GMO conspiracy theories

The writers of it are known anti GMO activists, so even without having time to read it, being non biased is suspect. I will check it out tomorrow.

I would also like to know which part in particular.

I'll try..
1.2 MYTH:
Genetic engineering is precise and the results are predictable
TRUTH:
Genetic engineering is crude and imprecise, and the results are unpredictable
The first step in genetically engineering plants, the process of cutting and splicing genes in the test tube, is precise, but subsequent steps are not. In particular, the process of inserting a genetically modified gene into the DNA of a plant cell is crude, uncontrolled, and imprecise, and causes mutations – heritable changes – in the plant’s DNA blueprint.1 These mutations can alter the functioning of the natural genes of the plant in unpredictable and potentially harmful ways.2,3 Other procedures associated with producing GM crops, including tissue culture, also produce mutations.1

But manipulating one or two genes does not just produce one or two desired traits. Instead, just a single change at the level of the DNA can give rise to multiple changes within the organism.2,4 These changes are known as pleiotropic effects. They occur because genes do not act as isolated units but interact with one another, and the functions and structures that the engineered genes confer on the organism interact with other functional units of the organism.

Because of these diverse interactions, and because even the simplest organism is extremely complex, it is impossible to predict the impacts of even a single GM gene on the organism. It is even more impossible to predict the impact of the GMO on its environment – the complexity of living systems is too great.

In short, unintended, uncontrolled mutations occur during the GM process and complex interactions occur at multiple levels within the organism as a result of the insertion of even a single new gene. For these reasons, a seemingly simple genetic modification can give rise to many unexpected changes in the resulting crop and the foods produced from it. The unintended changes could include alterations in the nutritional content of the food, toxic and allergenic effects, poor crop performance, and generation of characteristics that harm the environment.

These unexpected changes are especially dangerous because they are irreversible. Even the worst chemical pollution diminishes over time as the pollutant is degraded by physical and biological mechanisms. But GMOs are living organisms. Once released into the ecosystem, they do not degrade and cannot be recalled, but multiply in the environment and pass on their GM genes to future generations. Each new generation creates more opportunities to interact with other organisms and the environment, generating even more unintended and unpredictable side-effects.

1. Latham JR, Wilson AK, Steinbrecher RA. The mutational consequences of plant transformation. J Biomed Biotechnol. 2006; 2006(2): 25376.

2. Wilson AK, Latham JR, Steinbrecher RA. Transformation-induced mutations in transgenic plants: Analysis and biosafety implications. Biotechnol Genet Eng Rev. 2006; 23: 209–238.

3. Schubert D. A different perspective on GM food. Nat Biotechnol. Oct 2002; 20(10): 969.

4. Pusztai A, Bardocz S, Ewen SWB. Genetically modified foods: Potential human health effects. In: D’Mello JPF, ed. Food Safety: Contaminants and Toxins. Wallingford, Oxon: CABI Publishing 2003:347–372.
Content from External Source
It's 'can, could' fear. Not necessarily wrong to be cautious and it's right to examine possibilities, but I've come to be suspicious of the agenda behind it.
I haven't checked the references for bias or thoroughness.

Can/could fear sums it up. The unpredictable effects a GM can have on nature make it a very risky endeavour to unleash onto the planet. Especially since these changes are irreversible.

When we're talking about a resource as critically important as the food supply, it would seem to me that great caution should be exercised. It's one area where we should avoid shooting first and asking questions later.

Corn is naturally subject to a lot of mutations. GMO gene insertion is much more precise than cross breeding and orders of magnitude more precise than causing mutations with radiation or chemicals. Not only that but every GMO crop will have it's entire genome mapped. Then there are the studies of it, before it is allowed in production.

There is more caution here than there is in 'natural' breeding.

