Isolation: How will you pass the time?

im so thankful im still working dropping trees and Arb stuff as so many are out of work & $$ or stood down or ISO home detention id be going cabin fever beyond bored

I did this dead pine drop today for no $$ & said just pass it forward when you can

thumbnail_IMG_20200426_110546.jpg

Did a zoom catch up last nite with me bowling mob of mates so we created our own online game..

thumbnail_IMG_20200424_183227.jpg

There are a few seasons of Q.I on Tubi (all free all the time), if anyone is looking for interesting TV.

I'm inventing recipes..... little by little.
Today, I bought two same-sized food items, and wondered if they would taste good together ??

20200507_155021[1].jpg

AKA... "Milano Accilughe".... now a classic Italian apertivo.
(the beginnings of Cabin Fever)

Last edited:
cleaning out the shed i found the kids archey set,, well its given me something to do on my paddock as my target rifle club gonna be closed least one more month..

oh no sheep were harmed, this was just set up picture..

thumbnail_IMG_20200503_164323.jpg

Currently, I am trying (and failing) to read Albert Camus's "The Plague." It's not a bad book, I just have a short attention span. Other than that endeavour I've been listening to music, watching stuff on YouTube and reading news articles. Not all that interesting.

I'm bucking down and actually learning how to do things in Blender.

Metabunk 2020-05-10 21-11-58.jpg

Haha, me too xD It's a whole world by itself, in two months I guess I've learned about 2% of what I should learn.. This is the best thing I did (following an excellent tutorial by BlenderGuru). Not that bad, considering my drawing skills are about those of a five years old child:

Donut_rendered.png

Now I'm trying to create a small library of grasses and plants.. it'll take some time xD

Last edited:
Must say my work ("teleworking") is keeping me more busy than I expected, but hey it keeps you productive, I guess.
Other than that, I did some small renovation in the kitchen..

One thing I've been doing that I didn't do before is watch those late night American comedy talk shows like John Oliver, Trevor Noah, Stephen Colbert, and Seth Meyers: seems like a good lighthearted way to stay up to date on the latest goings on, without investing too much time . But, man, I gotta say, they're kind of tiresome: same jokes, same stories, same not-very-good Trump impersonations, and same going on and on and on about the silly-haired guy (and his family). Almost makes me wanna vote for him, they bleat so much.

I also dipped a toe into the so-called "lamestream fake news media" of CNN and MSNBC. I was expecting it to be somewhat normal, kinda like the BBC with different accents, and figured all the right-wing hatred for them was just strange irrational hysteria. But how wrong I was: it was actually incredibly "lame", whiny, and horribly biased, and again had the (I'm sure) unintended effect of making me think, jeez, I would actually vote for this guy just to shut these people up.

I'm sure they're all just preaching to the choir - but, if not, I wonder if they're responsible for any sort of 'backlash' effect?

Some restrictions easing and others getting worse in Los Angeles County. Some beaches and trails are open now, but you have to wear a mask any time you're outside your house. That apparently includes your back yard and car. Instead of all that, I finally got all the parts I needed to install lighting in my 1962 mechanical slot machine. Finished that last night:

IMG_5457.JPG
Couldn't find original parts for the lighting, so I bought a couple strips of LED's and a transformer and had an artist research 60's era low-voltage bulbs so she could paint the 50 LED's with the proper color. Tonight I'm using rubbing compound on all the chrome to see if I can brighten it up a bit. Maybe put it out on the sidewalk and see if I can earn a few quarters to pay for that haircut once it's legal again.

