Fake Looking UFO Filmed From Airplane Window

Is it perhaps an idea to try to replicate the scene doing that exact same thing? So, playing a video of a wingtip seen from the cabin of a plane while recording that video screen from behind a piece of plexiglass and a desk lamp?

it should be done with pre-2007 software though.
You're asking for pre-2007 plexiglass and a pre-2007 desk lamp?

You're asking for pre-2007 plexiglass and a pre-2007 desk lamp?
Any recreation needs to take into account the object going behind the wing, if a fake this indicates some level of compositing however it was performed.

1651475266993.png

Any recreation needs to take into account the object going behind the wing, if a fake this indicates some level of compositing however it was performed.
Yeah, the video playing behind the plexiglass needs to be produced somehow; but could be done physically with a cardboard wing and saucepan lid.

no, I am talking about the software which will be used to composite the scene. i dont think it's full practical, but a combination.
If Ravi's theory with the plexiglass pans out, I don't think you need any software to re-create this scene.

If Ravi's theory with the plexiglass pans out, I don't think you need any software to re-create this scene.

Then you posit a physical mode of a wing recreated for the video against a blue-sky backdrop, rather than a video of a wing from a 737 window? That does add more complexity to the artifice.

1651475266993.png

On Saturday afternoon I learned enough Blender to figure out how how to make this with some footage I found on YouTube

I'll work on the animation next to make it more like the original, then I'll render a longer clip. Degrading the quality by overcompressing the video will also help to fuzz things up and hide the CGI-ness.

When animating this I found another tell that the original is fake — the perspective on the saucer is all wrong. In order for us to see the top of the disc when it's at the bottom of the frame, and the underside when it's at the top, you need a much wider focal length than the ~70mm equivalent that we've established was used to record the wing tip (and the saucer would also need to be much closer than the end of the wing).

no, I am talking about the software which will be used to composite the scene. i dont think it's full practical, but a combination.
It's so low quality it could be done a number of ways, is there any evidence that the wing and/or sky aren't static image(s)? Simple to cut out the wing on green/transparent in photoshop, add your 3D "saucer" that you rendered over the sky photo/background, layer the wing cutout back over top, play it back on a screen while using scratched plastic to diffuse the pixels and to add a "window look" while shaking about and "panning" for the movement, add some blur, compress to potato resolution and done. The result from that may have even been filmed a second time to add an additional layer of shake/noise/etc. I'm not saying for certain that's how they did it, but I first used PS and Premiere back in about 2005 and that software was more than capable of what I described.

I don't think it requires any advanced rotoscoping or tracking, although they could have done it frame by frame, all in 3D, or with physical models combinations, but that seems unnecessary since there's no apparent sky/wing movement.

Last edited:
The saucer looking so similar to a blue 'Le Creuset' style enamelled cast iron pan lid is what makes people think it's likely practical effects for the object at least. Maybe not but it does seem an odd choice to so closely recreate that specific shape.

Then you posit a physical mode of a wing recreated for the video against a blue-sky backdrop, rather than a video of a wing from a 737 window? That does add more complexity to the artifice.
less complexity, because a) the wing can be a cardboard cut-out as the camera position does not change and b) compositing the lid with the wing cut-out "in hardware" is simpler than doing it in software.

Last edited:
less complexity, because a) the wing can be a cardboard cutout as the camera position doss not change and b) compositing the lid with the cutout "in hardware" is simpler than doing it in software.
I suspect that we are on the right track either way I am always surprised a bit when I see movie recreations behind the scenes, often simpler things are way more effective than we expect.

The saucer looking so similar to a blue 'Le Creuset' style enamelled cast iron pan lid is what makes people think it's likely practical effects for the object at least. Maybe not but it does seem an odd choice to so closely recreate that specific shape.
I actually started out with a (slightly modified) Le Creuset lid at first — from a 3d stock model website.

1651503763407.png

But it's actually very easy to model a round object, you just have to draw half of its cross section in a join-the-dots fashion, and then use the "spin" operator to turn it into a solid.
1651504075507.png1651504185244.png

I remembered this technique from all the way back in the Amiga days, so definitely something a novice could do in 2008.
1651504335836.png1651504373911.png

less complexity, because a) the wing can be a cardboard cutout as the camera position doss not change and b) compositing the lid with the cutout "in hardware" is simpler than doing it in software.
The compositing step was surprisingly simple too. First I had to stabilize the video which was literally as simple as clicking on two or three points on the wing with high contrast and pressing "Ctrl+T".

1651504620901.png

Now you have to define a mask, which you can just do by drawing a 2D vector shape over the wing in its stabilized position.
1651505118392.png

Or you can mess around with the image contrast etc. to dynamically generate a mask directly from each video frame:
1651505933292.png
(this is a bit more involved as you also need to draw a "garbage mask" to cover up the extra cloud pixels — but this can just be a couple of large rough rectangles, no precision needed).

Either way, once you have the mask, you just tell the renderer not to generate pixels for this part of the screen.

1651506876997.png

Then you overlay the rendered image on top of the stabilized video, and I added some postprocessing blur and glare to glue everything together visually.

