Identified: UFO over Scotland, 2015. [Venus]

TEEJ

Senior Member.
I believe that this video is another case of Venus being misinterpreted? I've had a look at Stellarium for 1st February, 2015 and it matches for Venus setting. Flight Radar 24 shows one aircraft heading over the region but that would have passed over during the period of filming.

Rough geo for Kinlochard, Scotland.

56°11'21.1"N 4°29'35.5"W

56.189200 -4.493200

From the Video description.

Filmed 5.25pm on 1st Feb 2015 from Kinlochard, Scotland, looking South South West. Very bright large white (reddish) light moves across sky above hills. Filmed for over fifteen minutes this was definitely not a Chinese lantern (too large, too bright and too long in the sky), aircraft (No flight path and too low and slow) or helicopter (would have seen usual flashing green/red lights and heard something but object was silent plus the way it moved tells me not this type of aircraft). It moved slowly and silently. It went behind forest trees on top of the high hills which are approx one mile away and still appeared to be quite a bit further than this but even though it was some distance the size from where I was filming still appeared to be large and very bright. Judging distance and approximate location I would say that it was going over or flying close to Loch Lomond (Here is a rough idea where it may have been flying over: Grid ref – NS 39750-97783, Latitude:56.145741 Longitude: -4.5809916). Although it flew over a remote area of the Trossachs National Park others must have seen it and probably with a better view. Would be good to know what this was and if anybody else got to see it. So to re-cap, the object was large, was emitting a very bright white light with some red light also seen and looked at times to be pulsating. It moved silently and slowly and although I had filmed it for about fifteen minutes it would have been in the sky for longer but I had only noticed it as I was closing the curtains which is when I began to film. There is some blurring and camera shake on the film as I set the camera to manual focus and also to keep continuity of recording I carry on filming as I go upstairs to get a better view of the object.
Content from External Source

upload_2015-2-4_13-40-7.png

I'm no expert but isn't it "moving" too quickly for Venus though the rough directions sounds correct I would suspect an aircraft.

Last edited:
I'm no expert but isn't it "moving" too quickly for Venus though the rough directions sounds correct I would suspect an aircraft.
That was my first thought too, but then I thought about how long it takes the sun to get over the horizon at sunrise (or go "behind" at sunset), then it didn't seem impossible that another body could move that "quickly" in 15 minutes.

I've no idea if the two are really comparable though :) *edit* - Sun bigger/further away/"stationary", Venus smaller/nearer/orbiting the sun

Ray Von

Last edited:
I've just had a look at Stellarium and Venus set at 16:45 and that's without the hills

Last edited by a moderator:
At this date Venus sets about two hours after sunset. the angular velocity is simply that of the seemingly moving sky-sphere (actually it is the earth, of course),15° per hour. So Venus (and every other sky object) moves 3,75° in these 15 minutes. Thats about 7,5 full moons. With the strong zoom you see this is Venus for sure

My thoughts exactly but I've never stopped and watched how quickly it moves
Lol, gues what I'll be doing this evening? Looks like we'll have another clear sky.

But if you look at the map, there's at least two airports south of the viewer - GLA and PIK though as stated, FR24 shows no obvious candidates (though again, I realised FR24 doesn't show all aircraft) and from personal experience, this video closely resembles distant approaching aircraft from such a distance it'll never be heard.

Yes, this is 100% Venus. In the right place, right size, right speed, right angle. Unless it's some UFO trying to cover up Venus just for people in Scotland, then it's Venus.

Arrows indicate the direction of motion of the sky. Stellarium at 17:25 UTC (5:25PM GMT)

And the motion of the "UFO" (small red dots indicate various positions on the video)

It's going to be there every day (a bit higher every day now), so he'll see it again.

Last edited:
just asking for clarification....

I take it the 'object' (venus) appears square due to some effect of digital zoom?

just asking for clarification....

I take it the 'object' (venus) appears square due to some effect of digital zoom?

It's certainly a camera thing, although I'm not sure it's the zoom. By camera only goes to 20x digital, but highlights do come out square. It would be easy to verify if you had the same camera.

It's freezin out there! And I have to say, I wouldn't have believed it (Venus moving that quick in the sky) if I hadn't seen it for myself.