Well I haven't been around in a while, having realized the futility of debunking chemtrails..... but I have been reading the Coronavirus threads lately. I am a real estate agent and have been deemed non essential in NY. I had been following the virus from the beginning and cancelled a plane trip in January (leaving Kennedy INTERNATIONAL!! Nope nope) and in Febuary cancelled a seminar I was to attend in Brooklyn at the end of March when I noticed santizer and cleaning products disappearing. I stopped going to my office in early March and started stocking up because the first case on LI was near where I live at a brewery (tourists from NYC I'm sure). He infected his Uber ride to the hospital and the Uber driver brought the infection into the nursing home where she worked part time. My friend's husband who diagnosed the brewery guy was also infected and spend 3 weeks. Basically I spent the first 4 weeks of lockdown kind of freaked out and afraid I would get it any minute now. I did get my continuing education done (most of it), mostly I walked miles and miles on deserted (cold) beaches and in every state and county park on the North Fork of Long Island (all thankfully deserted, till now). I painted, did jigsaw puzzles and finally started gearing up for business again when we do open up. I am extremely disheartened to see what is happening in the US, with the armed "militias", the rampant spread of conspiracies and disinformation, the number of people in my own little town repeating it..... I long for the days when I'd tell my acquaintences that there are people who don't believe contrails are contrails, but that planes are loaded with chemicals and sprayed out to change the climate/drop nano particles on us to be activateded by 3G/poison us/innoculate us (or whatever it was they believed that year).... and had those people walk away from me going "oh come on, NO ONE BELIEVES THAT CRAZY STUFF!!" Now those same people are telling me we have to get out of the house because we'll have no immune system if we don't.

One of my favorite places to walk where I won't see anyone.hoodoos.jpg

im not sure how to,, but i will try
I have a new weird FB interface.. but if you have the same...
go to your profile page by clicking on your name in top header bar (right hand side).

then choose video ( i only have photos so i picked photo)
1589636517448.png

click on the photo or vid you want to access...then click the 3 little dots to the very right and "edit audience". Then choose "public".
1589636408631.png

ISO in Victoria Australia is pretty much over so we bought a new car took it for spin,,, ( ok its been a 3 year plan) but handy timing.

other note in hospitals visitors are restricted in our circumstance 1 per person day only and at aged care facility Gov are say all visitors must get current flu vax shot and show proof this predicable giving anti vax mob position to argue

I am a kite maker in normal times, so have switched over from sewing kites to sewing face masks for local hospitals and clinics, as well as giving some to family and friends. Fill free time with decorating the yard to give house-trapped feeling folks in the neighborhood something interesting to look at, and learning to spin poi from lessons on YouTube.

Attachments

• image0 (002).jpeg
    image0 (002).jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 404
my state Victoria Australia has had terrible spike in Covid cases and the government has had to implement stay at home restrictions again so its back to 6 weeks or more of stage 3 lock down,, no going out unless conforms with 4 basic rules. At least for now im allowed local fishing & golf so a few pastimes to enjoy but no snow skiing or target club shooting. Glad my jobs taken as essential service so 5 days a week i get out of tidy home as I have pretty much run out of honey do chore list i may have to dig deep or invent some,,, i can say my paddock archery skills has improved

Working out of town, ...and loving to cook to pass the Covid hours, I have gathered many essential kitchen tools.....doubles of what I have at my (LA) home base.
Question is, "what do I do with these knives, bowls, food processor, etc ?" when I travel back home ?
All are stored in a lockable Knaak tool box inside Elon Musk's garage.

Victoria Australia has moved to stage 4 from tonite more restricted movement and a night time curfew.

Melbourne placed under stage 4 coronavirus lockdown, stage 3 for rest of Victoria as state of disaster declared

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08...ctions-imposed-death-toll-cases-rise/12515914

Sweeping new restrictions, including a night-time curfew, will be imposed across Melbourne under stage four restrictions from tonight and regional Victoria will move to stage three restrictions from Thursday.
Content from External Source
So lucky me i got in some kayaking & fishing this & last weekend

http://devilbendandbitternreservoirs.weebly.com/

Devilbend Natural Features Reservoir is the largest inland body of water on the Mornington Peninsula. Its water levels vary between 9,000mL and 13,360mL. Devilbend Reservoir was constructed in 1956 as a backup supply of water for the Mornington Peninsula. It was decommissioned in 2000-2001
116473556_2623579167893119_5868834889972813726_n.jpg

ooh look a orb! :)

116127467_676143423112090_9125297726847374499_n.jpg

and my paddock archery has plateaued point that i may need to upgrade the gear accuracy longer range

thumbnail_IMG_20200802_141432_1.jpg

so next 4 weeks stuck at home, at least my work is listed as essential.

