Explained: 82nd Airborne: "A Storm Is Coming" - Operation Devil Storm

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
2020-12-16_09-29-12.jpg
"'Storm coming" is a joke I use whenever the the weather looks a bit dark. It's an old Yorkshire reference (like "there's trouble at 'mill"), a folksy comment meant to invoke the idea of a gruff old farmer looking out over the field at oncoming clouds.

It's also a very common metaphorical phrase used in movies and books. A search of the movie/TV data base QuoDB returns over a thousand results.

2020-12-16_09-40-06.jpg

It also represents a foundational belief in the QAnon theory, dating back to a random comment Trump made about "The Calm Before The Storm" in 20172020-12-16_09-44-43.jpgIt was likely he simply said something that randomly popped into his head, but the QAnon people took it to mean that there as about to be a great roundup of all the deep state criminals in an operation called "The Storm". That has been constant predicted as being just around the corner (with constant cries of "it's happening") but of course nothing ever happens.

With Trump's election loss the possible window of the storm is rapidly closing, so when the 82nd Airborne Division posted the phrase "A Storm is Coming" on Facebook on Dec 8th 2020, the QAnon folk immediately too that as yet another sign.

2020-12-16_09-57-21.jpg

Not only was there the phrase, but there were photos of troops preparing. Surely this was the much heralded "storm" coming to round up the Democrats, the Bankers, and the Hollywood perverts? The comments section certainly seemed to reflect that hope.
But the truth was rather mundane, as the Facebook post went on:
Article:
1st Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division
Dec 27 at 2:21PM

Final preparations today for Devil Storm...

The morning started with the Combined Arms Rehearsal (CAR) - the Brigade walk-through of the planned operation, during which Company/Battery/Troop commanders, along with sustainment leaders, brief the team on the base plan of executing the mission.

The day closes out with Sustained Airborne Training (SAT) for all Paratroopers who will be jumping into the fight.
The Storm is upon us...watch it unfold this week!
#StrikeHold #AATW #DIBP #DevilStorm

"Watch it unfold this week," they said a week ago. The week has come and gone, and nothing happened. Trump is still losing. Hollywood is still intact. Nobody of note is in jail.

"A storm is coming" here refers to Operation Devil Storm, a regular training exercise held by the 1st Brigade Combat Team of the 82nd Airborne Division, known as the "devils". It ended on the morning of December 11th.
2020-12-16_10-13-19.jpg
2020-12-16_10-12-51.jpg

And that's really all there is to it.

Last edited:

Mendel

Senior Member.
"There's trouble at the mill" is actually a very real observance, since the millers used the position of the sails to send simple messages (like "taking a long/short break"):
Article:
Trouble at the Mill.png
When the upper sail has been fixed after having passed through the highest position, it means that the culminating point has been passed and life is going downhill, meaning that there is a reason for mourning.

So when the windmill looks like this, the farmer who sees it from afar knows that there's "trouble at the mill".

Mick West

Administrator
Staff member
So when the windmill looks like this, the farmer who sees it from afar knows that there's "trouble at the mill".
Except we don't have windmills in Yorkshire. "Trouble at 'mill' originally referred to the wool mills, usually some kind of industrial action or riot.

Gundersen

Senior Member.
I even think this saying is present in many languages, as signs of bad weather coming has been obvious to humans in thousands of years. In Danish, we say the same, almost. "Det trækker op til uvejr", roughly translates to "bad weather is moving in".

Grey/dark skies are signs of bad times in literature and movies while rain is portraying sadness. I suspect this is due to our lives used to be so dependent on weather and seasons. I doubt everybody using weather as a metaphor is referencing some secret scheme.

FatPhil

As a Brit, I can concur that my interpretation of just the single word "mill" defaults mostly to "woolen/textile mill", but "water mill" would be an easy interpretation if I knew a river was nearby. I'd never even think of "windmill".

Searching for "wind mill", stargpage (google?) yields: "Did you mean: windmill".
Searching for "water mill", yields the top hit: "A watermill or water mill..."
Which I think supports the thesis that they're special enough that they have their own word, and confusing a mill with a windmill would be a rarety in English.

[Aside: I used to work in a building which was an old water mill at the time my mother was doing a mixed humanities degree, and she'd just been studying the history of the (woollen) mills and children's/workers' rights. One of her materials was a poster that began "Rules to be Obeyed at this Mill", and promptly went right downhill from there, which I put up next to my desk for general amusement.]