It moved the same speed as the moon and the stars. It's hard to see handheld unless it's close to the horizon. Here's a real-time video of the moon

I get a good view of Venus setting, I'll try to remember to video it, see what happens.

Thanks Mick for the graphics.

I agree, Balance. I also watched Venus tonight. It amazing how far it moves in 15 mins!

I've invited the person that filmed the Loch Lomond video over to the discussion.

A video showing different artifacts when filming.

This video heralds in the 19 month cycle of Venus as the evening star, also known as the '19 month- rash of YouTube videos about a "bright object in the southwest sky after sunset" and most youtube commenters adamantly refusing to accept that it is Venus-cycle'.

It moved the same speed as the moon and the stars.
Something I learnt today, though it should be obvious huh? I thought, being space and all, things (moon and sun) moved at different speeds/directions to the constellations with our earth's spin giving it yet another dimension. I've filmed the moon and it's a pita to keep in shot but my cheap camera can't pick up the stars. Need to find something better.

Something I learnt today, though it should be obvious huh? I thought, being space and all, things (moon and sun) moved at different speeds/directions to the constellations with our earth's spin giving it yet another dimension. I've filmed the moon and it's a pita to keep in shot but my cheap camera can't pick up the stars. Need to find something better.

They do all move, but the rotation of the earth is the biggest factor, so that's mostly what you see. The stars basically don't move at all, as they are so far away. The Moon moves the most relative to the stars, 1/28th of a full circuit ever day, but over a few minutes you can't really see it move relative to the stars so it looks like they move together.

I am SO happy that someone else knows about "Stellarium"!!

A FREE...I say again...FREE!!! program you can download....AND will run when you aren't on the Internet!! (I have had great fun with it....truly incredible resource!).

(Did I mention you can run it OFF of the Internet??.....)

(
Example....you can put "yourself".....your "point-of-view" on every planet in our Solar System....and just "play-around" and WATCH!! Incredibly fun!!!! YOU can also go to the Moon, and see the six Apollo landing sites....for example...AND see the sky as it was DURING every Apollo mission!!!!)

this is another fun bit of free kit that is good for amateur stargazers and wannabe star fleet captains alike
en.spaceengine.org
SpaceEngine - a free space simulation program that lets you explore the universe in three dimensions, from planet Earth to the most distant galaxies. Areas of the known universe are represented using actual astronomical data, while regions uncharted by astronomy are generated procedurally. Millions of galaxies, trillions of stars, countless planets - all available for exploration. You can land any planet, moon or asteroid and watch alien landscapes and celestial phenomena. You can even pilot starships and atmospheric shuttles
Content from External Source

This video heralds in the 19 month cycle of Venus as the evening star, also known as the '19 month- rash of YouTube videos about a "bright object in the southwest sky after sunset" and most youtube commenters adamantly refusing to accept that it is Venus-cycle'.

Oh good grief! I stumbled into the "Venus" not really "Venus" community. :eek:

Oh good grief! I stumbled into the "Venus" not really "Venus" community. :eek:
i dont know which part of that is my favorite. since i have a dirty mind the 'mushroom' exclamations were pretty funny, but then when mom shows up saying 'look its flying, look over there! look!' and the filmer replies 'i cant, if i take my eyes off Venus, i'll lose my place'... (9:00ish) i think i'll have to go with tht bit as my favorite.

I love the bit where she claims she's not touching the zoom but it's just getting bigger and bigger, although it gets bigger and smaller in a shaky way JUST like if someone was touching the zoom.

Lights off and Lights on mode also seem to correspond EXACTLY with the house's lights on and off modes. hmmmmmm

The first video is Venus, it is shot with no zoom (24mm). Unless you are bored and have lots of popcorn, the beginning and ending are all that is needed to demonstrate how long it takes Venus to travel through the field.

I also wanted catch it zoomed in, unfortunately by the time I zoomed in and pushed the shutter, a remnant of The Pineapple Express blocked Venus out. Jupiter was still in the clear, it is filmed at full zoom (500mm).

In the UK we have a long-time running astronomy educational TV series called "The Sky At Night" which last night was on the topic of space travel, exploration and possible other lifeforms and the "UFO" phenomena.

At the end, counting up the most misinterpreted UFO sightings, the top most-reported object was Venus, stating even some pilots have misidentified/reported it as approaching aircraft. So I feel vindicated now :)

Back