Myrtles Plantation 'Ghost' Photo

Scaramanga

No doubt some of you may have seen the new Files Of The Unexplained series on Netflix. Episode 2 relates to the Myrtles Plantation in Louisiana, and starts out with an alleged ghost photo taken by Denise Kidder. I got hold of a copy of the photo from elsewhere rather than screen shot Netflix....and here it is...

Myrtles.jpg

Personally I think the 'ghost', or at least definitely the bottom part of it....the 'skirt' of the ghost.... is a distorted reflection of the lampshade on the left. Part of the 'head' of the alleged ghost seems to also be reflected in the second mirror on the right. It's hard to work out what angle the mirrors are actually at, but the main one does seem to be at an angle such that the lamp shade would be reflected.

( EDIT : It seems the 'mirror' is not actually a mirror at all....as you can clearly see right through it and the door behind lines up perfectly with the rest of the room. So I'd change 'mirror' to pane of glass )

Last edited:
No doubt some of you may have seen the new Files Of The Unexplained series on Netflix. Episode 2 relates to the Myrtles Plantation in Louisiana, and starts out with an alleged ghost photo taken by Denise Kidder. I got hold of a copy of the photo from elsewhere rather than screen shot Netflix....and here it is...
you need to provide more info than that if you are gonna use a show most of us dont have access to. what room is that? what date? etc.

you need to provide more info than that if you are gonna use a show most of us dont have access to. what room is that? what date? etc.

The episode itself does not give that information. The lady talks about 'going round the bed', so its clearly in a bedroom, but that's about it. No date, no time, no exact room. Other sources merely state 'recent'....

https://973thedawg.com/incredible-n...e-ghost-photo-taken-by-lafayette-woman-photo/

Incidentally that source also seems to think its a 'mirror'....but it is quite clear from the photo that unless there is some incredible coincidence of line up with the door behind...it cannot be a mirror.

Last edited:
this is a reflection (in mirror over fireplace) of the screen on the opposite end of the dressing screen, but i see the same general shape in 2020.
1712192421860.png

Screenshot 2024-04-03 203216.png

Yes....in the Netflix episode she comes in the white door at the end, walks round the bed, and then says she took one last photo before leaving the room, and yes, she must have been exactly where your arrow ends.

I could not help but notice that on Netflix the lady is wearing a white t-shirt with short sleeves. As the 'ghost' photo is one of those ' I was looking through my pics later' type things.....my verdict is the the upper part of the 'ghost' is actually a reflection of the lady herself, in the same white t-shirt, and the 'skirt' of the ghost ( which does not perfectly line up with the rest of the body ) is a reflection of the lamp shade. So the 'ghost' is largely an optical illusion. You can even see that one of the 'arms' of the ghost is really actually part of the door.

If you look more closely at the 'face' of the ghost...you can see the left hand side is obscured. Exactly as it would be if it was a reflection of a right handed person holding a camera up to their face.

Last edited:
that would do it.

but there is weird blob on the ghosts chest area. i dont know how the light would be hitting this thing, but I'm going with the vase on the mantle
1712193305780.png

My impression is, the lady would have been standing literally right in front of that vase, or at the very least only slightly to one side of it. The angle is literally perfect for a back reflection of whoever is looking that way. Even though it is a pane of glass and not a mirror, you can clearly see in your photo of the entire room how that particular pane reflects the window in a opposite wall of the room.

My impression is, the lady would have been standing literally right in front of that vase, or at the very least only slightly to one side of it. The angle is literally perfect for a back reflection of whoever is looking that way. Even though it is a pane of glass and not a mirror, you can clearly see in your photo of the entire room how that particular pane reflects the window in a opposite wall of the room.
i think if it was the lady her shirt would be bigger. it's a fairly small pane of glass.
plus the whole bottom of the 'ghost' is actually just the door frame behind the dressing panel.

this local? station filmed..maybe you could track it down and wed get more shots?
Screenshot 2024-04-03 202941.png

The angle is literally perfect for a back reflection of whoever is looking that way.

Hmm...I just tested that and its not quite that simple. Having the reflective surface a little to the left of the centre of view does help...but it really does not take much of an angle to lose the reflection. This is where I bow to those with greater knowledge of reflections, etc. The question is, what angle is the pane of glass actually at. I added a red line in the enhanced pic below to give some idea....I estimate about 20 degrees.

m1.jpg

Last edited:
i think if it was the lady her shirt would be bigger. it's a fairly small pane of glass.

As the glass panel is so close to the door, that means the visible part of the 'ghost', the reflection itself, is actually only about 18 inches in height ( the doors seems to be about 8 feet high ). But clearly the 'true' height depends on how far way the thing is that is being reflected. But I think you may be right and its the vase, and the 'neckline' of the ghost is simply ferns in the vase.

Though the image looks sort of female shaped, I couldn't help notice the black man (show presenter?) is wearing a white shirt of some sort (we can't see the sleeve colours).

He's got a high forehead a bit like the "head" in the reflection (as I see it).
I'm kind of wondering if he slipped off his jacket, and maybe had a mic pack or something under his shirt.