The Maize Genetics Cooperation Stock Center, funded by the USDA Agricultural Research Service and located in the Department of Crop Sciences at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, is a stock center of maize mutants. The total collection has nearly 80,000 samples. The bulk of the collection consists of several hundred named genes, plus additional gene combinations and other heritable variants. There are about 1000 chromosomal aberrations (e.g., translocations and inversions) and stocks with abnormal chromosome numbers (e.g., tetraploids). Genetic data describing the maize mutant stocks as well as myriad other data about maize genetics can be accessed at MaizeGDB, the Maize Genetics and Genomics Database

Primary sequencing of the maize genome was completed in 2008.[27] On November 20, 2009, the consortium published results of its sequencing effort in Science.[28] The genome, 85% of which is composed of transposons, was found to contain 32,540 genes (By comparison, the human genome contains about 2.9 billion bases and 26,000 genes). Much of the maize genome has been duplicated and reshuffled by helitrons - group of rolling circle transposons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

Can/could fear sums it up.

Have you investigated any of the claims, references, or individuals involved? How much of the report has been examined independently, and by whom? Nearly all the references I followed trace back to anti-GE/GMO advocates and NGOs. At first glance I must say it looks an awful lot like scaremongering mixed with political ideology and cheaply disguised in a labcoat. A number of issues raised (in a different section) regarding Roundup, glyphosate and toxicity are included from an earlier report, which has recently been investigated and addressed by the APVMA (available here in .pdf). Their conclusions dispute EOS's claims.

Corn is naturally subject to a lot of mutations. GMO gene insertion is much more precise than cross breeding and orders of magnitude more precise than causing mutations with radiation or chemicals. Not only that but every GMO crop will have it's entire genome mapped. Then there are the studies of it, before it is allowed in production.

There is more caution here than there is in 'natural' breeding.

And the studies that are done prior to production, you're satisfied with the source?

Have you investigated any of the claims, references, or individuals involved? How much of the report has been examined independently, and by whom? Nearly all the references I followed trace back to anti-GE/GMO advocates and NGOs. At first glance I must say it looks an awful lot like scaremongering mixed with political ideology and cheaply disguised in a labcoat. A number of issues raised (in a different section) regarding Roundup, glyphosate and toxicity are included from an earlier report, which has recently been investigated and addressed by the APVMA (available here in .pdf). Their conclusions dispute EOS's claims.

So, I'm curious, what do you think is the source of the GM backlash?

Yes I am. Since non GMO crops are tested the same ways, but without having their genome sequenced.

Look at this way. Your company depends on repeat business, are you going to risk letting an inferior product be sold to hundreds of thousands of customers?

There are several sources of it, some of it is coming from 'snake oil' salesmen like Mike Adams and Dr Mercola. Another source is the general anti big business sentiment that is seen on the far left. Add in organic producers that want to increase their market (Organic food is free of GMO so it is 'safe'). And it is something that most folks have trouble understanding. They hear mutation and think of Godzilla.

A large number of the anti GMO folks are also active in the anti vax movement as well.

If the EUs decision was based on anything other than protectionism and unfounded fears, you might have a point.

None of the EU's own studies or those done by the EU government have found an reason to not allow EU crops. Even the Vatican study of the existing studies concludes no reason to ban them. The EU has a history of protectionism of agricultural products. There was a major dispute over bananas a few years back.

It's pretty easy to reach an anti corporate conclusion when this is the behavior being exhibited.

The problem though is that the general public is getting swept away by anti-corporate or political hype without even bothering to familiarize themselves with the scientific issues. A lot of well-meaning people are being misled by ideologues.

Are some companies' business practices undesirable, or at the very least bad for PR? Most likely.
Will partisan (or international) politics continue to complicate biotech issues and trade? Probably.
Does the above somehow suggest that the GE/GMO crops themselves are unsafe? No -- which is reflected in the AAAS position statement on labeling: (.pdf)

The EU, for example, has invested more than €300 million in research on the biosafety of GMOs. Its recent report states: “The main conclusion to be drawn from the efforts of more than 130 research projects, covering a period of more than 25 years of research and involving more than 500 independent research groups, is that biotechnology, and in particular GMOs, are not per se more risky than e.g. conventional plant breeding technologies.” The World Health Organization, the American Medical Association, the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, the British Royal Society, and every other respected organization that has examined the evidence has come to the same conclusion: consuming foods containing ingredients derived from GM crops is no riskier than consuming the same foods containing ingredients from crop plants modified by conventional plant improvement techniques.