So I think this would actually require a lot less effort than rigging up cast iron pot lids, making a cardboard model wing etc. The scratched glass would be a lot easier to do practically though, because it would be very hard to generate accurate masks for fine detail like that.

All of these techniques would have been possible in Cinema 4D or Blender back in 2008, it would have just been a bit slower. For reference, these frames take about 4 seconds to render at 1080p on a five year old PC.

Attachments

• 1651505951912.png
    1651505951912.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 1651505843494.png
    1651505843494.png
    182 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
I actually started out with a (slightly modified) Le Creuset lid at first — from a 3d stock model website.

1651503763407.png

But it's actually very easy to model a round object, you just have to draw half of its cross section in a join-the-dots fashion, and then use the "spin" operator to turn it into a solid.
1651504075507.png1651504185244.png

I remembered this technique from all the way back in the Amiga days, so definitely something a novice could do in 2008.
1651504335836.png1651504373911.png

The compositing step was surprisingly simple too. First I had to stabilize the video which was literally as simple as clicking on two or three points on the wing with high contrast and pressing "Ctrl+T".

1651504620901.png

Now you have to define a mask, which you can just do by drawing a 2D vector shape over the wing in its stabilized position.
1651505118392.png

Or you can mess around with the image contrast etc. to dynamically generate a mask directly from each video frame:
1651505933292.png
(this is a bit more involved as you also need to draw a "garbage mask" to cover up the extra cloud pixels — but this can just be a couple of large rough rectangles, no precision needed).

Either way, once you have the mask, you just tell the renderer not to generate pixels for this part of the screen.

1651506876997.png

Then you overlay the rendered image on top of the stabilized video, and I added some postprocessing blur and glare to glue everything together visually.

So I think this would actually require a lot less effort than rigging up cast iron pot lids, making a cardboard model wing etc. The scratched glass would be a lot easier to do practically though, because it would be very hard to generate accurate masks for fine detail like that.

All of these techniques would have been possible in Cinema 4D or Blender back in 2008, it would have just been a bit slower. For reference, these frames take about 4 seconds to render at 1080p on a five year old PC.
Exactly, this is my point. Its so easy to make a huge variety of disc etc shaped objects in Blender etc, why make one that looks exactly like a pot lid with the black handle and blue colour and everything. This is what makes me think it's a practical effect with an actual pot lid, but it's just a thought.

Exactly, this is my point. Its so easy to make a huge variety of disc etc shaped objects in Blender etc, why make one that looks exactly like a pot lid with the black handle and blue colour and everything. This is what makes me think it's a practical effect with an actual pot lid, but it's just a thought.
If you look at some of the other videos on that channel at the time, it is reminiscent of somebody playing around learning visual effects. Perhaps the 3D software simply came packaged with (or downloaded somebody's) demo models of a teapot or something else with a removable lid, and they thought it looked like a flying saucer and it gave them the idea to simply fly it about? or maybe it's just coincidence that their design looks that way. It moves incredibly smoothly for the alternative of it being a physical object manipulated by hand.

Last edited:
If you look at some of the other videos on that channel at the time, it is reminiscent of a somebody playing around learning visual effects. Perhaps the 3D software simply came packaged with (or downloaded somebody's) demo model of a teapot or something else with a removable lid, and they thought it looked like a flying saucer and it gave them the idea to simply fly it about? or maybe it's just coincidence that their design looks that way. It moves incredibly smoothly for the alternative of it being a physical object manipulated by hand.

The animation to emulate the movement in the flyby video is extremely simple, these are the X and Y location curves I ended up with:
1651577718232.png

Just three keyframes with curves interpolating the points (I did also tweak the saucer's tilt with another, even simpler, curve).

I think the reason that the "flyby" video doesn't scream CGI is because it's so simple — an experienced 3D animator might have flexed their skills and made a more complex UFO with lights or engines, they might have animated it suddenly accelerating off screen at the end, or at least doing something more interesting. But it almost looks too boring for someone to have bothered making it — filming it through the scratched up plastic is the touch that brings it to life.

The animation to emulate the movement in the flyby video is extremely simple, these are the X and Y location curves I ended up with:
1651577718232.png

Just three keyframes with curves interpolating the points (I did also tweak the saucer's tilt with another, even simpler, curve).

I think the reason that the "flyby" video doesn't scream CGI is because it's so simple — an experienced 3D animator might have flexed their skills and made a more complex UFO with lights or engines, they might have animated it suddenly accelerating off screen at the end, or at least doing something more interesting. But it almost looks too boring for someone to have bothered making it — filming it through the scratched up plastic is the touch that brings it to life.
Indeed the trajectory is very smooth for something that would be quite heavy dangling from a string etc.

What angles did you use for the saucer's tilt? I am thinking that the animator (from the original fly-by vid) made a perspective mistake.

Last edited:
Its so easy to make a huge variety of disc etc shaped objects in Blender etc, why make one that looks exactly like a pot lid with the black handle and blue colour and everything.
The "Laziness Factor" should never be overlooked. The caveat there is that the laziest way to do something will vary with available resources and skills. If you dont have a handy teapot lid, but do have something like Blender and have or are acquiring the skills to use it, you are in a different position, laziness-wise, than if you don't have Blender but do have a well-stocked kitchen and a taste for tea.