new dog welcome to Bonnie 8 week kelipe our dear 17 yold pooch shuffled off 3 month ago we had this pup lined up for 8 weeks

thumbnail_IMG_20200826_093456_1.jpg
Toys are cheap atm $500 is value
thumbnail_IMG_20200827_121642_1.jpg

so were Stocks
%%%.PNG
chores
thumbnail_IMG_20200825_141547_1.jpg

we got our new cases down to under 100per day and dropping we should be out of stage 4 by mid September

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...ive-coverage/8434e18be66880f7848fa595a724eaa7

Daniel Andrews has reassured fatigued Victorians that he’s working on a pathway out of the state’s tough restrictions.
Victoria’s daily coronavirus cases number has dropped below 100, with 94 new infections recorded on Saturday alongside 18 deaths.
The last time the state recorded fewer than 100 cases was 55 days ago on July 5.
“Every day these numbers are falling, is a good day,” Mr Andrews said.

well my ISO paddock archery improved i bought a new bow and been getting used to it working out draw weight sighting peep and optics for POI over weekend i think the draws a bit long for me but wont change that till more sure.

I might miss this Covid lockdown been saving $ and enjoying about the house more than i should be

Sometime tomorrow I will sew my 800th mask for donation. I never would have expected to still be doing this at this point. (PPE is more available now and all, but there is a sense at the places I am donating that a mask in fun fabrics, or with super-heroes or football teams on it, is more likely to stay on faces!)

For fun I sewed two kits from NZ to make my own small whale kites, to go with a large and medium and small I already had.

I wonder if these would be any good for the other thread about judging size of unknown objects in the sky... I do note that lots of people ask about how big they are, and few have a guess that is close. Stacked like this, relative size is even hard to be sure of -- is the medium a big one but up a lot higher? -- though for the little 9 footers the reduced number of of belly-stripes and some simplification around the eye are a clue that they are, in fact, smaller...

(edited for a couple of typos...)

whales.jpg

COVID, college and being laid off have helped me discover the joys of cheap + lazy cooking with things I keep in my pantry.
Top new healthyish recipes I've discovered that actually taste good:
  • whole wheat naan
  • lentil dal
  • chana masala
  • a vegan mac and cheese that doesn't taste like cardboard and uses pantry spices
  • about 4,000 different varieties of lazy man's pasta for when I'm done with my three hour anatomy course that gets off late
  • fried rice way more than wanted because I panic purchased 60 pounds of Basmati in March (whoops)
  • completely homemade pizza about once a week
  • an unholy amount of DIY cheez-its
I need to create a sourdough starter next, but I got too attached to my last one, named it Frank Zappa, and both it and its child Dweezil died on me. :(

"I need to create a sourdough starter next, but I got too attached to my last one, named it Frank Zappa, and both it and its child Dweezil died on me. :( " - Tinkertailor

I know this site is supposed to be about claims and evidence and science, but that's too funny!! Ours is named Cicco (Chee-choo). Got it from our son, who got it from a friend, who got it from her Nona, who supposedly brought it from the Old Country.

And no, I don't have any evidence for this story, nor can I provide a Provenance for said Cicco. Its a completely 3rd hand anecdote. I'm hoping, as it relates to a sourdough starter, the moderators wont come down on my too hard. BTW, if your in the Nor Cal area, I can hook you up.

"I need to create a sourdough starter next, but I got too attached to my last one, named it Frank Zappa, and both it and its child Dweezil died on me. :( " - Tinkertailor

I know this site is supposed to be about claims and evidence and science, but that's too funny!! Ours is named Cicco (Chee-choo). Got it from our son, who got it from a friend, who got it from her Nona, who supposedly brought it from the Old Country.

And no, I don't have any evidence for this story, nor can I provide a Provenance for said Cicco. Its a completely 3rd hand anecdote. I'm hoping, as it relates to a sourdough starter, the moderators wont come down on my too hard. BTW, if your in the Nor Cal area, I can hook you up.
Thank you for the offer! I actually moved from rural Nevada County to LA a while back. Otherwise I'd gladly brave the world for a good starter.