So many readers fail to make these necessary distinctions.

The problem though is that the general public is getting swept away by anti-corporate or political hype without even bothering to familiarize themselves with the scientific issues. A lot of well-meaning people are being misled by ideologues.

Just to clarify, the above blurb from me was economy wide, not specifically GMO/BioTech. But, your kind of minimizing human rights abuses with the term undesirable, don't you think?

Then we have the right to impose limits on the import of champagne or Parmesan cheese or any other EU product.

Where did human rights abuses enter this discussion?

There was backlash against trains because they moved too fast

Sure, but the trains didn't have a history of poisoning the planet did they?

They also know that for nearly 40 years, while producing the now-banned industrial coolants known as PCBs at a local factory, Monsanto Co. routinely discharged toxic waste into a west Anniston creek and dumped millions of pounds of PCBs into oozing open-pit landfills. And thousands of pages of Monsanto documents -- many emblazoned with warnings such as "CONFIDENTIAL: Read and Destroy" -- show that for decades, the corporate giant concealed what it did and what it knew.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0101-02.htm

Then we have the right to impose limits on the import of champagne or Parmesan cheese or any other EU product.

Where did human rights abuses enter this discussion?

Absolutely, you do.

Human rights as an extension of the anti-corporate sentiment. From my vantage point, how a company interacts with stakeholders, both internal and external, sheds light on its motives and practices. Not everything can be determined by science.

My neighbor is an asshole and I don't need to run an experiment to confirm it. Somewhere along the line reason and judgement come into play. My distrust of Monsanto lay largely with their documented abuse and disregard for employees and the environment. A company that acts in this manner is simply not to be trusted.

Bringing up what Monsanto did almost 50 years ago is a red herring in the discussion of GMO crops. If you want to discuss that, start a new thread for it.

Did you know that many other companies and even universities produce GMO crops?

You're clearly ignoring another dimension of the issue if you think an established pattern of destructive behavior is somehow a Red Herring.

No you are changing the subject from GMO crops, that are produced by many groups to Monsanto. They are not the same thing.

As I said if you want to discuss the evils of Monsanto as a company, then start another thread. Now do you want to discuss GMOs or Monsanto?

From my perspective, when more than 80% of US corn and more than 90% of soybeans planted each year are attributable to Monsanto, the history, identity and actions of the company as it relates to the safety of their product is indeed related.

It's this culture that fosters an environment where accurate testing cannot be completed or if it is, it's stifled by the industry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/20/business/20crop.html?_r=0

First I do not see those percentages anywhere in that article. In fact the article mentions more than one company.

There has been a HUGE amount of testing, both in the US and in the EU by both governments and independent researchers.

Here are some links to check out. Some of these links may be repeats, as I keep stuffing more in a file, I would suggest that you also read the several threads here on GMO here on metabunk

A Decade of EU-funded GMO Research

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7hhP5QasNtsX1AwV2YzNnlrZTA/edit?pli=1

BioFortified's Independent Studies

http://www.biofortified.org/genera/studies-for-genera/independent-funding/

GMOPundits 600 Studies

http://gmopundit.blogspot.com/2007/...6/150-published-safety-assessments-on-gm.html

http://gmopundit.blogspot.com/p/450-published-safety-assessments.html

http://www.researchgate.net/post/GM...ientific_evidence_that_questions_their_safety

http://sleuth4health.wordpress.com/2013/06/17/ive-looked-at-gmos-from-both-sides-now/

1. If you have read GMO Myths & Truths/Earth Open Source, please also read Response To GM Food Myths/AgBioWorld.

2. If you have read the book or seen the documentary Genetic Roulette/Jeffrey Smith, please also read 20 Questions on Genetically Modified foods/World Health Organization (WHO) or Top 20 Urban Myths about GM Crops/Academics Review or Effects of genetically modified T2A-1 rice on the GI health of rats after 90-day supplement/Scientific Reports or The 35S Promoter Has Been Thoroughly Researched/Academics Review.