1d.JPG

Maybe there's something between him and the glass that sort of eclipses his shirt on each side, giving the impression of a trim female figure.

1e.JPG1e.JPG

Hmm. Bit of a long-shot, admittedly.

As the glass panel is so close to the door, that means the visible part of the 'ghost', the reflection itself, is actually only about 18 inches in height ( the doors seems to be about 8 feet high ). But clearly the 'true' height depends on how far way the thing is that is being reflected. But I think you may be right and its the vase, and the 'neckline' of the ghost is simply ferns in the vase.
not sure if this lamp thing helps at all. (camera is obviously on a small step ladder) but we see the lamp about middle of panel but also the lamp reflected right near the vase in the mirror. (not sure if this means the vase would line up if we moved to the other side of the room, but it seems to be roughly pointing at the vase.)
1712199246491.png

He's got a high forehead a bit like the "head" in the reflection (as I see it).
I'm kind of wondering if he slipped off his jacket, and maybe had a mic pack or something under his shirt.

This is the story behind the photo:

Myrtles Plantation Ghost Picture Of Chloe

Lafayette Real Estate Agent Denise Stutes Kidder was recently on a tour at the Myrtles Plantation and may have snapped one of, if not the best picture of Chloe's ghost that anyone has ever seen.

We spoke with Denise to get her account of exactly what happened the night she took this photo at the Myrtles Plantation.

"I’m not sure how much I believe because, I have never had an experience, which I’m perfectly happy.

So during the tour, I took very bad and random pictures with no flash at night. I was pretty let down after the tour because I didn’t feel a ghost, see a ghost, or get my earring stolen as they suggest.

Sunday evening while looking through our weekend pictures I saw this one.

I immediately tried to find an explanation.

I was the last to walk out of the room besides the host who locks the door. I reviewed everyone’s clothes in other pictures - nothing.

The size and clothing doesn’t fit anything that could have been in the room that I can figure out.

They mentioned in the tour that people were small
and there was a little tub that they used in the room which explains the size of this person."
Content from External Source
source: https://1033thegoat.com/ixp/33/p/in...e-ghost-photo-taken-by-lafayette-woman-photo/

Last edited:
I was the last to walk out of the room besides the host who locks the door.
If her memory is correct, I guess the man(?) in the pinkish shirt and light shorts on the right would be the host?

Adding for reference here since OP appears to be the brightened image.

Article:
Below is the original photo Denise took at the Myrtles Plantation.

Take a good look at the mirrored paneled room divider.

Myrtles Plantation Chloe Ghost Picture

(not sure if this means the vase would line up if we moved to the other side of the room, but it seems to be roughly pointing at the vase.)

There's two identical vases. If the lady is standing by the one nearest the door then the other one would be to her right, which would make it in a far better position to be reflected. I did a few tests and could not get a reflection of myself off a mirror angled at more than about 15 degrees ( there's probably a geometrical formula for this somewhere ) and I think the glass is angled more than that....which makes it unlikely its a reflection of the lady herself.

Adding for reference here since OP appears to be the brightened image.

What's interesting is there is not just one 'ghost' but actually two, as it seems there is a second ( partial ) reflection of the top of the same thing in the second pane of glass along. But that in turn would prove it is a reflection and not a ghost.

the Great Day Louisiana [color insert] was uploaded to youtube Jan 6,2023 (note the black cloth still over the dressing screen)
The real estate agents Instagram she uploaded the photo Oct 4, 2022. "on a recent tour of the Myrtle plantation, I may have captured a friend".

heres pic of the dressing screen next to the mantle.

It's the vase.
1712245656583.png

mpla001.jpg

I think you're all looking the wrong way. From the top of the reflecting glass you can see it is angled away from the photographer, such that it's unlikely to be her image. (Red line shows the perspective). But angle of incidence equals angle of reflection, and thus whatever it is showing it must be something or someone to her right and probably behind her ...and we are not shown that end of the room at all.
IMG_2406.jpeg

Here's a diagram from above, for clarity. What or who is being reflected MUST be to the right of the photographer since the glass is angled to her right.
IMG_2407.jpeg

I think you're all looking the wrong way. From the top of the reflecting glass you can see it is angled away from the photographer, such that it's unlikely to be her image. (Red line shows the perspective). But angle of incidence equals angle of reflection, and thus whatever it is showing it must be something or someone to her right and probably behind her ...and we are not shown that end of the room at all.
IMG_2406.jpeg

Just looking at the shadows I think we can say that the main light source is above and to the right and probably the chandelier, and there isn't much natural lighting which would explain the relative darkness of the original photo.

What's interesting is there is not just one 'ghost' but actually two, as it seems there is a second ( partial ) reflection of the top of the same thing in the second pane of glass along. But that in turn would prove it is a reflection and not a ghost.
Well spotted! Though I suppose a dedicated ... ghostologist? ... could claim both are a reflection of a ghost across the room! (Do ghosts cast reflections?)

But yeah, it's a reflection, either of a person or pareidolia causing the reflection to look like a person, or I suppose a ghost. Since we know people exist, and at least one was in the room to take the picture, and that objects in the room of about the right color/shape/position existed to be reflected, and that pareidolia exists and can be striking (see below), but do not know that ghosts exist, I think the ball is firmly in court of the ghost believers to show why it HAS to be a ghost and can't be any of the other things.

