Mike Metzger has an interesting blog about his exit from the truther movement:

http://extruther.blogspot.com/

Here's his initial explanation of his change of heart/mind:

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
I think the key bit there is:

Debunking works. That's the message. At the very least it helps people pull themselves out of the mental hole that they often find themselves in. When people start to genuinely question everything then they will find debunking sites a very useful resource.

Also note how he originally perceived the anti-truther literature as just "personal attacks". That's the mental wall I'm trying to avoid with the politeness policy.

jvnk08

Senior Member.
Mick said:
Also note how he originally perceived the anti-truther literature as just "personal attacks". That's the mental wall I'm trying to avoid with the politeness policy.
Personally I think that is one of the most(perhaps the most) beneficial attributes of Metabunk. Any debunking site can benefit from such a policy, though I see a few out there that seem more devoted to making fun of the conspiracy crowd. That's good for a laugh and whatnot, but if they're interested in actual effective debunking, their discourse suffers without enforcement of polite dialogue. RationalWiki is a great example of this. They provide tons of verifiable evidence and logically consistent arguments, but there's a lot of unnecessary snark as well.

On Metabunk, I think it's made the difference between people leaving with their rock-solid beliefs in conspiracy theories intact versus questioning those theories just as they would the "official story".