3. If you have read the study A Long Term Toxicology Study On Pigs Fed Combined GM Soy & GM Maize Diet/Carman, Vlieger et al, please also read Fate of transgenic DNA and protein in pigs fed genetically modified Bt maize and effects on growth and health /Ph.D. Thesis or The Effect of Feeding Bt Maize to Pigs for 110 Days on Intestinal Microbiota /Plos One or Lack of care when choosing grain invalidates pig feed study /Biofortified or Nine recent publications on feeding GM maize to pigs,/GMO Pundit (his list of nine includes two of the studies I already listed)

4. If you have read GMO Feed Turns Pig Stomachs to Mush/Natural News or New GMO Study Raises Health Concerns/Rodale News, or Proof of GMO Harm/Zen Honeycutt of Moms Across America, please also read the following blog posts: GMO Pigs Study – More Junk Science/Mark Lynas, From ‘I smell a rat’ to ‘when pigs fly’, bad science makes its rounds/Cami Ryan, The Evidence of GMO Harm in Pig Study is pretty flimsy/Control Freaks, More Bad Science in the Service of anti-GMO Activism/Science Based Medicine, The New Pig Study Gets An “F” In Science/Sleuth4Health, When the Science Sucks, You Can Have it Both Ways!/Illumination, Pigs, GMOs, & Bullshit/Random Rationality

5. If you’ve read Glyphosate’s Suppression of Cytochrome P450 Enzymes and Amino Acid Biosynthesis by the Gut Microbiome: Pathways to Modern Diseases/Samsel & Seneff, please also read Safety Evaluation and Risk Assessment of the Herbicide Roundup and Its Active Ingredient, Glyphosate, For Humans/Pubmed.

6. If you’ve read the Stunning Corn Comparison/Moms Across America with Howard Vlieger, the Illumination post mentioned in number four above serves to counter at least some aspects of the corn comparison.

So, I'm curious, what do you think is the source of the GM backlash?
Apart from the vested interests that depend on ideological opposition to the concept, there is also the industry of internet articles and sentiment that generates click-traffic and advertising aimed particularly at anti-science/distrust authority/natural/alternative medicine-types.

Can someone confirm or deny this sentiment?

But manipulating one or two genes does not just produce one or two desired traits. Instead, just a single change at the level of the DNA can give rise to multiple changes within the organism.2,4 These changes are known as pleiotropic effects. They occur because genes do not act as isolated units but interact with one another, and the functions and structures that the engineered genes confer on the organism interact with other functional units of the organism.

Because of these diverse interactions, and because even the simplest organism is extremely complex, it is impossible to predict the impacts of even a single GM gene on the organism. It is even more impossible to predict the impact of the GMO on its environment – the complexity of living systems is too great.
Is this a warranted fear?
What would be an example of a plausible disastrous unforeseen consequence? Is there precedent for this?
(with reference to these studies used for the opinion, for those who understand science-speak.)
1. Latham JR, Wilson AK, Steinbrecher RA. The mutational consequences of plant transformation. J Biomed Biotechnol. 2006; 2006(2): 25376.

2. Wilson AK, Latham JR, Steinbrecher RA. Transformation-induced mutations in transgenic plants: Analysis and biosafety implications. Biotechnol Genet Eng Rev. 2006; 23: 209–238.

But, your kind of minimizing human rights abuses with the term undesirable, don't you think?

There's no need for loaded questions. I'm doing nothing of the sort, and honestly find the insinuation offensive.

