Flight Deck video.

TWCobra

Senior Member.
Made during my rare breaks from debunking... Airports include Sydney, Melbourne, Singapore, Jakarta, Shanghai, JFK, LAX and Auckland... Enjoy.

Did you notice the cavalier disregard I had for my own safety by deliberately flying below and behind a "chemtrailing" aircraft?

That is just awesome stuff, Cobra!
If the peanuts are free, I'm signing up!

Somehow I guess I always thought (hoped?) there was greater distance from other planes…
but I'm sharing this with my flight-loving pals...

Made during my rare breaks from debunking... Airports include Sydney, Melbourne, Singapore, Jakarta, Shanghai, JFK, LAX and Auckland... Enjoy.

You make me wish I wasn't retired (minor sniffle, sob sob). :cool:

What an extraordinary job of editing!!

To add...in a way, referring to being retired...the FAA here in the States have taken much of the joy out of it, anyways. A new NPRM was issued, and will implement in about two months...prohibiting the use of laptop computers and cellphones while on duty, on the Flight Deck. I'm not talking merely the 'sterile cockpit' rule below 10,000 feet, either.

But, what "they" can't see, "they" can't slap one's wrist for...like my crossword puzzle addiction at 35,000 feet.

"One" more thing: Your (both you and the FO's) headsets -- Telex?

It's interesting that at Continental they installed Plantronics for us, as standard equipment (happens to be my preference too). Of course, anyone could use his or her headset of choice, though!

Last edited:
Thank you. What camera was used?

p.s. Don't let your boss see you can work that fast, they'll demand it all the time.

I have a couple of GoPros which, when they work as advertised, are perfect for this.

The headsets are Sennheisers.

The headsets are Sennheisers.

Ah! Unfamiliar with those...I am guessing they are very comfortable, or else you wouldn't use them? I suffer from a slight aversion to full "over-the-ears" headsets, due to several years of enduring those despicable Dave Clarks!

(Perhaps it is just me, but all I could think of was "head clamp" and Torquemada...one (infamous) leader known for.....the Spanish Inquisition!)

Monty Python: "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

Last edited:
I also can't help but notice some difference from the Airbus EFIS, to the Boeing displays. I have ZERO experience in Airbus glass cockpits, other than an occasional jumpseat ride on the A320...some (mmmphh) years ago.

Your FD command bars are green? Boeing uses magenta. (The DC-10, "round-dial", but also a dual-cue FD, painted them yellow. The B727, single-cue FD chevrons in orange!) Also, the EHSI in Map, the active route is green? Again, a difference...Boeing uses magenta for "active", white for "proposed or not active". This includes waypoints farther along the active route. And in several views of the EHSI I can see off-route waypoints...VORs and intersections in magenta...you must have selected what I sometimes call the "clutter switches"?

Typical B767 EHSI panel:
http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9d89ebf8b845.jpg

("NAV AID" "ARPT" "RTE DATA" "WPT")

En-route, they're good for situational awareness...but again, Boeing paints them in white, if they're not in the "active" flight plan, or actively being navigated to. Funny how the avionics programmers choose to be "different", for the different manufacturers.

Still, even an an older "dog" can keep learning....

I have about 10000 hours on 767s and 747s so I know the differences. EFIS on both is pretty similar. The Airbus doesn't have track up but does have a drift diamond. The colours you just get used to. I probably prefer the Boeing style but there is not much in it.
The Boeing FMCs are more user friendly, but I am used to the Airbus one now.
I am living proof you can get used to anything. At this stage of my career I am unlikely to fly a Boeing again, which is a pity, but I may get a gig on the A380 in a few years which would be a great way finish up. I would have really enjoyed the 777 but not to be it seems.

Nice video, yes you are quite cavalier with the health of yourself and your passengers by flying so close to chemtrails, shame.. (Sarcasm)

Sennheiser, those would be top line I believe.

As a comm tech for Transport Canada I repaired a few ATC headsets. Got a call to check out the headset of a ground controller, his receive audio was bad.Opened up the covering to discover the speaker had a hole in it. The hole was at the end of a squiggly line of pen ink. Seems he got bored and inserted his pen through the covering's air holes.
That must be why they get paid the big bucks.

I thought better of asking him what he did with his belly button.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to do a video like this. I just don't know how. If you have the chance let me know how you did this. I have a lot of video that I've taken over the years.

Nice work TW, if you or your pilot mates can get me and dear wife to Auckland this Friday I'd be grateful,, i'm told it the newish Jetstar 787 Dream liner.

I've always wanted to do a video like this. I just don't know how. If you have the chance let me know how you did this. I have a lot of video that I've taken over the years.

One or two GoPro Hero cameras stuck to the windscreen with custom suction cup mounts will give you most of these shots. Edit with Sony Vegas.

Well done Mike. Great footage and editing. My favorite scene, which brought back awesome memories, was the darkened flight deck only illuminated with the instrument lighting. Flash back to periscope depth at night with a smile.

TW, I saw this (obviously fake) pilot "selfie" shot, and thought of you. :)

I can't tell y'all how much I've learned from the great pilot contributions on this site…

selfie-win.jpg

I can't tell y'all how much I've learned from the great pilot contributions on this site…

selfie-win.jpg

I found this on the InterWebz a while back, and it made me LOL!

(I use it for an avatar, in some other places....) :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

selfie-win.jpg

That's a good one....I found this a while back on the InterWebz...let's see if I can upload it properly this time:

It just makes me laugh, every time...not to seem cruel, but...I can't help finding it hilarious...my sense of humor...maybe it's only me?

Last edited:
That's a good one....I found this a while back on the InterWebz...let's see if I can upload it properly this time:

It just makes me laugh, every time...not to seem cruel, but...I can't help finding it hilarious...my sense of humor...maybe it's only me?
It's not just you. Odds are, that kid did something to deserve it.
It reminded me of a great windshield bit by Bruce Baum…it's 2:50 in…

It reminded me of a great windshield bit by Bruce Baum…it's 2:50 in…

Bruce Baum! I (slightly) remember him! His career should have been better. I "Wikied", and he's still around.

Personally, I liked the bit at 1:58 to 2:17

(Holding a) bunch of flies, over the globe of the World: "Ahh!! I'm way too high!!" (That seems to have gotten one of the biggest laughs...made me chuckle, too).

Back