Frank was white flour and did pretty well until my dad used him for pancakes ONCE and left me with like nothing to work with.

Dweezil was whole wheat flour because my dad hates whole wheat flour, and I thought that would prevent him from getting eaten again, and IIRC he was doing really well until I flew down to visit my boyfriend in LA for a month, and when I came home Dweezil had been coopted for waffles and left for dead. I tried again, but I had a tablespoon of Dweezil left and it was December. He didn't wanna breed.

Gotta get Moon Unit set up once I have a regular source for flour again, all this damn quarantining means that people suddenly want to bake and whatnot, and I'm not traipsing around the concrete jungle in a pandemic for flour.

I see we can post videos now into threads,, Hmm ok let's see if this works,, out in the iso paddock archery
practice today.

The aim of this thread is mostly to brainstorm/give other readers ideas of how to pass the time (so we don't all go nuts) in "isolation".

for example (aside from work and artistic pursuits) I often do jigsaw puzzles online. ex: Here is @Keith Beachy 's shopping cart
https://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=2a21d0ed0015

I also downloaded the Agatha Christy collection on Kindle (it was free) and i'm learning to hate this Hastings guy.
I also download and print every week a free Merle Reagle crossword https://www.sundaycrosswords.com/ccpuz/MPuz.php (these are old puzzles as he passed away).
Wow. Still on lock-down a year after this thread started. (My year in bed!)

Hey guys, just curious, how is it going for you in the States? I understand of course all states treat Covid differently, that's why.

Over here (The Netherlands), it is still one big shitty mess. Still major lockdown, "fieldlab" tests being cancelled, "the pubs" being opened again, but only 60% will be able to, and so forth. Still, no plan for the (near) future. That one worries me quite a bit.

I try to be positive. Not easy.

my state ..Connecticut (near New York).. is doing fairly well. we're opening bars/pubs for outdoor service only starting may 1st. theyve been closed since the pandemic beginning. restaurants and stores have been open for a while at at least 50%. They say well drop all restrictions may 19th but will still need to wear masks indoors.
Our vaccinations are going pretty well so far (knock on wood).. high vaccination rates amongst our elderly so that is good, and they have vaccine vans driving around city areas for people who cant travel well. even like 30% of our youngsters (16-40) have gotten their first dose so far. Really only fear is what New York brings in since we have alot of NY workers who live here and NYC sucks the big one as far as handling variants etc.

i'm personally pretty antsy now, but its my choice to wait on vaccine as i can stay isolated easier than most people who have to be out and about. Slots for vaccien are remaining open for longer periods though so ill probably get it in next week or two, since others arent using the slots.

spring is here and we have lots of outdoor place to go, so its better than most other states i think.

I've had my first vaccine dose (Moderna, at a local hospital, very efficient), and will be fully vaccinated in month. Round here (just east of Sacramento, Northern California) things feel fine, lots of outdoor dining, and the weather has been perfect for a couple of weeks. Movie theaters starting to open. All feels like the start of a return to normal. Mask wearing is pretty well observed indoors.

Take care all.

One thing that was brought to my attention just today was that the the first week or so after your jab seems to be when you're most susceptible to various ailments, including covid itself - so take extra care:

"Suspected COVID-19 cases that occurred within 7 days after any vaccination were 409 in the vaccine group vs. 287 in the placebo group." https://www.fda.gov/media/144245/download

Similar results apparently in Scotland https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/scotland_firstvaccinedata_preprint.pdf,
Denmark https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.03.08.21252200v1
, and Israel https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2101765

Me, I'm a bit of a hermit. I'll get the jab when someone tells me it's my time, but consider myself at the low end of the risk scale, so am happy to have others muscle to the front.

the first week or so after your jab seems to be when you're most susceptible to various ailments, including covid itself - so take extra care:
i'm wearing my raincoat with hood and i have a super mask, for my vaccine as i have to sit in plague central for 15 mins to see if i have an allergic reaction. :) (another side reason i thought i'd wait a bit, as the weather warms they are more likely to leave doors and windows open at the vac site! i dont care if people think i'm a nut. it's one of the benefits of getting old.. "when i'm old, ill wear purple!"

Back