My post addressed public perceptions and common pitfalls in reasoning. If you wish the conversation to follow such a different route you should start a focused, separate thread.

What would be an example of a plausible disastrous unforeseen consequence? Is there precedent for this?

Based on this, I get the idea their concerns are exaggerated.

Concern has been expressed about the randomness with which genes are inserted into the host by current genetic engineering processes. This could, and does, result in pleiotropic and insertional mutagenic effects. The former term refers to the situation where a single gene causes multiple changes in the host phenotype and the latter to the situation where the insertion of the new gene induces changes in the expression of other genes. Such changes due to random insertion might cause the silencing of genes, changes in their level of expression, or, potentially, the turning on of existing genes that were not previously being expressed. Pleiotropic effects could be manifested as unexpected new metabolic reactions arising from the activity of the inserted gene product on existing substrates or as changes in flow rates through normal metabolic pathways (Conner and Jacobs, 1999).

Unexpected and potentially undesirable pleiotropic or mutagenic changes in the genome of the host do occur (e.g., see a recent listing by Kuiper et al., 2001), but these would likely be revealed by their effects on the development, growth, or fertility of the host, or by the extensive testing of its chemical composition compared with isogenic untransformed plants, which is a necessary part of any safety evaluation of transgenic crops.

In the U.S., since 1987, the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service has completed over 5000 field trials with more than 70 different transgenic plant species. The only unexpected result was a mutation in a color gene and gene silencing through changes in the methylation status of these genes that led to unexpected color patterns in petunia flowers. Both of these effects are also seen in conventional plant breeding (Meyer et al., 1992). While the possibility of an undetected increase in a toxic component in a new food cannot be entirely eliminated, the current safeguards make this unlikely, and no toxicologically or nutritionally significant changes of this type are evident in the transgenic plants so far marketed for food production.
From: The Safety of Genetically Modified Foods Produced through Biotechnology

Thanks for sending Carienn. I was going to ask you to send over a few things.

Are you aware of any long-term GMO studies that have been done? Sorry if one of those is in your post above. At work, so haven't had a chance to look.

Also, just curious if you've read Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Dr. Price.

There is no way to do a long term study in humans. I have seen anti GMO folks call for multi generational human studies. I guess that they never considered what it would take to set one up.

There are some fairly long term studies in there. We can also look at the simple fact that livestock around the world is being fed on GMO feed and if there were any health problems, the ranchers would be quick to notice.

The only way to do a long-term study is to have GMO available to the general population and to keep health records for 50-100 years. So if people want that they have to stop resisting GMO's.

Off topic but has anyone else seen the petitions over the winners of the 2013 World Food Prize?
http://action.sumofus.org/a/world-food-prize-monsanto-syngenta/?sub=mtl

Essentially it is like a Nobel Prize awarded to individuals. This year it is shared between 3 but 2 work for Monsanto and Syngenta so people are foaming at the mouth. I have been providing a link and asking why their breakthrough work should not be recognised and have either been blocked or met with silence.
http://www.worldfoodprize.org/en/laureates/2013_laureates/

Isn't it well within their right to object what they view as an American industry? Whatever their reason may be.
It is within their rights but, given the economic implications, one would hope that their decisions would be based on sound scientific study rather that fear mongering by special interest groups and ideologues that are willing to take advantage of the lack of specific knowledge in the general public to spread misinformation and promote their political and economic agendas.

Can someone confirm or deny this sentiment?

(with reference to these studies used for the opinion, for those who understand science-speak.)

Manipulating the genes of plants by standard practice, changes the whole DNA of the plant. Trial and error verses precise change. Sounds like going backwards to me.

The comments there are so reflective of the comments I see on many articles.

Right now there is health alert out for several batches of chicken from Foster Farms in Cal, because of salmonella contamination. Foster's is one of those smaller producers of free range, humanely treated chicken. Most of the posts under the article railed against the big producers, some even name Tyson as the offender.

Back