Explained: Square in a NASA photo? [Centaur Landing Reference Grid]

George B

Extinct but not forgotten Staff Member
Last edited by a moderator:

Leifer

Senior Member.
...perhaps a highlighted area to examine ?
The caption says, ".....(they) review early results from the centaur and spacecraft impacts.

You seem to think this rectangle is "raw data".
Is it ?
Why not write them and ask them about the photo ? Answers are often there, if you investigate before accuse.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/FOIA/agency/

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
There's an extensive discussion of that photo here:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread819278/pg1

With an explanation from Anthony Colaprete (whose arm is resting on the photo in question):

Last edited:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
Debunking tip: use an online image search, like Google Images. Save the image on your desktop, then drag it into Google Images, and then you can see if other people have already debunked it.

Robbert

There's an extensive discussion of that photo here:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread819278/pg1

With an explanation from Anthony Colaprete (whose arm is resting on the photo in question):
Dear Mister West,

Although it has been several years this picture made some disturbance in the UFO scene, I would like to add something to it. First and foremost this is not the way to debunk something. You have done no proper research and also took the explanation from a NASA employee for granted. Let me address the following. You have to understand that NASA doesn't use any grid patterns anymore to pinpoint a specific location on the lunar surfacve since the mid seventies after they mapped the whole lunar surface in a incredible detailed way. How I know? A very good friend of mine was a frame engineer through the nineties at NASA. So let's assume the grid is not being used, what is it what we are seeing? As being a former environmental engineer I can see more anomolies that are being out of place and not do not represent natural shapes. I have examined this picture together with some technical engineers and what we see more is that the grid shows depth. However your debunk tip does not make up for the fact you should take it for granted by stating that this is the result from a simple drag and drop. Now as far as it goes for the depth in the grid we see light coming from the north east that reflects the surface as it does for the the rooftop of this structure. We measured the light strength on this picture and the conclusion is that the light of the rooftop has the same strength as the surroundings. The shadow on the rooftop has the same angle as the shadows in the environment.

Then in the left corner of the structure we see another structure that resembles the same features with perfect angles. Nature doesn't build in perfect angles. Another issue is the picture itself. If you plot a grid on a grainy picture the grid itself is sharp and detailed. This so called grid has the exact same grainy look as the rest of this picture. That should not be possible. And the last thing I would like to add is that this so called structure cast its own shadow on the lunar surface. Our conclusion is that there are several structures on this pictures, no grid is being used, light and shadow are undeniably there, light strength is the same as the exact grainy overall look of this picture. I am not here to attack you, but just want to show you a different perspective to look at this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
You have to understand that NASA doesn't use any grid patterns anymore to pinpoint a specific location on the lunar surfacve since the mid seventies after they mapped the whole lunar surface in a incredible detailed way. How I know? A very good friend of mine was a frame engineer through the nineties at NASA.
Unless you can back that up, then the rest of your post is irrelevant. Remember this is specifically for identifying a landing spot based on a video image. How else would they do it?

Colaprete also supplied the images from the 3D model (from which the photo came)

It's quite obviously just a reference grid.
Metabunk 2019-05-11 09-27-04.jpg

But if you wish to continue to make a case, I'd encourage you to use images, and not descriptions. It really not clear what you are referring to.

Unless you can back that up, then the rest of your post is irrelevant. Remember this is specifically for identifying a landing spot based on a video image. How else would they do it?
Plus, even if true, it isn't relevant. "Through the nineties" isn't particularly useful when referring a program that stood up in 2004. Plenty of time to start doing things differently, especially when considering that LCROSS was a sister mission to LRO's mapping project.

Amber Robot

@Robbert

“You have done no proper research and also took the explanation from a NASA employee for granted. Let me address the following. You have to understand that NASA doesn't use any grid patterns anymore to pinpoint a specific location on the lunar surfacve since the mid seventies after they mapped the whole lunar surface in a incredible detailed way. How I know? A very good friend of mine was a frame engineer through the nineties at NASA. ”

Interesting how while chastising Mick for taking the word of a NASA employee you do the exact same thing.