Thread starter Related Articles Forum Replies Date
Mick West Explained: Mysterior Tower of Light in Shenyang, China General Discussion 3
N Explained: "Jellyfish object" video in Russia [Rocket Launch] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 11
Oystein Debunked: Claim that Bobby McIlvaine's injuries ("lacerations") are best explained as result of glass shards and debris from bombs 9/11 22
W What exactly does “Explained:” mean in a thread title? Site Feedback & News 2
Mick West Explained: Birdwatcher's "Amazing UFO", Burwell Fen, UK. [C-130 Landing Lights] UFOs and Aliens 2
Mick West Explained: Tic-Tac UFO San Jacinto, Highway 62, California [Blimp] UFOs and Aliens 0
DavidB66 Explained: UFOs viewed from the ISS - Squid Boats UFOs and Aliens 16
A Explained: UFO Filmed from a Helicopter in Kamchatka, Russia. May 31, 2021 [Fake] UFOs and Aliens 2
R Explained: Video of Vandenberg UFO shooting down ICBM [reenactment] UFOs and Aliens 8
DavidB66 Explained: Student in Teignmouth, Devon sees UFO [Moon Obscured by Clouds] UFOs and Aliens 35
Q Explained: HomeSteadHow "UFO" Photos [Helicopter] UFOs and Aliens 53
Mick West Explained: Why Magnets Stick To Vaccination Sites (Or Your Nose) Conspiracy Theories 18
Mick West Explained: Odd Looking Bidens/Carters Photo - Not Fake, Just Perspective General Discussion 74
Mick West Explained: UFO Filmed With Telescope [Loon Balloon] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 2
Mick West Explained: Sky Mapping at the Seattle Space Needle [Virtual, Not "Blue Beam] Conspiracy Theories 0
Patrick Gonzalez Explained: Why Biden is boarding C-32 instead of VC-25 Election 2020 35
TEEJ Explained: Inaguration Photos from Different Angles Show Different Backgrounds. Election 2020 9
P Explained: Exactly 5.55555556% (1/18) of votes for Trump across multiple precincts [Cherry Picked, Expected Ratios] Election 2020 20
DavidB66 Explained: Boris Johnson Photo With Confusing Reflection of Phone Cord Election 2020 12
Mick West Explained: Wingless Tic-Tac UFOs Moving Erratically Behind Trees UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 1
Mick West Explained: 9:33 AM ET Time on NPR Story about Storming the Capitol Election 2020 0
A.G. Explained: Covid-19 research with pre-2020 dates in Google search results Coronavirus COVID-19 4
Mick West Explained: "Disappearing needles" in Covid Vaccinations Coronavirus COVID-19 1
Mick West Explained: Fulton County, Georgia, "Suitcases" of Ballots being Scanned Election 2020 1
Z.W. Wolf Explained: Red Mirages, Blue Shifts, and Data Dumps in the 2020 Election Election 2020 21
Mick West Explained: Trump's Claim of Suspicious Early Morning Michigan Bump [It's Detroit] Election 2020 1
Mick West Explained: New Navy UFO Videos UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 210
Eleora Explained: "Quantum Dots" - Storing medical information below the skin’s surface Coronavirus COVID-19 13
Cassi O Polaris Height Perspective Explained (No math required) Flat Earth 1
Mick West Explained: RARE Video Footage of "Alien Space Craft" WATCHING ISS Astronaut! UFOs and Aliens 1
A Explained: astronaut's movement causes lunar flag to wave in Apollo 15 footage Conspiracy Theories 0
Mick West Explained: The "Many Faces" of Patrick Crusius, the El Paso Shooter Conspiracy Theories 22
Mick West Explained: "Beam of Light" in To The Stars Academy header images UFOs and Aliens 0
Mick West Explained: "UFOS" in Donald Trump's Crowd Photo on 4th of July UFOs and Aliens 3
D Explained: Photo of 747 with Contrails Only on One Side [Fake, April Fool] Contrails and Chemtrails 21
Qulaey Explained: 17.61 Mile Mirror Flash Supposedly Proves Flat Earth [Refraction] Flat Earth 5
Mick West Explained: The Navy's New "UFO" Reporting Guidelines UFO Videos and Reports from the US Navy 32
Mick West Explained: "It's photoshopped because it has to be" Flat Earth 3
Mick West Explained: Jet Chasing UFO: X-45A and F/A-18B Formation Flight Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 6
Trailblazer Explained: video of concentric circular "chemtrails" (E-3 Sentry AWACS plane, Feb 1 2019) Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 3
Rory Explained: How Mount Rainier helps demonstrate the shape of the globe Flat Earth 38
creatonez Explained: Why the Earth does not look oblate in photos from space Flat Earth 5
MikeG Explained: EU Army Deployed to Paris Conspiracy Theories 1
Mick West Explained: Unexplained Green Light During Thunderstorm [Water on Lens, Caustics] Skydentify - What is that Thing in the Sky? 7
Mick West Explained: Flashes of Light During the World Trade Center Collapse 9/11 5
Mick West Explained: House "Cut in Half", Tubbs Fire, Santa Rosa, Coffey Park Wildfires 0
Mick West Explained: Burnt Cars on California Beach [TV Set] Wildfires 1
Mick West Explained: Unknown Brewing Company UFO UFOs and Aliens 0
Mick West Explained: Why Kavanaugh's Calendar PDF looks Edited [OCR] Current Events 0
Mick West Explained: Mysterious Red Planet Like Object Filmed Next To The Moon. Atglen [Reflection] UFOs and Aliens 0
Related Articles

Related Articles