My favorite example of how strong pareidolia can be. I'm sure I've shared it somewhere on here before, but here it is again!
pareidolia_jesus.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a diagram from above, for clarity. What or who is being reflected MUST be to the right of the photographer since the glass is angled to her right.
IMG_2407.jpeg

Here's my rendition of it.....the lady is actually on the exit door side of the bed ( she says so in the Netflix video ) and you can even see that bed directly in front of her in the photo. She is near the door, on the door side of the bed.....

Myrtles_2.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my rendition of it.....the lady is actually on the exit door side of the bed ( she says so in the Netflix video ) and you can even see that bed directly in front of her in the photo.
You may be right about her position; I apologize, I thought she said she came around the bed. But I repeat, angle of incidence equals angle of reflection, and your diagram won't work unless the glass is tilted almost completely toward her. And i think it is much too large an image to be that vase at that distance. As you've drawn it, it would reflect something in the direction of the green arrow.
IMG_2409.jpeg

You may be right about her position; I apologize, I thought she said she came around the bed. But I repeat, angle of incidence equals angle of reflection, and your diagram won't work unless the glass is tilted almost completely toward her. And i think it is much too large an image to be that vase at that distance. As you've drawn it, it would reflect something in the direction of the green arrow.
IMG_2409.jpeg

IMG_2409.jpeg
The YouTube video Deirdre linked to reveals a pair of French doors topped by Valance curtains in the corner of the room. This is roughly where your green arrow is pointing. I think that this could be what is reflected in the glass, possibly with the bottom of the chandelier creating what appears to be a face and neckline.

Here's my rendition of it.....the lady is actually on the exit door side of the bed ( she says so in the Netflix video ) and you can even see that bed directly in front of her in the photo. She is near the door, on the door side of the bed.....

Myrtles_2.jpg
i agree with your placements..but there is a door over here. just fyi
1712256700481.png

Myrtles_2.jpg

ok 1. your bed is too long or your fireplace is too close to door. (see pics, the bed doesnt come out halfway of fireplace)

this guy is at bottom of bed and look at the bed angles

1712260184359.png
1712260939751.png

Last edited:
The YouTube video Deirdre linked to reveals a pair of French doors topped by Valance curtains in the corner of the room. This is roughly where your green arrow is pointing. I think that this could be what is reflected in the glass, possibly with the bottom of the chandelier creating what appears to be a face and neckline.

The true angle of the mirror is actually more like the blue line I have added....

Myrtles_2.jpg

The true angle of the mirror is actually more like the blue line I have added....
That looks pretty good. But of course the screen is moveable (as are all the other furnishings) and thus we will never be able to go back and check it. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted! :)

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted!

It is actually fun to go through all the possibilities and eliminate some, strengthen others, and collectively hopefully come to a consensus on what's most likely. I'd love for ghosts to be real....but I've yet to ever see a single convincing photo or video.

2024-04-04_12-14-45.jpg

It looks very much to me, in the close up better quality, to be some random juxtaposition of light and objects, in combination with the background behind the glass, that just happens to look a bit like a torso.

It looks very much to me, in the close up better quality, to be some random juxtaposition of light and objects, in combination with the background behind the glass, that just happens to look a bit like a torso.
the vase is only the pink part
1712274747222.png
you can even see the "ruffle" of HER right cap sleeve. everythign to HER left is just the door jam. and her bottom is mostly door jam and maybe a bit of lamp shade.

but her "face" and "neckline" and shirt is the vase.
bb.png

the glass is further right then the camera [but he's the closest to position we've found] so my vase shot above (b&w) needs to be rotated left.
1712275133987.png

i watched a tour from 3 months ago and everything is the same. do you know anyone who lives in Louisiana? they could take the tour. (day tour)
There are a number of photographs of the room on this thread, and things like chairs, candlesticks, the doll on the mantle, and the screens themselves have been seen in various different places. And since of necessity we can only see half a room at a time, we have no way of knowing what the exact setup was and what was in the unseen part of the room when that photo was taken. I don't know exactly what it was, but I'm pretty confident there was no"ghost" in the room, aren't you?

And since of necessity we can only see half a room at a time, we have no way of knowing what the exact setup was and what was in the unseen part of the room when that photo was taken
so if you know someone in Louisian they can go there and if the vases are still on the mantle just stand near the old doorway (approx mid-bed) and take a pic of the glass screen.

who cares what the rest of the room looks like. if they moved the vases, then yes we wont have proof..but chances are they havent.

I don't know exactly what it was, but I'm pretty confident there was no"ghost" in the room, aren't you?
i do know exactly what it is. but if you dont know, then people shouldnt be saying "oh its probably just light play and some unknown objects in a reflection".

How about with "Go Fast" i just say "oh its probably just a balloon and parallax.
Or "Gimbal" .."oh its probably just the backend of a plane and a trick of the camera".

Metabunk is about trying to find actual answers and trying to figure out ways to convey those answers to the audience.

Back