Here's my lunchtime attempt at filming the 3D animation off screen, compressed down to appropriately poor quality. The scratches on the plastic wouldn't stay in focus unfortunately, as my phone kept wanting to auto-focus on the screen. But I think it reconstructs the main elements of the original fairly faithfully.

What angles did you use for the saucer's tilt? I am thinking that the animator (from the original fly-by vid) made a perspective mistake.
About 20 degrees toward the camera and 10 away. I mentioned what I think you're alluding to up-thread somewhere — to get the perspective of looking down on the saucer at the bottom of frame, and looking up from below when it's at the top of frame, either it has to tilt back and forwards at the correct times, or it was rendered with a much wider angle lens than the physical plane footage was shot with (or the object was placed much closer to the virtual camera than the distance to the wing tip).

Last edited:
Here's my lunchtime attempt at filming the 3D animation off screen, compressed down to appropriately poor quality.

A tiny request - can you clearly watermark stuff like that, so that it can't be picked up by a malfeasant and used to fool others, or waste their (or our) time?

(By which you may interpret that, yes, I think it's good enough to be picked up by the kinds of people who picked up on the original.)

Here's my lunchtime attempt at filming the 3D animation off screen, compressed down to appropriately poor quality. The scratches on the plastic wouldn't stay in focus unfortunately, as my phone kept wanting to auto-focus on the screen. But I think it reconstructs the main elements of the original fairly faithfully.

View attachment 51163

About 20 degrees toward the camera and 10 away. I mentioned what I think you're alluding to up-thread somewhere — to get the perspective of looking down on the saucer at the bottom of frame, and looking up from below when it's at the top of frame, either it has to tilt back and forwards at the correct times, or it was rendered with a much wider angle lens than the physical plane footage was shot with (or the object was placed much closer to the virtual camera than the distance to the wing tip).

The focus thing is interesting to me, if the scratches are in focus what does the gap between screen and plastic need to be.. DoF of the camera as well..

The focus thing is interesting to me, if the scratches are in focus what does the gap between screen and plastic need to be.. DoF of the camera as well..
Yes it depends on a bunch of stuff - how big's the screen he filmed it off, how bright was it, how fast is the lens, how big is the sensor etc. A phone camera probably isn't the best choice to replicate it. When the scratches were in focus, the scene was definitely slightly out of focus, but I don't know if you could tell once it's been down-rezzed and overcompressed. I'd say my "window" was about 9 inches from the 13" laptop screen, and I used an iPhone 12 on 2x optical zoom. A DSLR might be a better match for the original camcorder's optics.

Yes it depends on a bunch of stuff - how big's the screen he filmed it off, how bright was it, how fast is the lens, how big is the sensor etc. A phone camera probably isn't the best choice to replicate it. When the scratches were in focus, the scene was definitely slightly out of focus, but I don't know if you could tell once it's been down-rezzed and overcompressed. I'd say my "window" was about 9 inches from the 13" laptop screen, and I used an iPhone 12 on 2x optical zoom. A DSLR might be a better match for the original camcorder's optics.

Send me your original video I have a variety of cameras including an older sony camcorder, not sure I have the scratched up plexiglass though

It's just odd because it looks like the camera is close because of the size of the ring, but the closer you focus the narrower your dof is

Last edited:

Agreed, and this is what is a very large indicator (for CGI). I don't even think this tilting is possible in reality, as the disc will then 'shoot up or down' when tilting (due to the wind/speed), which we don't see. Ok, I forgot ufos can ignore wind :-D

Send me your original video I have a variety of cameras including an older sony camcorder, not sure I have the scratched up plexiglass though

It's just odd because it looks like the camera is close because of the size of the ring, but the closer you focus the narrower your dof is
The original "flyby" video isn't exactly what you'd call sharp though, aside from the reflections.

I can also re-render this one without the artificial blur added at the end, if you want to see how much detail you can resolve in both planes.

edit: added the non-blurred version.

Attachments

• saucer-anim.mp4
    1.9 MB
  • saucer-noblur.mp4
    2.2 MB
Last edited:
Here's a brier explainer video that summarizes some of the arguments for this being a CGI hoax.

The section beginning at 0:25 shows how the view of the plane's wingtip had to have been filmed with a camera pointing rearward from the wing root.

From 1:09 there's an examination of the position of the camera's reflection, and how this contradicts the camera angle used to film the wing.

The hoax video is then reproduced using CGI and the technique of re-filming through a fake window, from ~2:12.

Finally, it demonstrates that the original uploader had the skills and tools necessary to pull this off in 2008.

The "Laziness Factor" should never be overlooked. The caveat there is that the laziest way to do something will vary with available resources and skills. If you dont have a handy teapot lid, but do have something like Blender and have or are acquiring the skills to use it, you are in a different position, laziness-wise, than if you don't have Blender but do have a well-stocked kitchen and a taste for tea.

In this case I'm guessing it was the "Humor Factor" even more so than laziness.

Back