trick of geometry, and viewer location).

Similar to how this airliner contrail (a horizontal, same altitude contrail) was mistaken for the contrail of a "missile launch":

http://contrailscience.com/los-angeles-missile-contrail-explained-in-pictures/

Pete Tar

Senior Member.
When you see a plane flying horizontally, from east to west, and you're facing it looking south, it flies across *your* horizon. Now imagine what someone who is under that plane facing east where it is coming from would see as it goes west - it would arc over their head, appearing to go 'up'.

deirdre

Senior Member.

it just seems like its going up because at the horizon the lower part of the sky is hidden.

its harder to see in a photo but my clouds are doing that exact same thing right now. they appear to be 'going up' as they get closer to me (like a 45 degree angle.).

angle.JPG

deirdre

Senior Member.
now ive got more a stair effect. maybe easier to see. these arrowed clouds are all at the same height basically. (horizontally)

shark.png

Pete Tar

Senior Member.
As the earth is a sphere then strictly speaking a plane flying towards you from the horizon is lower than you and does gradually fly 'up' above your level as it approaches.

Hihihi, I liked the shark. OK so this actually happens, I just was directly on the plane and was facing it when it was coming towards me. that makes sense. oki this one is solved then. thank you

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Patrick Gonzalez Need help explaining: NASA images of Earth from 2017 eclipse show different shadow sizes Flat Earth 2
S Need help to identify an object in the sea Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 1
Pumpernickel Need Debunking: Foucault's Pendulum debunked through Mach's principle (the Earth is a static object in the center of the Universe) Science and Pseudoscience 13
H Need Debunking: Hernando County platforms from more than 10 miles Flat Earth 9
Qulaey Two problems need help debunking and debating tips? please. Flat Earth 9
mudr0 Why do spacesuit-wearing astronauts need blankets after returning to Earth? Science and Pseudoscience 5
mudr0 Need Debunking: Video claiming zigzaggin objects and movement prove EVA filmed in pool General Discussion 33
vooke Need debunking: Writings in the sky Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
Bunkmeister Need help with calculating vertical speed of ascending shadow at sunset Flat Earth 13
ConfusedHominid Need Debunking (Claim): Metabunk Curve Calculator Does Not Calculate for Angular Size Flat Earth 13
MikeG Police Don't Need HS Diploma General Discussion 1
Truthful New published physics article points out NIST limitations and need for new investigation. Conspiracy Theories 3
SabreSaint Need Debunking: CERN To Recreate Big Bang Science and Pseudoscience 26
M Need help debunking a picture [Four Jets in Formation, Leaving Contrails] Contrails and Chemtrails 12
vooke Need debunking:Ebola conspiracies video Conspiracy Theories 10
M Need help debunking this [Low Altitude Survey Flight] Contrails and Chemtrails 6
derwoodii [Debunked] Jeff Rothschild. In order to finalize the New World Order we need a 3rd world war [Fake] Quotes Debunked 6
zebra100 Need 3/8/14 Andaman Sea Sat Photos to Verify Malaysia Woman Saw Downed MH370 Flight MH370 85
SabreSaint Need Debunking: Blackwater Deployed To Ukraine? Conspiracy Theories 37
Clock Debunked: "All we need is the right major crisis and the nations will accept the NWO" Quotes Debunked 12
H Need someone savvy on the holocaust Conspiracy Theories 36
D [Possible explanation] Kevin Day (Nimitz tictac ufos) radar encounter UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 1
C Explanation Strange contrail like structures over English Bay, Vancouver 8:30 PM Aug 5 Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Mick West Debunked: NIST's Lack of Explanation for WTC7 Freefall [They Have One - Column Buckling] 9/11 38
Harish Explanation needed for the decrease in size of USA in NASA's picture from space taken in 2012-13 Conspiracy Theories 2
Greylandra Faked moonlanding picture or is there an explanation? Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 21
Marin B Garrett Graff : "Bungling" is a more likely explanation for government conspiracy theories Conspiracy Theories 7
D [MoreInfoNeeded]Germany NewsTV: Explanation for radar cloud Contrails and Chemtrails 14
Balance Trails of a different kind Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 9
Related Articles

Related Articles