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Explained: New Navy UFO Videos UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 69
Cassi O Polaris Height Perspective Explained (No math required) Flat Earth 1
Mick West Explained: RARE Video Footage of "Alien Space Craft" WATCHING ISS Astronaut! UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
A Explained: astronaut's movement causes lunar flag to wave in Apollo 15 footage Conspiracy Theories 0
Mick West Explained: The "Many Faces" of Patrick Crusius, the El Paso Shooter Conspiracy Theories 22
Mick West Explained: "Beam of Light" in To The Stars Academy header images UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: "UFOS" in Donald Trump's Crowd Photo on 4th of July UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 3
D Explained: Photo of 747 with Contrails Only on One Side [Fake, April Fool] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Qulaey Explained: 17.61 Mile Mirror Flash Supposedly Proves Flat Earth [Refraction] Flat Earth 5
Mick West Explained: The Navy's New "UFO" Reporting Guidelines UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 32
Mick West Explained: "It's photoshopped because it has to be" Flat Earth 3
Mick West Explained: Jet Chasing UFO: X-45A and F/A-18B Formation Flight Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Trailblazer Explained: video of concentric circular "chemtrails" (E-3 Sentry AWACS plane, Feb 1 2019) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Rory Explained: How Mount Rainier helps demonstrate the shape of the globe Flat Earth 38
creatonez Explained: Why the Earth does not look oblate in photos from space Flat Earth 0
MikeG Explained: EU Army Deployed to Paris Conspiracy Theories 1
Mick West Explained: Unexplained Green Light During Thunderstorm Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Explained: Flashes of Light During the World Trade Center Collapse 9/11 5
Mick West Explained: House "Cut in Half", Tubbs Fire, Santa Rosa, Coffey Park Wildfires 0
Mick West Explained: Burnt Cars on California Beach [TV Set] Wildfires 1
Mick West Explained: Unknown Brewing Company UFO UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: Why Kavanaugh's Calendar PDF looks Edited [OCR] Current Events 0
Mick West Explained: Mysterious Red Planet Like Object Filmed Next To The Moon. Atglen [Reflection] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: Podesta 14 + Fish [Promotional Tweet for UN Global Sustainability Goals] Conspiracy Theories 7
Mick West Explained: Dark Streak UFO Photo - Barn Swallow + Motion Blur UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: DEW Energy Beam Starting Forest Fires - Dirty Lens, Light Streak Conspiracy Theories 13
Mick West Explained: A Dozen Or More Southern Valley UFOs UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Mick West Explained: Floating Triangle UFO in Buenos Aires Google Maps [Bridge] UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Rory Explained: Space Shuttle Footage Reflection of Face [Shot Through Window] Conspiracy Theories 5
Mick West Explained: Washington State Island "Mystery missile" - Helicopter Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 49
Andrew Gillett Explained: Squares in the sky? [Reflection of lights in a window] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 18
Mick West Explained: Mysterious lights over Milwaukee [Seagulls, Night Exposure Trails] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 27
Mick West Explained: Why Some Marjory Stoneman Douglas Shooting Google Search Results Predate the Event Conspiracy Theories 1
Priyadi Explained: Why We Don't See Satellites in Photos Taken From The ISS Flat Earth 1
Trailblazer Explained: Vatican "chemtrail spraying" coin [part of set depicting Pope's travels] Contrails and Chemtrails 4
deirdre Explained: Mysterious burning crater in Mexico spurs UFO crash speculation (Garbage pit) UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal 0
Benjamin Moore Explained: Why Earth Has A Magnetic Core Even Though the core is Molten Metal Flat Earth 2
FlightMuj Explained: Photo from ISS shows "open window" [Scratch Cover] Flat Earth 2
Mick West Explained: "Smoke Trails" On 9/11 World Trade Center Falling Debris [Dust/Powder] 9/11 10
Mick West Explained: Roy Moore Two Color Yearbook Signature [Depth of Field Chromatic Aberration] Conspiracy Theories 34
Mick West Explained: Why Planes Get Dented Nosecones - It's Mostly Birds General Discussion 4
Mick West Explained: Unburned trees next to burned down structures as evidence of secret "energy weapons" Wildfires 119
Mick West Explained: Photo of "UFO" Used in Connection with Nimitz Incident [Balloon] UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 8
Mick West Explained: Mexico City Earthquake Lights [Power Line Arcing and Transformer Explosions] Science and Pseudoscience 30
Mick West Explained: Cloud Seeding Weather Modification in Texas before Hurricane Harvey Contrails and Chemtrails 1
Bunkmeister Explained: Coast Guard Geographic Range Table promoted by flat earthers Flat Earth 15
Mick West Explained: Charlottesville Car Attack License Plates - Ohio GVF 1111 (and GVF 1122) Conspiracy Theories 2
FlightMuj Explained: NASA documents stating a flat Earth??? Linear Aircraft Models Flat Earth 7
FlightMuj Explained: 443 km distance- mountains visible. Flat Earth 13
Mick West Explained: Manurewa NZ, 'Extra-terrestrial' Fireball Jumps Up [Contrail, Altitude change] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Related Articles

Related Articles